Can SACD Track info update Playlist

Hi,

When I put an SADC in my DSMP the display shows the track info.

When I look in Playlist it shows Unknown Album, Unknown Artist, no Album Art, and no tracks.

Would it be possible to update the Playlist with the track information?

It would much easier if we just had to update the Album, Artist, and Artwork.

It could help all of us build a library of SACDs in the PS Audio system faster that could be shared with everyone.

Chip

Someone from PSA will have to answer your question.

Meanwhile, for what it’s worth, here is how I save time when adding titles to the Playlist. The majority of SACDs have also been issued as CDs (or vinyl records). Click on “Search for disc data” and enter the title; if the disc is not found, you will (often) be offered the choice of looking in Discogs. I find that if I enter only the title, not the artist, I get offered the Discogs option more frequently. If a CD or LP version of the album is located, choose it.

I do a quick check to be sure the tracks are the same (no bonus tracks or whatever). Even if I have to do a little editing, this is still far faster than typing everything in manually. In many cases the SACD cover is the same as the Redbook CD. If it’s not, as with the MOFI SACDs with the MOFI banner across the top, I locate the appropriate image and add it manually. Of course not everything is in Discogs, but this method has saved me a lot of time.

I have recently added the following SACDs to the Playlist. Do they show up for others who have the same ones?

MOFI titles: Dylan John Wesley Harding; Parsons Grievous Angel; Dire Straits Brothers in Arms.

Others: Dusty in Memphis; Scheherazade (Living Stereo, recent Analogue Productions reissue); Exotic Dances from the Opera (Reference Recordings).

magister said

I have recently added the following SACDs to the Playlist. Do they show up for others who have the same ones?

MOFI titles: Dylan John Wesley Harding; Parsons Grievous Angel; Dire Straits Brothers in Arms.

No. I’ve done the same ones. Paul mentioned that it may be possible to share SACD metadata, but I haven’t heard anything else. Perhaps it was my comment about loading “alternative” album covers that made him reconsider this. It does seem that a bit of moderation may be needed if this is put into place.

This is still a work in progress. We are working through the infrastructure and validation issues. I don’t have an ETA for you yet.

Reviving this thread, I’ve noticed that the number of SACDs that are present in the database is slowly growing thanks to DMP owners who are sharing their entries. Unfortunately, a fair amount of these have some issues with completeness and accuracy of the track names. Here’s an example of this:

petsounds.jpg

This is the MFSL SACD of Pet Sounds. My copy has several more tracks and I’d like to add them. The easiest way to add a new disc is to find an appropriate Discogs entry and build the record from that. However, since someone has already “added” an entry for this disc, the Discogs method is not available. I could add the missing tracks manually, but I’d really rather simply have an option to ignore the existing database entry for this disc and create my own. The point of sharing the database entries is to make this easier, not harder.

-Pb

Hi PB,

i thought the entries to the Db were checked for accuracy by PS Audio before being accepted?

Could it be that your disc is a different one to that already in the Db? If that was so wouldn’t a different disc have a different ID# - I’m just speculating.

frank7036 said i thought the entries to the Db were checked for accuracy by PS Audio before being accepted?
That's what we're told. I don't know how carefully they check, though -- do they go beyond just making sure that all fields seem filled in correctly? Can they check all the different versions that are out there when a recording has been reissued multiple times? This is a tricky issue.

When I added a few of my SACDs, for those that I knew exist in different versions I put an annotation in the title, such as “John Wesley Harding (MoFi Reissue)” to try to help with this problem. I also was careful to get the correct artwork, in this case the one with the MoFi bar across the top. Maybe others can do this too.

If that was so wouldn't a different disc have a different ID#.
That's a very good question; maybe someone from PSA can comment on this.

We do our best but mostly we are checking for how well the data fields are filled out, if there’s cover art, etc. We don’t have the staff to research every entry for voracity - just completeness. We rely on our customers to keep things accurate. It’s not a perfect system by any means.

My post was not a complaint about the quality control process. I’m afraid I’ll get volunteered to help if I complain about that.

My post was a request for a method to ignore an existing database entry and provide the option to search the Discogs data rather than be forced to completely recreate the entry from scratch.

-Pb