Bridge 2 Album Artwork Issue

For reference, I am streaming TIDAL directly to the BII via Bubble UPnP on an Android tablet.

I don’t think anything changed in my system (maybe Bubble UPnP updated to a new version, but I can’t be sure) and it was working fine this weekend. All of the other information (Artist, Track Title, etc) is showing up on the screen, but the album artwork does not. So far I tried restarting the DAC (switched off/on in back), restarting Bubble UPnP, removing the SD card and putting it back in the DAC, but nothing has worked.

Any thoughts?

And it was showing up before? The album art on the Bridge II is pretty straightforward process. If the art is there it is sent as metadata and the DAC just reproduces it as it’s told. If it did work and now doesn’t, my guess would be something in Tidal.

Also, make sure the SD card is still in place on the DAC.

Thanks for the replies Paul! The artwork was showing up before, but not now. The SD card is still in place, but I will try another one to see if the card went bad (possible but not probable).

Make sure the contacts on the SD card are facing up.

I just tried a different SD card and it’s not the card. Contacts for both cards were facing up.

Also, artwork from TIDAL appears in the Bubble UPnP app. I even added a few new albums to my TIDAL library to see if there was a recent change in Tidal that impacted album art, but the artwork shows up in the app as expected. Would that suggest it’s not TIDAL?

Music sounds great, but no album art!

The first thing to check is whether you can get cover art from another source, say jRiver. If cover art is working there, there is probably an issue with Tidal. If it is not, Try reformatting your SD Card. If that does not help, maybe there is a problem with contacts for the SD card in the DAC. After playing Tidal for a while, try inserting your card into your PC and see if there is a .BMP file.

Dennis

For what it is worth, I just tried Tidal and I got no cover art also. But I get cover art for everything else, so I am thinking it is a tidal or BubbleUpnp issue.

Dennis

Isn’t there a limitation in pixel resolution of 512x512 for the cover art to be displayed?

The DAC displays a 160 x 160 16 bit Bmp file.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis.

I read your answer as if it will resize any given size to 16x160.

I think the bridge request a 160 x 160 bmp or converts what it gets to the size and type, but I am not sure which it does.

Dennis

OK, but couldn’t this be tied to the missing display of the album art, at least in theory?

In theory if Tidal was sending a file the bridge could not convert or use, yes, but this would still be a Tidal / BubbleUpnp issue. By the way using Tidal through Roon (unreleased alpha) gets cover art.

Dennis

Thanks for the responses everyone. Album artwork is showing up on the DAC tonight. Not sure what was going on.

Looking forward to Roon + BII.

Still having problems with album artwork. Now the artwork isn’t updating properly.

If I choose a new album, the screen acts as if it’s going to change the album artwork (goes to blue ps audio symbol), but the artwork goes back to the artwork from the previous album. I have listened to 6 different albums, and the artwork from the 1st album is still showing.

Does the SD card store a backlog of artwork? Should I not have anything else on the SD card (I think the latest firmware is on there too)? Should the SD card be bigger than 2GB?

None of those things should be a problem. You might try reformatting the SD card. it might not help but it won’t hurt and it’s the only thing I can think of. No idea why this is happening to you.

Below is the response I received from the key contributor over on the Bubble UPnP forum. Thoughts?

Response:

This is probably due to a recent change on how Tidal http servers serve images.
I see that it uses chunked encoding which is slightly unusual and may cause your renderer to fail loading the image.

If you wish, you can report it to the manufacturer giving them this url so they can test it:
http://images.osl.wimpmusic.com/im/i…bumid=57273408

Dennis…please see response below. Assuming this is the problem, can it be fixed with a software update?

Response:

This is probably due to a recent change on how Tidal http servers serve images.
I see that it uses chunked encoding which is slightly unusual and may cause your renderer to fail loading the image.

If you wish, you can report it to the manufacturer giving them this url so they can test it:
http://images.osl.wimpmusic.com/im/i…bumid=57273408

I forwarded this issue to the manufacturer of our module last week.

Dennis