Burn in time for BHK pre and BHK250?

My BHK pre and 250 amp should be shipping tomorrow. :grinning: I’ve searched the forums, but can’t find reference to how long each piece needs to get to, say 90% of final sound quality. I thought I saw 24 hours for the pre (?)

I have a Power Plant P12 coming later in January, so same question for it.
TIA,

Mike

There are many, many threads and posts on the topic. The forum’s search tool is very good (click on the magnifying glass in the upper right).

I suggest searching separately for each piece of equipment rather than just searching “break in” as you will filter down the results a bit.

I did search broadly and in the specific amplifier forum, but used the terms “burn” and “burn in.” I’ll try “break in”, thanks Elk.

I am certain you will get responses here, too.

People here like very long break in times, typically hundreds of hours.

I’m not sure we “like” those lengths of time, but they do seem to be the lengths we experience “break-in.”

I have neither of those components so I won’t have an estimate for you. But I do notice that when one gets to this level of equipment one can hear so much of what goes on in the signal and its amplification/conversion etc. that one does hear changes. So do expect to hear the sound transform through the initial days of use.

Even though ‘hundreds’ of hours sounds daunting, there’s 24 hours in a day. I just put a long playlist on repeat at modest volume and away you go. It’s gratifying to hear the sound evolve.

I think the general consensus is that straight out of the box expect a bit of tightness and stiff sound opening up with 24 hours and really kicking in with a week’s worth of use. Just be sure and keep the main power switch on in the rear and use the front panel
standby to turn it on/off.

Hi Paul - when burning in a new power amp must it be driving speakers with music or will it burn in just by being powered on?

Meant to link this to your last message.

Hi Paul - when burning in a new power amp must it be driving speakers with music or will it burn in just by being powered on?

Just being on will do wonders.