Bhk preamp with separate power supply?

Gold Note have the same concept.

It may work for sound quality but does not work for my piece of mind because:

• you buy a pre amp for a lot of money but the manufacturer makes you believe that it will only reveal its full potential if you fork out another fortune for a better power supply
  • I consider It a waste of resources to build in a power supply and then add another one which makes the original obsolete or redundant

Either I buy from a manufacturer that utilizes that concept consequently, or I don’t.

Such 2 stage investment does not work with my CFO in the house. Such little increase in SQ is certainly not worth the discussions, there are way more important issues to discuss. The CFO also has her own interests. As it happens to be: interior design. Thus, adding extra boxes and cables, that make part of the original investment obsolete or redundant, is certainly in conflict with anything she stands for and I agree with that.

1 Like

Re-read the policy and the authority matrix, may be, I say may be you have a loophole. Trouble will start when the internal audit takes place. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My new Preamp is two chassis, one Preamp, one power supply with five umbilicals. Left right analog, left right phono preamp, one Digital. It seems nice.

3 Likes

Interesting. Niche market will always have those sorts configurations.

Actually, three cables have four connections and two have five. That’s a whole lot of potential failure points. Bah.

1 Like

I have used DIN and XLR cables for decades with no failures. I do not see why you see the potential for failure.

Simple enough, dozens of contacts. It will be fine but the point remains.
I am at peace with it.

2 Likes

I have recording equipment with separate power supplies. They are not pretty and it is a minor bother to find a home for them.

It appears separating the power supply from a unit is well worth it given the resulting sound. For example, my primary microphone preamp (two channel) has a separate power supply. This makes sense given the tiny signals it is amplifying to line level to go into an ADC or to tape. The power supply is many feet away from these signals.

3 Likes

My Bhk pre :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Sorry missed to mention the gorgeous Bhk 3oo , they are for sure a giant killer :heart_eyes::heart:

1 Like

Even with prior preamp designs from PS Audio, the optional separate power supplies made a significant improvement. I originally bought the GCP-200 without the GCPS option, and was very happy with the way it sounded…until a couple years later when I picked up a GCPS for it. Night & day… With the outboard power supply, the GCP-200 easily bettered my Krell KCT, that I subsequently sold used for more than I paid for the GCP-200 & GCPS new.

I would love to see a next generation BHK Preamp with an outboard power supply. I’d buy it, no questions asked.

2 Likes