BHK preamp tubes

Just curious about what tubes do you all use in your BHK Signature Preamp? What are the results?

Also, Is there a search button, so I can look this stuff up without having to bother you good people?

Thanks.

I am currently running the Apos Ray 12AU7 tubes which are very quiet and sound better than the Gold Lions.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a search button, and I found the link below.
I have not changed tubes on my BHK pre, but I have changed to new Mullard tubes on my M1200’s.

I’m also using the Apos Ray tubes in the BHK Pre and 1200 mono’s and perfer them to the Psvane and GL’s I was using.

2 Likes

Black plate triple mica Raytheon 5814 tubes have been my preference when using my BHK preamp with my M1200 mono amps ( which have CBS/Hytron 5814 tubes.)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I have never heard of Apos Ray tubes. Who sells them, how much and are they warm, neutral or cold sounding?

Thanks for the reply,

How do 5814’s work in place of the 12au7s’s?
And how do they sound, warm neutral or cold?

Thanks.

I too have gone with the Apos Ray 12AU7s in my BHK preamp and Primaluna Dialogue Premiums run as monos. I prefer them to any of my pricey NOS tubes, from Telefunken, Radiotechnique, Brimar, Telefunken, Mullard and more. They are better than any other new production 12AU7s I have tried including Gold Lion. They’re much less expensive than NOS (around $75) and come with a warranty. I bought mine on Amazon, but you can buy them directly from Apos.

1 Like

There was a “like new” matched pair of Apos Ray 12au7 suddenly appeared in Amazon. Sorry guys! I grabbed it so fast since the price was so good. This is my third pair in 3 months and they replaced both GL and Telefunken NOS in BHK pre and M1200.

These new tubes have no weakness.

2 Likes

5814 tubes are going to draw 350 MA @ 6.3volts vs the 12au7’s 300MA but are otherwise identical tubes. Most sellers say they are “identical” to a 12au7 but that’s not quite true. In most circuits they are drop in replacements. As to sound, they are well balanced, possessed of a big soundstage, and do not exaggerate sibilance or harshness. Someone with with speakers like Audio Note, Harbeth, etc. might find them a touch too polite depending on the listening environment and partnering equipment.

I ended up getting them from their site, they were sold out on Amazon at the time. I paid $149 for a pair but see they are $179 now. They sound detailed (not harsh) compared to the Gold Lions I was using. I wouldn’t call them overly “tubey” sounding, or analytical in my setup, just right so far. I noticed cymbals and guitars sound more realistic with extended decay to me now. Soundstage increased slightly left and right, I didn’t notice any increase in depth. But the biggest positive difference is how vocals are about a foot higher in the soundstage mix somehow, I really like that. I did notice the low end improved after about 50 hrs. or so.

2 Likes

Sounds like a win. After trying several tubes, including NOS Telefunken and Mullard, I always came back to new Genelec’s with the BHK. Nice to know there are some good new kids on the block.