Bridge Owners

Again for me this is only about every two weeks. I’m up on 2.2.0 and 2.14b. I going to try the reset as J.P. mentioned the next time it happens. By the way I was running Jriver/Mac Beta when this freeze happens…Lots of possible variables

@dennis my PWD (with beta firmware 2.4.0) also exhibits freezing when switching from USB input to Bridge input while bridge is playing music.

@maniac: Same with my PWD on any FW for PWD and Bridge. Currently I am using 2.4.0 and 2.14f, but still it stops working if I forget to stop the playback to the bridge prior I select the bridge on the PWD (most times the cover art shows only 1/3 or 1/2 of the picture than it stops working at all). The only way to get it back is a complete reboot (power cycle using the switch at the back).

Thanks for the sequence of ‘resetting’ the PWD.

I’ll try it and see what happens.

I created a master compilation of both bridge and PWD versions.

These are ‘clean’ downloads from the now closed thread and have only been used as masters that are then duplicated and then copied to the SD card.

If this doesn’t help/cure the dreaded hi-rez skips and jumps I’ll go and grab ‘new’ copies of the updates. Just to see if there is any different behavior.

JJ :thumb

@johnjen

While you are waiting you could try something that has worked for some.

**** Best to download FRESH sets of the firmwares first and save them on your desktop.

1/ turn off PWD and unplug the power cord,SD card, USB and anything attached.

2/ remove the bridge and carefully clean the contacts.

3/ reboot the pwd with NOTHING re-attached.

4/ clean the sd card and load a different version of the PWD firmware that you run currently.

5/ reboot PWD to install the “different” version.

6/ remove the sd card, clean it and load your preferred firmware [2.2.0]. Reboot PWD to install.

7/ turn off PWD and re-install Bridge. Reboot PWD with NO sd card. Bridge should install.

8/ install Bridge firmware [different version like with PWD] and reboot PWD. Then reinstall your preferred Bridge firmware [2.14b]. reboot PWD.

All this WITHOUT any cables connected EXCEPT ethernet in the last 2 Bridge installs if you need to use the Web page file installer.

Do a test now to see if there is no or less freezing of the front panel before connecting USB etc or the sd card.

Later you can clean the sd card and insert it “blank” into the DAC and it will rebuild cover art only on it’s own.

This has worked for some with “frozen” panels and also cured connection losses and drops.

Good Luck.

Let me 2nd this causality. Except I’m using 2.2.0

This currently is the most common sequence of steps to get the PWD to freeze.

Although it has happened just in starting up (or un-pausing) JRiver when running the network player.

JJ

@dennis my PWD (with beta firmware 2.4.0) also exhibits freezing when switching from USB input to Bridge input while bridge is playing music.

I have found this problem with all firmware versions (2.02, 2.20 and 2.40). The problem seems to occur if music is streaming to the bridge while another input is selected (coax, optical, USB), and the bridge input is then selected. It causes a system ‘freeze’ (think windows blue screen of death) that requires a back switch restart.

I also have the Bridge / DAC lockup issues. I’m using latest firmware as well. My freeze-ups occur when starting a new track, then changing my mind and switching to a different song right away. The sound stops, the Bridge enters into a 6 second loop at the start of the song and will stay there unless a power reset is performed. JRiver continues to try to communicate with the Bridge, you can switch tracks, stop, pause, and new cover art and tracks are displayed on the DAC front panel but it doesn’t play sound. Switching to USB gives normal operation. Once I was able to get it to reset by changing the fixed IP address, but honestly it’s just easier to reboot the whole DAC. My frequency is every couple weeks.

Cheers,

Richard

Have you tried selecting the [Reset UPnP Server] option from the Bridge webpage. This can often get the Bridge going again without having to power cycle the PWD. I prefer not to power cycle my electronic equipment unless absolutely necessary.

J.P.

I just finished this procedure and while it’s to early to tell if the front panel ceases to lock up, the PWD does boot up ≈ 2-3 times faster… Which I take as a good sign.

