Bridge III

One of the advantages of the DS against the DS jr. is, that the bridge HW can be upgraded.

Assumed there will be a future internal bridge III release compatible with the DS:

• The often mentioned demand for a higher DSD sampling rate doesn't bother me too much. I understood this not necessarily means better sound and it is probably anyway not possible due to internal interface speed.
  • more interesting is an improved lens/interface in terms of a future advancement of the DMP's lens as I understand the DMP being roughly an external bridge with upstream physical media drive and HD buffer.
Did I understand correctly, that
  1. the main improvement of the DMP against Bridge II is it's lens, which in a similar way could also be integrated into a bridge III?
  2. the i2s interface of bridge to DS is equivalent to the external i2s interface between DMP and DS?

well bridge II is fresh out of the oven so I would be surprised to see a bridge III already in the works…

I am not too familiar with the lens thing but that looks only useful for optical disc reading (isolating the optical and digital circuits) not sure it has any value for ethernet input…

But optical network connection seems like a good idea!

I understood that the point of the harddisk buffer of the DMP is equivalent to let’s say the bridge stream output. Everything before the HD buffer (optical unit, drive) doesn’t make a difference to a ripped wav/aif file as long as both optics (DMP/ripping device) work properly and bit perfect.

Then comes what I understood as “digital lens”, which is inside the DMP before it’s digital output and before the bridge’s digital output and cares for a i.e. jitter-free transfer to the DAC and which is a key point of sound relevance before the DAC.

That’s just a dummie description and maybe I’m wrong…not sure…but if it’s like that, the “lens” would be the main difference I guess and could be improved within a bridge III, too.

Linvincible said I am not too familiar with the lens thing but that looks only useful for optical disc reading (isolating the optical and digital circuits) not sure it has any value for ethernet input...
Well, PSA put a digital lens in the Bridge (which is ethernet-only) for some reason. And it sounds pretty darn good.