Bridge/Audirvana Plus

I think this is a basic question related to the Bridge:

I have a MacBook Pro and use Audirvana Plus to play HD files I have downloaded. I have been using the USB connection with my PW DAC, but was wondering if I could just send the music wirelessly to the PW Dac if I purchased the Bridge.

In hindsight, I suppose this is a question as to whether Audirvana supports the PS Audio Bridge. I guess I am more confused than I initially thought about how this should work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Dave, welcome.

Yes you can stream from Mac/JRiver to the Bridge via ethernet cable OR if you use a PLC ethernet extender. [one unit at your router and the other at the bridge.] The Bridge itself has NO wireless capability.

I am set up this way and it works fine.

If your router is very close [same room] as the PW then you could use a wireless extender but it is the least stable of the 3 possibilities.

gordon said The Bridge itself has NO wireless capability.
I have never attempted wireless streaming of hi-res audio (probably not very reliable, I've always thought). Nonetheless, my foolish curiosity leads me to ask why, when I log into the Bridge web page, is there a "WiFi configuration" option?

There was once a proposed wifi [usb] dongle to provide a wireless connection to the bridge.

As I suggested above, in most set ups, wifi is the least reliable method of connection.

If you are unable to run a cat-6 ethernet cable, then the PLC extenders would probably be your best option. Many who use this method are happy campers.

Thanks Gordon.

Not sure why I was under the impression that the bridge added wireless capability to the DAC (seems like that would be a nice update for bridge v2).

Right now I have a wireless extender that I am using to connect the PW Transport to the internet, so that could be an option for the bridge, but sounds like it might not be the best.

I am not familiar with ethernet extenders and will look into them. Running a cable directly from the router probably isn’t an option at the moment.

Thanks again!

Dave

gordon said There was once a proposed wifi [usb] dongle to provide a wireless connection to the bridge.
OK, thanks Gordon, makes sense now (perhaps that option should be removed from the Bridge web page since the dongle has never materialized).

The PLC ethernet extemder could then go to a switch that connects PWD, PWT, P10 etc that are in your rig.

Wireless, in my experience does not like walls, basements, and in Ross’s case, microwaves.

If you have the router in the same room as your rig, you could try putting the Bridge on the 5-ghz range. [N-router]

I’m totally confused! Hopefully Gordon can help me. Gordon said “Yes you can stream from Mac/Audirvana to the Bridge via ethernet cable…” I didn’t think it was possible for Audirvana Plus to stream to bridge since it wasn’t DNLA or uPnP compatible. If it is possible, do I just have to connect an Ethernet cable between the router my Mac is connected to and the bridge? And does this scenario enable gapless playback? Thanks!

rvw1951 said I'm totally confused! Hopefully Gordon can help me. Gordon said "Yes you can stream from Mac/Audirvana to the Bridge via ethernet cable..." I didn't think it was possible for Audirvana Plus to stream to bridge since it wasn't DNLA or uPnP compatible. If it is possible, do I just have to connect an Ethernet cable between the router my Mac is connected to and the bridge? And does this scenario enable gapless playback? Thanks!
Sorry, my bad.

it was a typo.

should read Mac/Jriver to the bridge. I use Audirvana via USB.

usb is gapless and bridge is not, until bridge2 later this year.

Thank you, Gordon. I thought I was “losing it”! I too use Audirvana Plus via USB and I’m absolutely thrilled with the sound I’m getting out of my system. The DS continues to blow my socks off.

Gordon (or Paul): Should I wait for Bridge 2 to buy it? I was probably going to buy it within the next 60 days.

I might, especially if gapless is important.

George Moneo said Gordon (or Paul): Should I wait for Bridge 2 to buy it? I was probably going to buy it within the next 60 days.
As Paul said, "if gapless is important".

Otherwise, it depends on your needs.

The Bridge is designed to provide a network connection to a computer with storage and/or to a NAS etc. The long ethernet cable is less expensive and critical than USB, SPDIF etc.

If you need a Bridge, shop around and if you can pick one up cheap then perhaps go for it. [$200-300].

Bridge2 so far is quoted as before XMAS and hopefully under $1000.

I have yet to test drive it so I am not fully aware of the differences, aside from B@ playing gapless for a gapless recording.

gordon said
George Moneo said Gordon (or Paul): Should I wait for Bridge 2 to buy it? I was probably going to buy it within the next 60 days.
As Paul said, "if gapless is important." Otherwise, it depends on your needs. The Bridge is designed to provide a network connection to a computer with storage and/or to a NAS etc. The long ethernet cable is less expensive and critical than USB, SPDIF etc. If you need a Bridge, shop around and if you can pick one up cheap then perhaps go for it. [$200-300]. Bridge2 so far is quoted as before XMAS and hopefully under $1000. I have yet to test drive it so I am not fully aware of the differences, aside from B@ playing gapless for a gapless recording.
Gapless IS important. Based on what you said, I'll be able to connect my DS DAC via Ethernet from my Airport Extreme router and somehow play my music files from my Mac's external drives? I thought I needed DLNA for that? (And getting DLNA to work on a Mac is a pain-in-the-backside.)

Paul, I think part of the Christmas bonus will go you this year…

(Oh, and I’ll be happy to be a beta tester, too!)

George

Yes

DS/Bridge-1 to router and then it sees and is seen by all the nodes.

Jriver will stream to the Bridge with no problems except limited to 1x DSD and no gapless. [ I converted my most listened to gapless albums to one large file and that DOES play gapless via the Bridge.]

I have my mini now in my rack so I can switch between USB and Bridge at will.

The USB user experience is better but the Bridge is a good option for someone dealing with a distant puter.