BridgeII MQA update available

rogerdn said

Yes iPad, I have the hifi Tidal subscription. Doesn’t work on mconnectHD either. One of those is paid I thought.

mConnectHD is paid. It has the same issue on my android free version. I will check into this.

Dennis

I use Roon —> Bridge for 100% of my music on my DSJ. So shall I assume this particular upgrade is a non-event for me?

Holzohr said

IMG_20170717_153505.jpg

smiley-music005_gif

Holzohr, are you using one of the mconnect apps ?

MQA plays well with the mcontolHD app on my I-pad over here in the Netherlands smile

After dinner I’m gonna check mcontrol light and the apps on my Android tablet. Hope it will work with BubbleUpnp, always was and still is my favorite…

Is the BridgeII now providing full MQA (full unfolding)?

timequest said

Is the BridgeII now providing full MQA (full unfolding)?

Yes it is. Upto and including 192k.

Dennis

David Bernat said

I use Roon —> Bridge for 100% of my music on my DSJ. So shall I assume this particular upgrade is a non-event for me?

In your case I would wait for the update that incorporates the RAAT-SDK updates for Roon.

Dennis

rogerdn said

Holzohr, are you using one of the mconnect apps ?

Yes, mconnect Control. The Android Version.

I’m using iOS, could be my problem, Thks.

OMFG. Had to change my drawers. Take back everything I have said about MQA!!!

(not) mmm_gif

I have asked for a full list of what versions of mConnect have what functionality with Tidal and I should have that information in the morning. I was under the impression that all versions works the same, but obviously that is not true.

Dennis

C’mon Beef. Spill the beans! We need more info than that!

wijber said

MQA plays well with the mcontolHD app on my I-pad over here in the Netherlands smile

And it works just as well for me in the States on my DSJ. That said, I had to spend some time locating the Tidal “HiFi” option in mcontrolHD to get it working. And for whatever reason, I had to tap the “HiFi” quality option so many times I thought it didn’t work. But eventually it did.

As far as procedure is concerned, with respect to the Junior only:

With Junior’s Bridge attached to the internet, turn the back power switch off for a while (to be safe) and back on. It reboots.

Hold the button down until the balance screen shows, then press repeatedly until the Bridge screen shows that the 3.3.3 update is available via a long press. Press for a Second or so, and it starts updating.

EDIT:

Removed stupid stuff.

Use the mConnect mControlHD app to stream directly from Tidal to the Bridge.

badbeef said

Then you need to be sure you are operating Tidal from the Tidal standalone app on your computer, controlled with the MConnect app…

Hi, thanks, but I thought the point of the Bridge II update is that that no computer is necessary to play TIDAL/MQA.

Bootzilla said
badbeef said

Then you need to be sure you are operating Tidal from the Tidal standalone app on your computer, controlled with the MConnect app…

Hi, thanks, but I thought the point of the Bridge II update is that that no computer is necessary to play TIDAL/MQA.
No computer is necessary to play Tidal via the bridge and mConnect.

Dennis

Some suggestions before you submit SQ evaluations.

1. If you are simply listening to it (assuming you know for a fact you are listening to the MQA full unfold, etc.) on your system without comparing it to anything else, please note that. Everything new sounds excitingly good-ish. Volume is a big deal. It’s particularly important to try and eliminate expectation bias from this discussion.

2. If you have no way of accurately volume-matching any of the cuts you compare, please note that. Volume always wins.

3. If you have a bias toward streaming, please note that. There’s not a lot of question that it’s possible for this to be “good sounding streaming”, which is meaningless, unless you are say, in Europe and are doing a volume-matched comparison of Qobuz with MQA. Please try to separate the awesome convenience of streaming (and any other aspects you think are awesome about it) from the sound quality.

4. If you are comparing two things, and you don’t know the provenance of either or both of them, please note that.

5. All of the above only concerns the SQ of MQA. Separate from the SQ issues of the above, please bear in mind the potential effect of this business model on all of our (and your beautiful, watery-eyed children’s and grandchildren’s) future music consumption, as some of us frankly don’t care if it’s the best sound we’ve ever streamed - it would still be an issue; and some don’t care if it’s going to screw everyone else in perpetuity if they can get this massive library of “Masters” now for cheap.

5A). Y’all mostly know my bias at this point, but I would say this is a bit like betting that the money we are going to make and save by being unconcerned about the environment going forward is worth the potential risk. : )

@badbeef: Hi, you wrote in post #34, above, that:

"Then you need to be sure you are operating Tidal from the Tidal standalone app on your computer, controlled with the MConnect app – some issues with some versions, apparently, see thread. On my iPad Pro, the MControl HD app works. In my case the server Mini is headless, so I have to use Screens to shut down Roon (again, in my case) and open the Tidal app."

I gather you have a DS Jr., which I do not have, but I am pretty certain the above is INCORRECT for both the Jr. and the Sr. See Dennis’s post #36, above.

Are you able to stream TIDAL/MQA directly from your mconnect/mcontrol app to your Bridge II (i.e., no computer in the signal path)?

Deleted stupid post. You are correct Bootzilla.

badbeef said

Dennis said: “No computer is necessary to play Tidal via the bridge and mConnect.”

Yep - I can stream it directly to this iPad. In fact, that always seems to be the default with MConnect. You have to select your Bridge in the “Play To” tab. I didn’t intend to suggest that a computer was required. But if we’re to compare apples to apples, it seems to me (and correct me if I’m off base here) one should use the Tidal app on the computer you are typically using to stream music. If we don’t know what the sources and endpoints are, we’re just making stuff up.

But you can’t stream from the Tidal app on your computer to a Bridge.

Dennis