This routine reminds me of when I used to ‘clean up’ the PRAM and troubleshoot anomalous behavior on older generation Macs. Between addressing the firmware and surgically repairing the files in the old Mac OS (2-9), the steps taken are quite similar.

EDIT: Oh yeah it sounds better, a definite ++. Better lows (more impact) better highs (smoother less tizz) more resolution, more inner details. A dbl :thumbs up

JJ:thumb

@johnjen

While you are waiting you could try something that has worked for some.

**** Best to download FRESH sets of the firmwares first and save them on your desktop.

1/ turn off PWD and unplug the power cord,SD card, USB and anything attached.

2/ remove the bridge and carefully clean the contacts.

3/ reboot the pwd with NOTHING re-attached.

4/ clean the sd card and load a different version of the PWD firmware that you run currently.

5/ reboot PWD to install the “different” version.

6/ remove the sd card, clean it and load your preferred firmware [2.2.0]. Reboot PWD to install.

7/ turn off PWD and re-install Bridge. Reboot PWD with NO sd card. Bridge should install.

8/ install Bridge firmware [different version like with PWD] and reboot PWD. Then reinstall your preferred Bridge firmware [2.14b]. reboot PWD.

All this WITHOUT any cables connected EXCEPT ethernet in the last 2 Bridge installs if you need to use the Web page file installer.

Do a test now to see if there is no or less freezing of the front panel before connecting USB etc or the sd card.

Later you can clean the sd card and insert it “blank” into the DAC and it will rebuild cover art only on it’s own.

This has worked for some with “frozen” panels and also cured connection losses and drops.

Good Luck.

G

Besides the freezes. (I recently switched to 2.2.0 and 2.14b) every time after doing a complete reboot the DAC always reverts back to 44.1 sample rate but the screen shows “native X” sample rate. Also the volume will show my last level setting even though it is actually set at 50… (if i powered down at 35 it will show 35 for the volume level)

I have verified this by doing a complete reboot letting the DAC power back up without touching anything. Then I head over to my computer and open up e-lyric and JRiver (and the settings match on both e-lyric and jRiver) but never with the front panel of the DAC. Incase it helps I have the first (older) version of the PW DAC.

In short this is what I have experienced after full reboot:-

PW DAC front screen will show:- volume:- 35

Sample rate:- Native X

JRiver and e-lyric will show :- volume:- 50

Sample rate:- 44.1

I found this out by accident when feeling lazy and not wanting to walk up to the DAC to change sample rates.

And also today my P10 has a line (dead pixels) right across the front screen. It will be the second time I am getting a new screen. My DAC also has had the screen replaced once… i live in MA and sending the pieces out to repair means a minimum of at least 3-4 weeks of downtime without my music fix!!!

I rarely post but I feel frustrated. So just wanted to vent a little…sorry.

I assume that you are in Media Network mode (using the bridge) seeing as how this is a thread about the bridge and all. :wink:

On my PWD display, the sample rate is listed just under the cover picture. And it automatically updates to the rate being sent by (in my case) JRiver, once the player (JRiver) actually starts playing.

The volume slider (either one will do) needs to be ‘fussed with’ in order to synch the app and the PWD display after first starting up. At least it has been this way for a while now.

I hope this helps.

JJ

Yes, I am on media mode when this happens. Mine will continue to play while showing native x mode on the PWD display but when yoo open up Jriver or e-lyric the sample rate set on the PWD shows 44.1 (only the volume jumps up to 50 if it wasn’t at 50 after full reboot when I start playing). And just to clarify I am talking about the sample rate setting of the PWD and not the sample rate of the source material I am playing.

PWD screen should indicate what it is receiving.

If JR or Elyric are streaming “original” rates then the format of the original file should show on the PWD.

If JR or EMM is transcoding, then PWD should show what that is set to.

I suspect that your “player” is setting the rates as well as volume.

This could be why the DAC shows a different setting as well.

