Best Source for DirectStream/PWD

Today I bought a Pink Faun Streamer.

earlier I auditioned a Nad M50 to stream in to the DS. The Nad was a big jump in SQ compared to the computer and laptop I tested.

With the Pink Faun there’s another big jump in SQ compared to the Nad.

The difference from a dedicated laptop to the Pink Faun Streamer is at least as big as the switch from the PWD MKII to the DS.

The big advantage with the Pink Faun compared to a computer is the very high quality linear power supply. For now I only tested the USB output, later more about the I2S output.

Frode said
I provided a link above.....(?)
Yes missed it, will be interested in comparison.
wijnand said For now I only tested the USB output, later more about the I2S output.
Congrats :)

Waiting in suspense for your I2s verdict.

Do you have a link to some marketing material?

Thanks! And off course!

http://www.pinkfaun.nl/portal/productaanbod/dac-streaming-audio/1441-audio-streamer

It is a dutch website so you have to translate. I will look for an English website.

Could not find an English website so a translation about the streamer below.

The Pink Faun audio streamer is a Windows based music streamer that playback of digital music to the next level. The basis of this streamer is formed by an Intel motherboard which is fed by a in-house developed linear power supply which promoted the sound quality. Not only the audio streamer, but also of the other audio equipment which is connected to the same group. The power supply consists of a low B transformer, what stress yields to a pi filter with 50,000 uF flattening of capacity. This voltage is passive linear regulated (with very high bandwidth, for low Hf inkoppeling) to the motherboard. Furthermore, the tension even more passive linear regulated for a separate power supply to the USB or I2S bridge card that the communication with the DAC. Furthermore, the power supply a large 10 mm fuse, check polarity of the mains and the computer remotely by another device by Pink Faun to on or off.

The Pink Faun audio streamer has a SSD hard drive and is fully passively cooled. This produces the Pink Faun audio streamer 0dB sound in full company. The Pink Faun audio streamer music plays all formats including WAVE and FLAC to 32/192, DSD and DXD.

By default, the Pink Faun audio streamer with the highly reliable operating system Windows 8. At Pink Faun, we believe that equipment used for audio applications as simple and direct as possible must be built up, this money, of course, to our audio streamer. Unique to the Pink Faun audio streamer is therefore that we have adjusted the operating system about 250 points, making the sound quality and performance to a large extent be stowed.

For installed on the Pink Faun audio streamer is j. River media center software, which is currently the most complete package for high-quality music to stream. J. River media center also offers a very high degree of operating convenience from an iPad, iPhone or an Android device.

When buying a Pink Faun audio streamer will give you a detailed explanation of the operation of j. River media center, manage your music collection and the optimally configure your DAC.
To choice is the Pink Faun audio streamer with the Pink Faun I2S-bridge of a high-quality audio USB output.

Thanks for taking the time to translate, wijnand!

Frode :)

PS:

What is the MSRP for this unit?

No problem, I used google to translate :-)

The price in Europe is 1175€ without I2S and 1450€ with I2S

Wijnand

For all those looking at I2S compatible sources for the DS, I would advise a degree of caution. The DS is much more insensitive to jitter than almost any other DAC, and the benefits of I2S are therefore lessened relative to other inputs. I am in a rather fortunate position in that my W4S ms2 server has USB, I2S, coax, AES/EBU and streaming to the bridge as output options. Some of you may remember I found the I2S input the best option when using the PWD2.

However, I2S output needs very careful implementation to keep the clock signal properly timed and free from interference. The DS ignores this carefully de-jittered signal, meaning the expense of implementing I2S output from the server is wasted. I have recently compared all outputs from the W4S server again, this time into the DS. The biggest differences realised were with cable changes. My previous reference for SQ was the I2S output using Wireworld silver starlight 7 HDMI cable. That has now been bested by the USB input with my new JCAT USB cable.

Based on some vague knowledge that the JCAT cable is unique for its treatment of ground potential, it makes me think prospective buyers of servers/streamers for the DS would do well to invest their money in improved power supplies and a JCAT cable, rather than I2S output. I think the SQ of something like the Bryston BDP2 can be attributed to its attention to power supplies and discrete regulation. Likewise, servers from Aurender, Lumin and Antipodes are a step in SQ above due to the power supplies. There are other factors to consider, of course, but the DS with JCAT cable broadens the field of servers to choose from, rather than narrowing it.

I appreciate your I2s elaborations but I think you might missed the most important point here, Stereophilus.

