Blu ray and DVD-a

pulling-hair_gifHi,

Will the firmware update mean the DMP will play blu ray et all, I have some great albums on bluray it’s one of the reasons I bought the DMP. At present only 1 will play, the rest just play what is obviously the menu music. Any help out there would be appreciated

The new firmware we’re all waiting for will not change the way BluRay is accessed or played. Rather, it will address some of the quirks and pauses that frustrate us.

I just loaded a DVD-A disc and at the upper right there is an icon of three hash marks, an eighth note and the number 1. If I touch the icon the 1 changes to a 2. The 1 starts playing track 1. The 2 plays a 10 second menu sound clip and then goes back to a 1 and track 1.

This icon is not shown or explained in the manual, and I have not seen it discussed in the DMP forum. I don’t have any Blu-ray audio discs, but perhaps this is the key to selecting the correct audio soundtrack. Perhaps Paul could comment.

DMP-Display.jpg

BTW: My Playlist has not updated since starting to play this DVD-A.

Bill you are correct and this helps with some discs but not all.I am really disappointed that the claims of playing blu ray just didn’t, work. It’s still a lovely bit of kit but a lot of money to shell out for someone that doesn’t play blu ray audio after all. It would be nice if Paul and his team could solve this one but I suspect that may not be possible…shame

Ianmuir, there was quite a bit of discussion regarding BluRay audio discs during the Beta test and then again when regular production units were delivered. The gist of the discussion was BluRay won’t play on the DMP since it generally requires a video out for menu navigation. PS Audio intentionally disabled the video section of the drive mechanism (an Oppo unit) for the best sound quality. They do not intend and will not consider activating the video section since the vast majority of discs played do not require it. There are some BluRay Audio discs that will play, but you cannot do anything other than press Play and let it go; no changing tracks, starting on other than Track 1, no fast forward, etc… Lots of folks are disappointed with this, but when you want the best sounding transport you have to make some trade-offs.

Ianmuir said

Hi,

Will the firmware update mean the DMP will play blu ray et all, I have some great albums on bluray it’s one of the reasons I bought the DMP. At present only 1 will play, the rest just play what is obviously the menu music. Any help out there would be appreciated

To comment on the second part of this, DVD-As play just fine but you kind of have to guess at the audio selection using the same note/digit nomenclature.

But once you do have it sorted, they sound great.

At least on my DVD-A, there was something strange where the arrow keys would just restart the current song; to jump to a different track you had to use the number keys on the remote, but I suspect that had to do with the original menu system on the disc.

I plan to pick one of these unit tomorrow. I am new to this post, so I am to assume this unit will not play Blu-ray dvd audio tracks?

I have several blu-ray live performance discs which I would like to play in stereo through the DSD dac. I currently use a Oppo UDP-205 currently.

I wouldn’t count on any particular video disc being playable. Some will probably work but the more creative the disc masterer was the less likely the disc is to have a simple list of tracks. Perhaps if you mention the specific discs someone might know.

Joe Bonamassa live blu-ray DVD’s mostly. I’ll have to double check on the others.

I plan to buy more SACD’s, I do have a Door’s blu-ray audio only.

SRV has a SACD box set I want to pick up soon too.

The SRV SACDs I have are all excellent.

Ted, I ordered a DS Memory player this afternoon from a local dealer. He had in stock and I should have on Wednesday. It should go very nicely with my DSD DAC, BHK preamp, BHK 250, P5 pair. Dac loaded with the Bridge II, Mac Mini with Roon. Also have a Lan Rover kicking around!

Can’t wait to hear my CD’s again!

In spite of what you’ve read I suspect you’ll still be surprised at how good CDs sound. I really appreciate being able to play my SACDs again. (My EMM Transport died years ago.)

Paul, Ted, I am now the proud owner of a DSMP! Just 10 mins on it and it sounds wonderful! music-078_gif

YES!!!

I am in about 25 hours or more of constant playback. Wow the unit is starting to really open up. The air is amazing. Soundstage is really setting in, placement is outstanding. I feel like I am transferred into the studio with the artist. Changes my room into theirs. Truly outstanding!!

Great job everyone at PSA! Paul much respect for you and the whole crew.

darrenv1070 said

I am in about 25 hours or more of constant playback. Wow the unit is starting to really open up. The air is amazing. Soundstage is really setting in, placement is outstanding. I feel like I am transferred into the studio with the artist. Changes my room into theirs. Truly outstanding!!

Great job everyone at PSA! Paul much respect for you and the whole crew.

Would love to hear how you think it compares to Bridge II sound quality when you have it broken in.

Enjoy the tunes!!

I use a heavy modded Mac Mini ( SSD drives, external PS, Roon, and removed IR ) to the bridge II. So i will do a side by side compare in another 100 hours or so to be fair. Stay tuned. So far the air is better, and instrument position a lot better than the bridge II.

Thanks for all the kind words. The DMP is one of the most loved products we’ve ever made.

darrenv1070 said

I use a heavy modded Mac Mini ( SSD drives, external PS, Roon, and removed IR ) to the bridge II. So i will do a side by side compare in another 100 hours or so to be fair. Stay tuned. So far the air is better, and instrument position a lot better than the bridge II.

Ok 90 hours on the DSMP! What can I say…Holy CRAP! It’s freaking outstanding!! The focus, black as night backgrounds, bass! The bass is so alive, zero boom, bloat. Midrange is stellar, and highs have better extension without a touch of harness. I am not sure I will listen to the bridge much now!! Wow PSA. Amazing!

Anyone listen to the Chris Stapleton releases ( he’s the best thing for Country music in decades , IMO and many many others )? Amazing vocals and very very good recordings. I wish these would be placed on SACD. I did see they are offered in HD download, which I may have to buy.

It’s a keeper! The DSMP and DS DAC are a dream combo! With the BHK preamp and BHK 250. I can’t stop listening to music. I may sell by TV. Who needs a TV with tunes this good!!

Paul McGowan said

Thanks for all the kind words. The DMP is one of the most loved products we’ve ever made.

Paul, my foot hasn’t stopped tapping since last week, when I added the DSMP.