BridgeII MQA update available

@badbeef: I do not think using the TIDAL desktop app is apples-to-apples because that app’s MQA unfolding ability tops out at 96 kHz (the so-called “first unfold”), whereas the Bridge II driven by the mconnect app can do the first unfold AND the so-called “second unfold” to 192 kHz.

I suppose that if the maximum unfolding for a particular track were 96 kHz then one could theoretically shoot out the TIDAL desktop app versus the Bridge II/mconnect app combo on such a track. But there would be so many other variables mixed up in there that I do not think a meaningful conclusion could be reached which would apply beyond one’s particular system.

OK, I’m really confused now, as prior to this, you HAD to use the Tidal app on your computer to stream MQA.

EDIT: Tidal streams directly to the Bridge with the mConnect app.

OK, tried some apps with Tidal’s David Bowie Ziggy Stardust MQA on OIS and Android, my results…

OIS I-pad Air:

mconnect control & mconnect controlHD both play MQA, app screen info 24/192 1876kbps ; DS screen info MQA 24/192.

mconnectLite plays MQA, app screen info flac 24/48 1876kbps ; DS screen info MQA 24/192 !!

Android Samsung Galaxy Tab S2:

mconnect and mconnectLite both play MQA, both apps screen info flac 24/48 1876 kbps ; DS screen info MQA 24/192 !!

bubbleUpnp > sadly NO MQA, only flac 16/44

Had several drop outs playing MQA with my I-pad, not one drop out so far on my Android Galaxy.

Sounds very good on initial listening laugh

EldRick said Unfortunately I'm no longer that excited about MQA, having just taken a look at the Tidal catalog of "Masters". It's just a random assortment of mid-fi albums, some of which have been "remastered", so there is really little or no great audio content.
Audiophiles do not care if the music is any good, it can be trash. All that matters is if it sounds good.

@badbeef ; when you select the Bridge in your mconnect apps on I-pad or Android tablet/phone it’s indeed going from Tidal directly via internet to the Bridge (same with BubbleUpnp on Android)

However in my setup it flows through my Melco ethernet purifier kiss

wijber said

However in my setup it flows through my Melco ethernet purifier

Are you advocating for a new “MMQA” designation?: “Melco-ized Master Quality Authenticated.”

Heading home shortly to update my Bridge II and then crank some MMQA!

badbeef said

OK, I’m really confused now, as prior to this, you HAD to use the Tidal app on your computer to stream MQA…

There is a new sheriff in town now in the form of a TIDAL/MQA-enabled Bridge II, with no computer required. Consider your DS Jr./Bridge II officially un-tethered from the TIDAL desktop app (and, if you want, from Roon, as well).

To PS Audio, we say THANK YOU!

Bootzilla said

Are you advocating for a new “MMQA” designation?: “Melco-ized Master Quality Authenticated.”

Heading home shortly to update my Bridge II and then crank some MMQA!

for certainty bypassed the Melco ethernet out when updating, to make sure there’s no failure during the update while the DS is depending on the Melco for the IP-adress…update went flawlessly

wijber - that’s what I’m trying to sort out. Dennis, Bootzilla, are you saying mConnect allows us to stream directly from the Tidal service to the Bridge?

I freely admit it is not something I have spent any time with. My MQA experience has been limited to shows and the little Meridian DAC. I only know I was unable to truly stream any form of MQA unless I was using the MQA standalone app on my computer. That is, Tidal Masters via Roon were not really “Masters”. Perhaps this update circumvents that.

EDIT: Tidal streams directly to the Bridge via the mConnect app.

badbeef said

wijber - that’s what I’m trying to sort out. Dennis, Bootzilla, are you saying mConnect allows us to stream directly from the Tidal service to the Bridge?

I freely admit it is not something I have spent any time with. My MQA experience has been limited to shows and the little Meridian DAC. I only know I was unable to truly stream any form of MQA unless I was using the MQA standalone app on my computer. That is, Tidal Masters via Roon were not really “Masters”. Perhaps this update circumvents that.

MQA via Roon to the bridge does not work in the update, that will have to wait for the next update.

Dennis

badbeef said

OK, I’m really confused now, as prior to this, you HAD to use the Tidal app on your computer to stream MQA. That may be because I’m a Roonie.

> think the build-in functionality for the first unfold in the Tidal-app is also programmed in the mconnect apps (sadly -not yet?- in the BubbleUpnp app). EDIT..on second thought.....no unfold in the app, impossible because the stream doe'snt even pass through the app, so Tidal must be delivering the first unfold if the used dac is recognized as 'MQA authenticated'...?
And I needed my computer server to play my music via HD or Roon to the Bridge.
> streaming music directly from internet or a server to the Bridge always was possible (with Roon it's probably more complex, tried it for a year but decided not to choose for Roon myself)
badbeef said

Dennis, Bootzilla, are you saying mConnect allows us to stream directly from the Tidal service to the Bridge?

Think of it this way:

TIDAL [incl. MQA Masters] > mconnect app on smart device > Bridge II > DS

My favorite way in streaming music over the bridge alway has been without computers - as far as possible…wink

Updated without a problem. Don’t have the need to try any of the new features, but to me it sounds even better now. Probably I just have clean power since the update. Great 3D dive today smiley-music005_gif

EDIT: Deleted whole dumbass post.

happy-082_gifrespect-047_gif

(That’s me on the left laughing at myself on the right)

Mark, you need a controller like the MConnect Player to interface between Tidal and the Bridge II. This is a UPnP based system and it requires three elements, controller, server, and player. In this case the Bridge II is the player, Tidal is the server, MConnect Play app is the controller.

There are some programs, like JRiver, that are UPnP compatible, but most aren’t and the Tidal app certainly isn’t.

Yup, thanks, got it Paul. Have used various versions of the mConnect app since getting the Junior (or perhaps before), but it was not something I needed to use on an ongoing basis, hence my confusion.

My Post #37 above still applies regarding SQ evaluations.

Thanks for your efforts. It sounds fabulously MQA-ish. You know what I mean ; )

Currently listening Tidal’s Donald Fagen The Nighfly in MQA 24/48, sound is very very nice. Will compare later with Qobuz hires streaming and my ‘real’ hires download. Oh boy, a lot to explore…

I can’t get the Bridge to update no matter what I do. I’ve restarted multiple times and given it up to 10 minutes and nothing indicated that there’s an update available. I’ve reinstalled Pikes and back to Huron with multiple reboots. Nada. I’m at a loss. When you guys reboot, you see something on the screen that an update is available? Or do you need to go to the setup page? I’ve seen nothing on the setup or LAN pages.

Edit: I even took my DS off the direct ethernet connection and connected directly to the switch and enabled DHCP. Still nothing. Worth a shot.

amgradmd said

I can’t get the Bridge to update no matter what I do. I’ve restarted multiple times and given it up to 10 minutes and nothing indicated that there’s an update available. I’ve reinstalled Pikes and back to Huron with multiple reboots. Nada. I’m at a loss. When you guys reboot, you see something on the screen that an update is available? Or do you need to go to the setup page? I’ve seen nothing on the setup or LAN pages.

Edit: I even took my DS off the direct ethernet connection and connected directly to the switch and enabled DHCP. Still nothing. Worth a shot.

email me at dennis@psaudio.com

Dennis