At least from my perspective, the fact that it is still unclear whether or not (or when) the USB input will accomodate a native 2xDSD driver, still makes this solution of interest/viable. And, yes I know that DoP over USB is said to match native DSD on SQ. And my own results announced herein indicate that the S/PDIF is on par with the USB, so I support your view about jitter insensitivity on the different inputs.

Fair enough, I have disregarded DSD and 2xDSD in my thoughts as I don’t own any music in that format, and I don’t aspire to.

SPDIF vs USB is interesting. My own thoughts are that SPDIF can match USB, but it is even more cable dependent. That is, in my experience, you need a (usually much) more expensive cable for SPDIF to match USB. YMMV on this one.

I am using this one since I need to go BNC-RCA:

http://www.nordost.com/products/digital-interconnects/leif/blue-heaven-digital-interconnect.php

S/PDIF is actually BNC.

I like Nordost cables too, although they are a bit expensive. I think you will notice an improvement over the Blue-Heaven as you go up the range, even when using the DS as your DAC. My preference in price/performance is:

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Platinum-Starlight

And for absolute performance:

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Sarum-Tune-Array-Digital

They can be specified as BNC.

My wireworld platinum starlight digital (RCA) at $1000AUD is no match for the JCAT USB at $450AUD in my system.

Frode said

S/PDIF is actually BNC.

Actually, no. The S/PDIF specification (which is both hardware and protocol, specifies a 75 ohm cable with RCA or optical TosLink - not BNC. BNC is specified for the similar AES3 (AES/EBU) protocol used in pro audio if one is running single ended. (AES is preferably run balanced, with XLR connectors.)

BNC is favored as a commercial video and pro audio connector as it locks, and is designed to match the characteristic impedance of the connecting cable without reflection and transmission loss. This explains why Bryston and Benchmark (as a couple of examples) use them as they are originally pro audio companies.

RCA is a cheaper connector and was thus adopted for lower voltage, shorter runs consumer use.

For those who would like a multichannel AV streamer, which also can be used for a stereo setup.

http://www.qualityhifi.nl/Augustus_2014/Pink_Faun_AV_streamer.html

Elk said
Frode said

S/PDIF is actually BNC.

Actually, no. The S/PDIF specification (which is both hardware and protocol, specifies a 75 ohm cable with RCA or optical TosLink - not BNC. BNC is specified for the similar AES3 (AES/EBU) protocol used in pro audio if one is running single ended. (AES is preferably run balanced, with XLR connectors.)

BNC is favored as a commercial video and pro audio connector as it locks, and is designed to match the characteristic impedance of the connecting cable without reflection and transmission loss. This explains why Bryston and Benchmark (as a couple of examples) use them as they are originally pro audio companies.

RCA is a cheaper connector and was thus adopted for lower voltage, shorter runs consumer use.

Thanks for this clarification, Elk.

My impression is that those delivering BNC is more likely to conform to the 75 Ohm spec.

In my case I needed a 75 Ohm digital interface cord having BNC in one end (Lumin) and RCA (DS) in the other end. My Lumin does not support AES/EBU 110 Ohm and I suppose my 75/110 Ohm RCA/XLR adapter is not a better solution.

Frode said I appreciate your I2s elaborations but I think you might missed the most important point here, Stereophilus.

At least from my perspective, the fact that it is still unclear whether or not (or when) the USB input will accomodate a native 2xDSD driver, still makes this solution of interest/viable. And, yes I know that DoP over USB is said to match native DSD on SQ. And my own results announced herein indicate that the S/PDIF is on par with the USB, so I support your view about jitter insensitivity on the different inputs.

To Ted and/or Paul: is a native DSD driver planned and, if so, on which port?

Given that there is a driver involved I guess it has to be on the USB input.

The DS I2s already supports DSD natively (but I will leave any further elaborations up to Ted and Paul, as requested).

Elk said

But Elk, as I’m sure you know, the physical characteristics of the RCA connector make it impossible to meet a 75 Ohm impedance. Not even remotely close for digital transmission.

Well my verdict of the I2S output of the Pink Faun Streamer. It’s more or less the same as the usb output. I need to do some serious listening to point out the differences. If they are there they probably are very small.

Maybe this is the strenght of the DS. When the signal is good then probably the input is less important. :-)

The Pink Faun Streamer is sensitive for a good powercord. Thinner cords keeps the sound airy and natural.

alcarp said

To Ted and/or Paul: is a native DSD driver planned and, if so, on which port?

The “I2S” inputs already support native DSD.

I suspect that there will be a USB driver/XMOS code update that will support native DSD at some point tho I couldn’t guess when it would be released.