Best to take a thorough look at your player settings and perhaps even reinstall it.

I think I am not explaining clearly what I am experiencing. Please let me try again.

After a complete reboot (and without streaming or playing anything) the display on my DAC will show "native x mode and my last volume setting. Then immediately after the reboot is done, (without playing or streaming anything) if I open up E-lyric and select PWD as the renderer the settings show 44.1 and volume 50 but that is not what is displayed on the DAC.

Please note that I have not sent or played any material during this whole process. I have only done a hard reboot and then immediately headed over to my iPad to open up E-lyric and compare the settings.

The problem here is, if i proceed to believe the DAC display then I am actually down sampling everything to 44.1 sample rate even though my front panel display on the DAC shows native x.

Also, to clarify further I am not talking about the sample rate of the source I am playing that appears at the bottom of the cover art. I am talking about the sample rate setting of my DAC that can be set from 44.1 to 192 then from native to native x.

The DAC when rebooted, should show the previous input, sample rate and X setting that was previously selected.

The VOLUME should go to the default PSA safety setting as shown in your manual.

If the DAC is set to

1/ native-x

2/ Auto filter

Then what is showing on your display under the art, is what the dac is receiving.

Since EMM is no longer supported, then it might be better to use a different player and to check that IT is not downcoding your music.

With the above settings it should not be the dac.

More likely a poor communication between player and Bridge.

Do you have any suggestions how to restore the proper communication between player and bridge?

There is one above in the post by JJ that deals with pretty much any funny stuff happening with the PWD/Bridge.

As he puts it, it is basically a “purge” of anything that seems stuck.

What player do you use besides EMM?

Also, post your entire set up and network connections as it could be there too.

I think I am not explaining clearly what I am experiencing. Please let me try again.

After a complete reboot (and without streaming or playing anything) the display on my DAC will show "native x mode and my last volume setting. Then immediately after the reboot is done, (without playing or streaming anything) if I open up E-lyric and select PWD as the renderer the settings show 44.1 and volume 50 but that is not what is displayed on the DAC.

Please note that I have not sent or played any material during this whole process. I have only done a hard reboot and then immediately headed over to my iPad to open up E-lyric and compare the settings.

The problem here is, if i proceed to believe the DAC display then I am actually down sampling everything to 44.1 sample rate even though my front panel display on the DAC shows native x.

Also, to clarify further I am not talking about the sample rate of the source I am playing that appears at the bottom of the cover art. I am talking about the sample rate setting of my DAC that can be set from 44.1 to 192 then from native to native x.

This topic has been beaten to death herein (be myself), however there are few that recognizes the fact that PWD settings rarely are fed back to the iController. The volume is a typical problem. Another one is the resolution (try to alter the sample rate locally on the PWD display and you will see that it does not update in the iController). If you search for frode & volume you will probably find some old treads herein discussing this issue.

A couple of thoughts.

The ‘point’ of a master reset of the PWD s/w and f/w is to ‘clear’ or dump ALL of the pre-existing code (that is capable of being reset) and replace it with ‘ONLY’ the selected version that you select to use.

In computers this is akin to a CMOS (PC) or PRAM (Mac) reset, from a ‘protected’ source.

This procedure (for computers and all digitally upgradeable devices) is a standard way of clearing any ‘corruption’ that can accumulate due to a whole host of reasons.

Personally I attribute it to cosmic rays, thereby absolving me of being a source of the problem in the first place… :-bd

JJ B-)

Gordon, I use only JRiver but open up EMM to check/match-up the settings on the DAC. I will try the purge suggested by JJ when I have some time. Originally I wanted to call PS audio and ship bothe my DAC and P10 for check-up but I am dreading the turn around time. Especially now that they are all focused on getting the new products (amp and nu-wave phono). Cause as I mentioned earlier my P10 needs a new screen.

JJ thanks for the cosmic rays theory. I use Schumann resonators in my listening room maybe there in lies the problem…lol