BHK 250/300 - Who's using a P10?

I live in the country where my power has always been pretty clean. I have dedicated wiring from the fuse box to my listening room, audiophile-approved wall sockets, etc. I have always found my system less sensitive to power cord variations and mains power conditioners than most rooms. When I got a pair of BHK 300 monoblocks to try out, a P10 was also made available, although I didn’t plan to bother even auditioning it due to the additional cost.

Initially I was quite disappointed with the BHK 300s. They certainly sounded nice tonally, but the dynamics sounded strangled compared to how I had previously heard them demonstrated, and the imaging was not quite as deep. So I put the P10 into the circuit, as it had been during the demo, and the sound was massively transformed. All the reservations I had went away.

I ended up keeping both the BHK 300s and the P10. In summary, my experience was that the P10 elevated the BHK 300 to a completely different level. It wasn’t even close, to the extent that I couldn’t actually imagine using the monoblocks at all without the P10.

I’m interested to know whether other BHK 300 users have had the same or a different experience. And what about the BHK 250?

I’m using my BHK250 with a PPP (I do not own a P10), that I thoroughly tested years ago with Pass Labs amps. Despite Nelson recommends plugging his power amps directly into the wall outlet, the PPP makes the sound much “cleaner” with more air. I did not notice any significant changes in dynamics generally, but rather in micro-dynamics and definitely cleaning the mess and crowdness (or “de-jitterizing”) in the sound.

I guess you live in a 120V country? In general, 230V countries have less power related dynamics issues.

That may be true but I consistently find the same thing anywhere I travel. With a Power Plant in place, amplifiers just sing - they seemed freed from their cage and dynamic as hell. Plugged straight into the wall they’re ok, but nothing as alive as with a Power Plant lowering the impedance of the wall socket.

Paul, you travel with a P10? :wink:

I ship ahead. :slight_smile:

But, good point. Doesn’t quite fit into my day bag.

Yes, I use a P10 with my BHK 300’s. The P10 sits on a PowerBase and is plugged into its own dedicated 20amp circuit. I also have a P5 on a PowerBase plugged into a separate 20amp circuit. The rest of the system (CD/DAC/Turntable/Preamp) is plugged into the P5.

I had my P10 long before the BHK250 came out. I go back to the PowerPlant 300, the first PSA regenerator. They’ve been in my system ever since. I didn’t even bother trying the BHK250 plugged directly into the wall as to me there was no question the P10 would improve things, and also protect my equipment at the same time.

I just started using a BHK 250 with a P10 and the results are outstanding. I’ve had the P10 for a while and just added the 250. I will provide more feedback as the break-in of the 250 progresses.

Isn’t it just amazing? I love hearing these stories. Thank you for sharing!

stevem2 said I had my P10 long before the BHK250 came out. I go back to the PowerPlant 300, the first PSA regenerator. They've been in my system ever since. I didn't even bother trying the BHK250 plugged directly into the wall as to me there was no question the P10 would improve things, and also protect my equipment at the same time.
@jenniffercatherin

Hi Stevem2. Much difference in sound from the p300 vs the p10, for the ‘little equipment’ such as DAC, PWT, and so on ?

Sorry but I’ve never done the comparison directly. I still have the PP300 but it hasn’t been in service for some time. The P10, and the PPP before it, have more than enough capacity for my equipment so I haven’t needed it. Also I don’t really have the space in my main rig. I may yet find a place for it in a secondary system. All that said, I think you would notice an improvement with the P10 even with source equipment, preamps, etc. Cleaner power and greater power availability benefit pretty much everything, which is why PSA uses over-sized transformers in their equipment If you don’t use the difference (and not everyone will), you have 30 days to send it back.

I’m not sure the P10 will handle two mono blocks plus DACs etc.

Also not sure about any 30 day trial outside of USA - never heard it mentioned or seen it advertised.

