Bridge2 lost after upgrade to firmware3.4.5

Matt, I PM’d you. For the benefit of others following this thread, (a) I was in Redcloud when I attempted the Bridge ii upgrade, (b) I repeatedly did a full (I.e., switch in back if DSJ) power recycle, and © I didn’t have one, but two, failed Bridge ii upgrades (the first time the upgrade just hung for 45 minutes, forcing me to reboot).

I mentioned my problem with the BII update on another thread, which may not have been the correct one for this issue, so I will mention here again. While the BII version showed 0.0.0 after I did the Redcloud update, a power cycle then showed the 3.4.5 version. However, now I get sporadic instances of the BII connection disappearing. this happened 3 or 4 times during a 2 hour listening session. A reboot of Roon regained the connection but this is annoying.

@Tom i think you are still quite lucky as i believe PS Audio will be able to fix your bridge via Windows software which allows you to force re-update of your bridge.

In my case Bridge is not appearing at all, nor is visible to the Windows tool I got from PSA, thus mine has to go back to PSA to be re-flashed or whatever.

I would give you the instructions and software but as I have no previous experience with this software i believe it would be wise to get it from PSA to make sure this is the right approach for your case. You may send email to support@psaudio.com and they will get back to you shortly (on Monday i guess).

Because of my geographical location , maybe , the Bridge 2 upgrade arrived 8hrs before Redcloud and of course that got loaded first . Then on reading Paul’s Post next day and seeing JazzNut’s comment on doing the Redcloud upgrade first , too late I thought and went ahead with it anyway and as a result the Bridge disappeared . Hmmm I’ll just walk away from this and have a think . The upshot for what it’s worth is I found the firmware SD card for Bridge 2 in a drawer and reinstalled the Bridge and then I don’t quite remember the sequence I possibly powered off and the 3.4.5 reappeared . Make of it what you will maybe the 3.4.5 hadn’t gone away at all . One thing I do know is that I no longer get any album covers on the screen and if the Bridge upgrade is just for Spotify and no other improvements I may go back to 3.3.3 as I have Spotify on my MacBook and I find it less fiddly than the iPad and it sounds better which doesn’t make sense . I don’t have Roon on my system .

@unitmaid

Artwork will only load if a working SD card without update files and formatted FAT32 is inserted into the DSD or DSJ DAC. If you still are not getting artwork with an inserted SD card please let me know.

Regards,

Matt

As a hope to reinstall maybe B2, can someone point me if/where can I find the firmware for Bridge2? I can not find my SD card:(

The Bridge firmware is updated over the internet connection, not the SD card. SD cards are used to upgrade the firmware for the DIrect Stream (senior) or PerrfectWave DACs (that is, the DACs themselves, not their Bridges).

While true, when PSA ships a Bridge upgrade kit, it does come with an SD card to install the Bridge firmware, so it is possible to update the Bridge from an SD card. I did the upgrade a couple of years ago, so I think I still have the SD card in a drawer somewhere. If you PM me, I can arrange to upload it to DropBox or Zip it up and email it to you.

Karl, what Bridge upgrade kit was that? Bridge I to Bridge II? Are you sure that SD card wasn’t to upgrade the DAC’s firmware to be compatible with the new Bridge? Also, if the card is from a couple years ago, it wouldn’t be the current firmware (Bridge or DS). I may be misunderstanding the request. There is a USB port on the Bridge for emergency recoveries, as I recall (although I seem to recall someone saying later versions did not have that).

Stevem2,

It was the upgrade kit to add the BII to the DSD, which I initially purchased w/o the Bridge II (I think it was unavailable upon the initial release). I just dug around in my drawer and found the SD card. It is labeled DirectStream Bridge II firmware, and having looked at the files on the card, you’re right, it was the firmware that was needed for the DSD to recognize the BII once it was installed. It is v.126 which doesn’t correspond to any DSD release that I can find in the download section, so I assume it is a special release just for the BII upgrade.

In any case, it isn’t going to help you revert to a lower level release.

To help bbeksac (OP) I did find a couple of things they may want to try. In the download section under Current Products there is a download for Bridge 2.15. I’m not sure which firmware this corresponds to but it is in the Current section so I assume it is either 3.4.5 or 3.3.3. Also, in the Software and Guides section there is similar software called Bridge Rescue. This file includes a brief readme file that explains how to copy the software onto a USB stick and use the USB slot on the Bridge card to update or restore it. May want to give one or both of these files a try.

Cover art on the DSD screen

Thanks Matt the empty formatted SD card worked as you said , I must say that’s the weirdest problem fix I’ve come across .

Regards

Leigh

For years I have used FAT16 SD cards in my DS senior with the most recent firmware files left in place and have experienced no problems with artwork or anything else. So I’m curious about why we are now told to use FAT32 empty cards.

Indeed FAT16 is the way to go. Sometimes it’s not available as an option (e.g. on some MACs?)

FAT32 may work if you get lucky where the files land but it’s really a mine field for updates.

If I’ve accidentally recommended FAT32 please point it out and I’ll fix it.

MACs don’t natively format SD cards at FAT16 but I found a free little program that will do it. I’m on my work PC but I think this might be it: http://sd-formatter.en.uptodown.com/mac. I use it every time before doing a firmware update and it works like a charm.

Ted Smith said

Indeed FAT16 is the way to go.

That was my recollection.

If I've accidentally recommended FAT32 please point it out and I'll fix it.
The recommendation came from Matt at PSA in a post earlier in this thread.