Status of Tidal/MQA update for Bridge II

In the notification that Huron was available, a forthcoming update of Bridge II to enable Tidal and MQA streaming was mentioned as being a week out. What is the status of this update? I haven’t been able to find a related thread. Thanks.

I believe they are hoping by the end of this month.

We are still waiting for the MQA certification process to be completed. It should be released in a couple weeks.

Dennis

Dennis, I was initially getting the feeling that the Bridge II / MQA update would be compatible with the PWD II, but Paul’s comments a week or so ago made me less hopeful. Care to venture a guess whether PWD II owners will be included?

Yes it will be compatible with the PWD. We are currently working out a few issues with Native and Native X modes. But it will be compatible. There will be a PWD firmware update about the same time as the bridge update is available.

Dennis

via GIPHY

An impressive level of support for a product PSA stopped making several years ago!

Damn-near astounding, and the kind of thing that breeds deep brand loyalty.

I don’t think that’s an accident. Paul’s no dummy. Plus I really think it reflects the kind of guy he is and, by extension, his company. I have gotten tremendous service over the years (and well before there were different categories of forum members). And it’s obviously made me a loyal customer. The quality and value of the products had something do do with that too.

The quality and culture of a company comes from the top.

Indeed.

I had a $1500 DAC from a California company. When it was three years old, the company stopped issuing USB drivers for current MAC OS updates. The thing became a paperweight to me.

Last I’ll buy from those guys.

Ouch. Also strange in that most USB DACs don’t require Mac drivers beyond what is built into the system.

cymbop said

I had a $1500 DAC from a California company. When it was three years old, the company stopped issuing USB drivers for current MAC OS updates. The thing became a paperweight to me.

Last I’ll buy from those guys.

It would be helpful to know what DAC it was. Either a lot of people now have an obsolete DAC, or someone found a work around.

Can you roll back the driver in Mac lie windows can by using previous Windows versions . IE run as win xx

jeffstarr said

It would be helpful to know what DAC it was. Either a lot of people now have an obsolete DAC, or someone found a work around.

Rhymes with Hired4Mound.

Just my opinion but 3 years of support seems normal.

Anything greater than 3 years is excellent but not all that common in electronics

Eg my friends Playback Designs player has received an FPGA update some 6 years after the initial product was released ! That’s not normal but we all dream of that kind of support for everything we buy in general.

cymbop said
jeffstarr said

Rhymes with Hired4Mound.

Not defending them because I don’t know your specific situation, but I had their DAC2 which was recently replaced by the DAC2v2. They offered an upgrade for a reasonable price.

Mi2016 said

Just my opinion but 3 years of support seems normal.
Anything greater than 3 years is excellent but not all that common in electronics

This idea bothers me a lot. To say that it’s acceptable for an expensive piece of equipment to become useless after three years is wasteful of our money as well as the planet’s resources. I understand that companies can’t support products forever, but three years? And keep in mind that we are talking about current versions of OS X (or Windows, same difference). There are a lot of users who rely on mainstream computers to work with their DACs – it’s not like they have stopped supporting Joe Blank’s usb enhancer that very few use.

Of course, I’m an old fogie who kept his previous preamp for 12 years and his previous DAC for 7 . . . but they didn’t have to be connected to a computer to run.

So you contacted them, and they told you none of their current drivers will work with your DAC? And they are not going to supply one.

Because I am not familiar with the company, I will say if that is the case that sucks. I can understand that not every company is like PSA or Playback, but every company should provide unlimited driver support, for a minimum of 10 years. My guess is that once you update a driver for current products, adding the needed changes for older versions should not be that hard.

Maybe you should do the math, and see if you could do the trade in, if you could sell the new one and not lose as much as doing nothing. Or put it up for sale stating that it will only work with the specified operating system. There may be someone with an older computer who has no desire to upgrade the operating system, and would like a deal on that DAC.

If there was no support, and what you told us came directly from their customer support, I would spread the word on every audio site. Three years of support is not what I would expect from a quality company. Nor should anyone buy a product without being told ahead of time that after three years, no support. That just sucks!