Cannot Connect to DS Mk2 USB Input

FWIW, I use a wireworld USB cable from a sonore rendu to the mkii. It works fine for me.

1 Like

Have used multiple Wireworld USB cables with no issues with any streamer DAC combo including multiple Auralic’s.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys. I don’t think it’s the cable or the Aries. I just plugged my MacBook Pro into my Mk 1’s USB input using the Cards cable and Apple USB-C adapter and the Mk 1 (“PS Audio USB 2.0 Adapter,” or something like that was the label) showed in Audio Midi Setup and Qobuz was able to play. Not so with the Mk 2.

This may be irrelevant but I noticed that, when I connect the various devices to the USB input, I get the green connected light even though they’re not really connected. But my I2S1 light stays red even when music is playing through it. Something off there

Green on AES3, S/PDIF and TOSLink means that there’s a valid signal present on that input.
Green on USB means there’s a verified connection to a host from the Mk II.
Green on I2S means that the plug present pin is gounded (raised?) on the HDMI connector.
The problem with the I2S indicator is that non-PS Audio I2S sources often don’t hook up that wire so you often have red when you shouldn’t.

3 Likes

Thanks Ted. So the red indicator when using the I2S input has nothing to do with my USB problem. Oh well. Still a mystery as to why I get a green indicator with all these devices on USB when none of them actually want to communicate with the DAC–I guess you need more than a verified connection.

The green light means the USB hardware is working fine.

I suspect that many pieces of software have tables of USB devices they will deal with. The USB chip in the Mk II is relatively new and at least some software simply doesn’t recognize it and doesn’t talk to it. The thing is that USB allows devices to ask about capabilities, e.g. what sample rates do you support?.. I don’t know why some software uses tables and others use capability enquiries. There must be things you can’t get from the standard USB capabilities that some software needs. Or perhaps the Mk II is presenting some feature combinations that aren’t expected.

4 Likes

Interesting. Amsco15 did say that he used USB (and. a Wireworld cable) from a Sonore Rendu to the Mk 2 with no problems. I doubt the software in my microRendu is significantly different from that in the Rendu, although they are obviously not identical devices. Also, my MacBook Pro is six years old so I would not think it would use unusual protocols. I would think there are others using Macs with the Mk2 via USB but haven’t heard about similar problems coming up.

Update to Sonic Orbiter OS 2.8? You might have to buy the card from sonore or small green computer.

If my memory is correct there are other forum members using Aries G series streamers with the Mk II so you may just have a bad USB board or a software bug.

1 Like

Who do I have to tip at PS Audio to make sure my first MKII gets shipped before Steve gets his second MKII? LOL - Is there a Hoarders show for audiophiles?

Me too.

1 Like

Steve - It’s starting to seem like you have a H/W problem with your USB input.

Just checking, I assume you have, but did you power cycle everything?

I don’t know what the protocol with the Mac’s are but starting with the G series you cannot “hot swap” inputs or outputs and Aries streamers. You have to shut it down from the front power button and also the back one too. They are and always been quirky about changing not only outputs but DAC’s. Sometimes the easiest thing to do on an Auralic streamer is to reset it to factory settings and redo the setup as if it’s the first time and force it to see what’s on the other end of the cable. So go to the main menu on the Aries and reset it to factory and then shut everything down and start over like when you first took the G1 out of the box. If that doesn’t work you have a Mk II hardware issue.

I have a mk2 I’m borrowing from a forum member. I also use a wireworld USB out of my Aries G2. I had the USB running to my matrix with I2S out no issues with mk1. When I ran the usb direct to mk2 I couldn’t get it to play DSD 256. I went in the setup menu on the Auralic under processor setup go to resampler. Mine is set to off. Open it up and make sure your DSD settings are set to DOP. My 256 was set to native when I switched it to DOP I was able to hear DSD 256 thru the MK2. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Adding to above suggestions: how many inputs are hooked up and simultaneously running actively? Did you set the MK2 input selector to auto or manual?

Same here. Wireworld USB from Signature SE to MKII usb. no issues. Set to DoP right now. I have not tried DSD as I was told that would not work from Sonore to MKII.

1 Like

So your opinions the MK2 DAC versus the ETHOS onboard DAC appear to be what I am more curious about? Which DAC conversion solution do yo prefer?

Thanks for all the responses. Everything has been power cycled multiple times, and in reverse order. The Aries and Mk2 were powered off when I changed connections, powered Mk2 first and was then told by Aries that the selected output (which had been USB) was not available with my device. I checked all the settings, multiple times but, again, the problem is not limited to one device (I’ve tried four, so far). My microRendu is already on 2.8 OS. MacBook Pro is running Monterey, not that that should matter. I suspect Vince and dawkinsj are right that it is probably a hardware issue, or maybe a software problem (could it be a bad firmware load–I haven’t changed anything with the firmware since I got it?). When I get my second Mk2 (I’m probably well behind you, emailists), if it works I’ll have a better idea. Still waiting to hear back from PSA support. For now I’ll just stick with the Matrix and IS2.

1 Like

Just to close the loop, it had to go back to the shop. I believe they replaced the digital board. The repaired unit had no problem connecting to my Aries G1.

1 Like