Best Streamer for GCD?

I just recently purchased a Bluesound Node 2i , through Amazon ( 30 day trial )I own a Oppo 205 & PS audio Direcstream DAC for streaming service I use both Quboz & Tidal ,& Youtube videos::grinning:I use a Don Sachs DS 2 tube Pre amp & QuickSilver 60 watt mono tube amps , I wanted just a Streamer as a source for my music , previously I was using Nvida Shield , I am surprised as to How good is the DAC inside the Blusound node 2i of course the DS beats it ! but yet I wonder if their is any value in getting a $1500 .00 to 2K Streamer I simply like the way it sounds I have pretty high-end resolving speakers which are 97.5 db efficient , what would a good quality streamer be without a DAC ?

I have a cheap X100L for sale 899,23 USD - 1T
Lol

More love Denmark

I have the SGCD + S300 compo with the Stream Box S2 Ultra. Very happy with it.
Just be aware you may need to update the SGCD USB port to be compatible with Linux system. The Stream Box uses Volumio software which is Linux based.
I got my SGCD in October last year and PSA installed the USB upgrade free of charge. Thanks PSA.

Howeverā€¦ I read a SGCD review wich also covered the I2S input on the SGCD and gave it a better listening rating than the other inputs. This confirms the claims of PSA.
The options for streamers/network bridges with an I2S connection over HDMI are rather limited. After some research, my short list is limited to:

1. MATRIX X-SPDIF 2: Converter from USB, SPDIF or Optical in to I2S Out (https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/matrix-xspdif-usb-int)
  2. Rasptouch LVDS Streamer: A Raspberry Pi based streamer with screen (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-rasptouch/rasptouch-lvds-streamer-i2s-hdmi-audio-gd-compatible-iis-p-12030.html)
  3. Magna Hifi Mano Music Streamer:
  4. Cocktail Audio Pure Digital Music Server with database, CD Ripper, Network Streamer:
    (Links for #3 and #4 in a separate post. As a newbie I can only insert 2 links per post)
    I would be interested to find out if anyone has experience with any of the products above. Also @PSA what is your opinion on any of these as far as the I2S interface is concerned?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

#3 Magna Hifi Mano Music streamer with I2S over HDMI output: https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/mh-he-pi2s (ULTRA version: https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/mano-ultra)

#4. Cocktail Audio Pure Digital Music Server with database, CD Ripper, Network Streamer: http://www.cocktailaudio.com/home/sub01.php

Both beautiful devices.

But be aware:

Only up to DSD 64 (single DSD sample rate) or 24 bit 192 kHz via I2S.

DSD 128 (2xDSD) or DSD 256 (4xDSD) are via USB output only.

DSD 128 and 256 have become common formats on Blue Coast Music.

The SGCD does not accept DSD 256 anyway, neither I2S nor USB.

In case highest possible resolution files are what you are looking for, buy the AURALiC Altair G1, it does it all including the A/D conversion in those high resolutions except of ripping the CD, which you can do on your PC or MAC. You can plug it into the balanced analog inputs if you have those available.

If you are good with DSD 64 via HDMI and 24 bit 192 kHz. PCM these devices will do it all for you.
You could consider utilizing the USB as secondary connection, to utilize the higher resolutions up to DSD 128 and 24 bit 384 kHz PCM.

Like said DSD 256 the SGCD can not handle.

Thanks for the feedback.
I am currently using a USB connection via the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra.
The only reason I am looking for an I2S connection is that, according to some reviews, it produces a better result. But then only for standard resolution files I suppose.

Well, my next question : Does DSD over PCM produce equal results as native DSD?

DSD over PCM causes no noticeable difference because the SGCD utilizes a digital lens (buffer) and then pulls the music data out of the buffer at its own clock speed. It dos this with USB and all other inputs.

I play my downloaded DSD 128 and ripped red book CDā€™s from my iMac via an audio grade 5 m long Atlas Element USB SC cable. The sound is good enough, as a matter of fact really good.

