Built a plinth for my Thorens TD-121

The trusty TD-121 in stock form.

Used 3/4" MDF to make templates for the layers, which would be built from baltic birch plywood. (Made templates because I make mistakes, but also thought I might do this again.)

All the templates.

Transferred the templates to the plywood, using a flush-trim router bit to match the profile.

All the layers. Seven of them. 5-1/4" thick.

1-inch walnut for the exterior.

Cut an angle from the bottom 2-3 inches or so with the table saw, just to give it some visual interest.

Clamping the top. I was going to use veneer, but decided to use 1/4" walnut pieces to ensure that I’d have a flatter surface and more sanding thickness. I’m not a veneer expert, so I’ll try that some other time.

Clamps off and sanding like crazy. Rounded over the top edge with the router. Fixed a few gaps using glue mixed with walnut sawdust.

All done. time to add some finish.

Tung oil.

In situ.


Well done. Most impressive!!

1 Like

Wish I had that level of talent. Very well done

That’s a really nice job :slight_smile:

One of a kind and beautiful workmanship.

Nicely done.

Do not hesitate to try working with veneers. It is great fun and easy.

Nice work, well done! I think the addition of that slight angle at the bottom of the plinth definitely elevated the form factor.


Send it or a link to the Thorens contact, via their WEB-Site. Owner Gunter Kürten will respond. Thorens is just developing a brand new but very similar vintage looking Thorens DD124, Check it out. DD Stands for Direct Drive, but in same Vintage look, they have the same cast Aluminum Top Made brand new do the DD124.

Your plinth beats their design, I like it, great craftsmanship!

1 Like

That is very nice work indeed!

The very similar looking soon to be released Thorens TD 124 DD, comes for EUR 7999,- excl. cartridge.
Thorens TD 124 DD for review at Stereo Magazine in Germany

Consider your self owning a jewel with your turntable with beautifully hand crafted plinth.

thanks, all. Forgot I even posted this thread until you resuscitated it!

Yeah, it’s one of my prized possessions. It came with an SME 3009 tonearm and Shure MK15 Type IV cartridge, both of which required a bit of TLC, and after reviving them, it sounds wonderful.

I did add an acrylic dust cover, but no other changes since then.


That is a thing of beauty. Well done.

1 Like

I remembered your thread when I noticed that Thorens is about to release that very similar looking turntable.

Dust covers are important. It would bet a petty to allow dust accumulation on, or in a fine mechanics device such as a turntable.

Your cover looks good and is efficient and compact compared to the turntable, easy to take off and put somewhere else when playing records.

A much better design than the covers of ClearAudio and Transrotor, those cover the complete turntable. But the covers are so heavy and large that you either prefer to leave them off or play less records due to the extra hassle.

thanks, yeah I love the cover.

The one was made by a guy locally, and I’ve had a few covers done by him for other turntables.

It’s 1/4" thick, and fairly beefy/heavy, but not any problem to remove to play records.