Captive power cords on very high end power components

Some of the very highest end power conditioners have captive power cords. A Salesman told me because that much current is nothing to play with. They do not want you to put the “wrong” cord on it. Does this make sense? You would think Audiophiles want to choose their cord. Of course most are detachable. I know this does not apply to PSA but I just wondered.

Depends how the cord is attached inside the box. The best electrical contact would be soldered. Plugs are ok however the pins don’t always make the best contact, prone to pitting/wear, some users don’t plug them in properly.
If the manufacturer solders the wire in place they know the parts being used, their QC can check it before it leaves the factory. They have less ‘unknowns’ if anything goes wrong.

Pretty much what I was told when it comes to high power. Although most “audiophile” products have an IEC input. Some very large power conditioners do not. I am sure exactly for the reasons you outline. I do not feel it makes them less “high end” because these are very high end units I am speaking of. Plus as I was told they are making sure you do not use an inappropriate cable. I guess it depends on the manufacturer. Also, some very large amps have captive cords as well. I am sure for the same reasons. A lot of current is nothing to play with. You could easily put 14AWG cord when it needs 8AWG(just an example).

Back when, I replaced the attached power cord on my first generation Adcom GFA-555 (1988?). The original cord was rather lightweight. The toughest part was actually the mechanical connection inserting the new cord through the chassis with the proper stress relief grommet. I certainly prefer equipment where you decide which cord to use.

Not captive, but the cord is supplied.

Comes with: Custom Kimber Kable 30A Power Cable

1 Like

Indeed. Those high current draw components with twist on. No one makes an aftermarket power cord with that connector AFAIK.

This type of connector is common in server racks PDUs in data centers…

You mean, no body makes an aftermarket power cable with these?

I am not sure. Although I just found a couple but very expensive. There certainly aren’t too many.

Richard Gray and Chang Lightspeed are two examples of high end power conditioners with captive power cords. I spoke with them both. Exactly as I thought. first, they feel they have chosen the best sounding power cord for the device. More importantly you cannot put an undersized or otherwise inappropriate cord on it. I prefer an IEC to pick my own cord. Although if one is not too keen they could easily put a cord rated for 7 Amps on a 20 amp device. Since some cords are for front end digital but have a 20 amp IEC to be compatible with the outlets. Some companies I guess would rather avoid this possibility altogether. Or the Powercon connector. There are hardly any of those aftermarket. Audience makes them but only for purchase with one of their power conditioners. That way you can choose a cable you like and within your budget. I guess captive does not mean low end. Since Chang Lightspeed and Richard Gray can both run up to $20,000. In fact something like the P20 what it can draw can be a recipe for disaster with some inept person. I still prefer it and I am not inept. So I know which cords I can, and cannot use with it. I guess others would just rather forgo the liability. Since these can draw tremendous power. For instance Torus makes 150 Amp models which obviously do not have an IEC. Even Powercon is not rated that high AFAIK. Those are extremely expensive units for super large systems or commercial sound installations. So I guess I can rest assured that a captive power cord does not automatically signal a low end unit. I don’t have any anyways but I was interested in the above mentioned brands. Apparently, they are certainly not low end products. I just figured captive power cords were most common on $50 Blu Ray players but I am wrong apparently.