Iā€™d rather invest in an I2S disk player if I already had a decent streamer like your Project. Especially because the I2S does not support the higher resolutions anyway.

I can comment on this specific setup.

Iā€™m a GCD owner along with S300 with Monitor Audio Silver 300ā€™s.

My initial setup was using the Bluesound Node 2 connected via coax using the GCDā€™s DAC (this is a no-brainer as the DAC in the GCD is much better than the Node 2ā€™s.

I upgraded to the SOtM SMS 200 streamer and this was an improvement over the Node 2 (subtle, but improvement).

Using Audirvana with the SMS 200, streaming Tidal, and converting to DSD is, I would suggest, a must. This is a clear improvement using the SMS 200.

I further upgraded the SMS 200 with the Matrix and this was ANOTHER improvement.

I further upgraded the Matrix using an Sbooster 9v with ultraā€¦another improvement.

Iā€™m running the SMS 200 with an ifi 9v walwart upgrade.

Soā€¦altogether the upgrades probably represent a cost of $1,000 my actual cost (SOtM SMS 200, Matrix, Sbooster, ifi, and of course the IS2 cable too from PS Audio going from the Matrix to the GCD).

So, worth the extra $1,000 instead of the $500 (ish) of the Node 2?

Absolutely. The sound quality improvement is without a doubt noticble. So much more musicality and subtlety to the music. It truly is remarkable. Now, the user interface and convenience of the Node 2 beats the SMS 200 and Audirvana in my opinionā€¦not to mention the need of using a laptop in the mix.

Still, when I do critical listening - EVERY TIME I use the aforementioned setup over the Node 2. Totally worth it IMO.

Thanks - this is valuable feedback.
Do you run ROON music server by any chance?

No I use old fashion Apple iTunes (Apple Music) Server app with manually imported library, my ripped (purchased) CDā€™s, purchased Apple iTunes songs and DSD files. The utilization of BitPerfect and Conversion with DSDMaster, total investment: quite some work and something like 20 or 30 Euros. No subscription fee.

I donā€™t stream music, my FM Radio or Internet Radio with local broadcasting satisfies those needs. Other than that I too much enjoy spinning the disks.

Thank you.
I was considering using the Matrix X-SPDIF2 converter with my Stream Box. It is reasonably priced if you go with the iFi switching power supply or a higher grade linear power supply. (not SBooster but Audiophonics, a French company).

I will chime back if I try this out.

As streaming became more important to my listening preferences, I moved from Sonos to Bluos Node 1 then Node 2, to Auralic G2, and finally, to Aurender W20SE. I stream internet radio and Qobuz. In terms of interface, Bluos and Sonos were about equal and both were somewhat better than Auralic, which was ok, but not as convenient as Aurender. In terms of sound quality, each move was a step up, but Aurender is, in my opinion, the end of the search for better in terms of this technology.

That is a very nice setup you have. :+1: :+1: A bit out of my league.
Which PSA rig do you have connected to the W20SE?

Good old iTunes - it certainly boosted the whole digital music movement in the last 15 years.

I moved ripped all my CDs to FLAC almost 2 years ago and installed ROON core on my Mac Mini (2011 model). The mini is getting old in the tooth and Iā€™m looking to replace it before it crashes.

So now that an I2S connection does not seem so important, I have more choice. Iā€™m considering the Innuos ZEN MK3 (http://innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zen-mk3-1tb-hdd-black) and connect that directly via USB to the SGCD.

Anyone have experience with the ZEN MK3? Or another model in the ZEN series?

It is getting great reviews for build- and sound quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrKFvGTVmiM&t=8s

Ask @stevensegal, he has an innuos device.

Seems like a good idea.

OK. Will give SG a chance to react.

For those interested in Innuos - here is another review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCG2fK-abo

(Giving my favorite reviewers some sharing credits).

I was using the DSD with the latest firmware which frankly was excellent, but got a great deal on an EMM dac which does an even better job in terms of focus, sound-staging, and detail retrieval.

Jim K

Innuos is a good choice.

Lumin U1 Mini

1 Like