Was looking to see if the various P300’s would be able to do a verified job for me - do say 80-85% of the job (i have no doubt P10 would be superior - it also runs about 10-15x the cost - so it needs to do so) on at least the DAC / PWT / server / etc.

Appreciate your answer, thanks.

The P10 will run two BHK monoblocks plus a DAC without a problem.

Guys, I’m on the fence here. I own all PS audio electronics (preamp soon to be added)with the exception of Shunyata (Typhon and Triton) power conditioning. A while ago I fell for the hype and replaced my P5s with Shunyata. From what I recall at the time it was a lateral move, and the (more expensive) Shunyata stack certainly did not trounce the P5s. I’m seriously contemplating ditching the Shunyata conditioners and getting 2x P10. Anyone have ever compared the two? Any suggestions. I have a hunch I will make the move, but just need a little nudging on. What are the pros / cons in your opinion?

edorr i cannot compare to Shunyata, however the P10 is better than P5, because:

• no moving parts which will get noisy by time (no fans)

• bigger transformer makes bass even more defined than P5, overall with P10 you get more open/effortless presentation than with P5.

• P10 has more outlets than P5

In audio words I would say that going from P5 to P10 was like going from stereo amp to mono blocks :slight_smile:

Green Machine, I didn’t realize you were outside the U.S. The P300 was a great device in its day and I would say it’s still superior to any non-regenerating power conditioner. It will get you most of the benefits of a P10 with smaller devices. Hard to say what percentage to give it. That would depend on the equipment and how bad your power is. The worse the power coming in, the greater the benefit from a P10. Also, obviously a P10 would come with a warranty whereas any P300 out there is pretty long in the tooth. Also, if you go for a P300, check to see if it has a fan (not sure they all did) and, if so, how noisy it is. Mine got noisier over time. Don’t know if it’s still possible to get replacement fans. If the load is light, you could disconnect it if the noise is a problem, although that could shorten the unit’s life. As Paul said, the P10 can handle a lot of equipment at once.

Paul McGowan said The P10 will run two BHK monoblocks plus a DAC without a problem.
Thanks Paul. Understand p10 runs up to 1500W.

I’m currently sitting on some JC-1 mono blocks, which are rated at 400W into 8 ohms, with the Salon2’s being nominal 6 ohm impedance.

With continuous drive, the Parasound clipped at 545W into 8 ohms (27.4dBW)
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-1-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements#DVdpU5hzh81Oj8cD.99

I may not keep the PWT after Torrey + Roon + Bridge II is operating, so it would be these two mono’s + DAC.

stevem2 said ... The P300 was a great device in its day and I would say it's still superior to any non-regenerating power conditioner. ...
Thanks for the excellent input.
maniac said edorr i cannot compare to Shunyata, however the P10 is better than P5, because:
  • no moving parts which will get noisy by time (no fans)

• bigger transformer makes bass even more defined than P5, overall with P10 you get more open/effortless presentation than with P5.

• P10 has more outlets than P5

In audio words I would say that going from P5 to P10 was like going from stereo amp to mono blocks :slight_smile:

I assessed P5 to Shunyata as a lateral (but cash flow negative) move at the time, so we could make the inference going to P10 would be a step up…

I am currently using a P10 on my BHK 300 monoblocks. My P5 is used for the PWT, DS DAC and the BHK pre-amp.

I have been using PS Audio power gear since the original P300 I bought in the late 1990’s. Over time I have gradually upgraded it until I now have a P10 and a P5 in my system. This may be a bit of an overkill, but since I have two separate 20 amp power circuits in my room, this lets me keep the amps one one and everything else on the other.

With my older amps, I had everything plugged into the P10 and had no problem. After I got the monoblocks last year, I “stole” the P5 that I had been using with my big-screen TV in another room and added it to my stereo system.

As far as the P300 goes, I agree it was great in its day. Back then I was only able to use it for my pre-amp and PWT/DAC and turntable.

Alan