Concerns about limiting thread topics

Al a lot of love thrown your way, don’t be stubborn keep posting, you add a lot of personality to this forum.

I’m with the folks who want Al to stay! Not that anyone has said he should leave… This isn’t the first time this has happened, he perceived a slight where one wasn’t intended, but he truly feels he was targeted so perhaps a new (or clearer) policy is in order. In the event of off topic disucssion our Deer (oops, sorry) Moderator can insert a note to keep it on topic. If the off topic discussion expands he can cut out and move the off topic discussion after there are, say, three off topic posts. When there is only one off topic post it’s not that distracting. When others start adding to that off topic discussion it is bothersome. On occasion there are times the topic takes a right turn and never looks back. Personally I find that annoying.

Deer. Targeted.

Scary. Post.

Unfortunately requests to keep things on topic do not work. In the Yale Final thread alone I asked posters who were discussing their individual listening rooms, NY restaurants, etc. to take it to PMs or start another thread. No joy.

Of course, conversations curve and morph. This is natural. And makes for a scenic drive. But throwing up a T-intersection gets your post moved. Stay on the road or risk this unbearable horror.

Stop reading now if you are easily offended.

Al will be back. He has left in a huff quite a few times before over an imagined slight, often cursing and swearing as he goes. He was atypically comparatively well-behaved this time. He does this at other forums also.

My evil twin Ricky notes New Yorkers and others who claim they are thick skinned, declaring everyone else should toughen up are typically the most easily offended. Seinfeld was based on New Yorkers obsessing over miniscule slights. Trivialities which would not cause an Iowa farmer from even bothering to look up from enjoying his coffee and morning paper.

“Tough New Yorker” is an oxymoron. A choker setter on a logging crew is tough. A commercial fisherman is tough. A forest fire fighter is tough. A single mom is tough. If they were spoiled enough to have the time and resources time to obsess over expensive audio toys they would find us as intimidating as declawed kittens wrestling over cotton balls.

Enough already, everyone. Clip on a pair if you need to, but let’s collectively move on. Deal with it if your post is moved, or your stupidly long, wholly unnecessary quote is clipped from your “I agree” post. Talk about wimpy. What is this near universal fear of the “Add Reply” button? Why quote every insipid word of the poster before you when you only need a phrase or two to put your profound insights into context? Choke down your fear and click on “Add Reply.”

Post away. Argue. Be passionate. Challenge. We are discussing an art after all; you should be passionate. Avoid being an ass and you’re good.

Ricky … now, now, now, mustn’t upset the neighbors. You know they have issues. Anyway, it’s time to come in and get ready for bed. Tomorrows another day and everything will be all better!

If you read Elk’s post in the voice of Louis Black it’s particularly enjoyable.

@Elk,

You have time to read other forums???

Still, we are a rather functional family as net based ones go. We have Dad and our big brothers to thank for this, both present and past (OK, Big Brother is not what I intended but it fits the family analogy). I would not want their jobs (well, Dad’s would be cool) and I am glad that they are committed enough to dedicate their time, a lot of it, to us.

Personally, I think that this thread has run it’s course and made it’s point. I respectfully request that we lock this one and move on.

EDIT: Elk, in Wyo with terrible connection and can’t get PM to work. Just a quick note to say thanks!

Boy, oh boy…do the man a favor and remove his account like he has aked. He made it absolutely clear. AL knows he can rejoin at any time, and that he’ll be welcome…next!

Elk said

Al will be back. He has left in a huff quite a few times before over an imagined slight, often cursing and swearing as he goes. He was atypically comparatively well-behaved this time. He does this at other forums also.

My evil twin Ricky notes New Yorkers and others who claim they are thick skinned, declaring everyone else should toughen up are typically the most easily offended. Seinfeld was based on New Yorkers obsessing over miniscule slights. Trivialities which would not cause an Iowa farmer from even bothering to look up from enjoying his coffee and morning paper.

“Tough New Yorker” is an oxymoron. A choker setter on a logging crew is tough. A commercial fisherman is tough. A forest fire fighter is tough. A single mom is tough. If they were spoiled enough to have the time and resources time to obsess over expensive audio toys they would find us as intimidating as declawed kittens wrestling over cotton balls.

^Totally unnecessary and non-productive in my opinion. Perhaps I am not attuned to the intended humor; because this strikes me (factual or not) as gratuitous criticism that would have been best left unsaid (in the interest of setting a good example and promoting civility).

FWIW/Sincerely,

FWIW

Isn’t everybody taking this whole thing a little bit too seriously ?

I mean, separately oneself from a community because of a moved post (or posts) seems to be a strong reaction.

It’s also seems to be a lot of effort (that I would not want to be paying for) to go about moving posts that refer new amplifiers or the like.

Personally, in the past, I’ve enjoyed ‘flowing’ conversations.

Paul pays the bills, and empowers the moderators, so perhaps setting expectations upfront would be best.

Also, if measuring where to put effort, it would have seem best to have a full set of Beta Test Reviews, and effort put into giving people the ability to compare more amplifiers to the BHK’s.

I looked everyday for Beta Test Reviews and read every forum post. I can easily and quickly skip over an unnecessary post.

However, I find it impossible to make up posts about BHK from testers, even with an extra minutes of time, let alone a few seconds scrolling.

With many thanks to those Beta Testers who did fulfil their end of the Beta Test / Early Purchase bargain and posted their thoughts, I’m still very much looking forward to the (say) Stereophile reviews of the BHK’s…

Loaded Yale last night - sounds good - thanks guys (should this have gone into a different section? Sounds like hard work… )…

Not sure why, but I keep thinking of the guy in Office Space whose stapler keeps getting moved. 24_gif

To borrow from a famous quotation: Audio forum politics can be the most bitter because the stakes are so low. 4_gif

Diligently moderating the forum takes a tremendous amount of time and ALL volunteers are to be thanked. [perhaps occasionally spanked].

ELK

I felt your post about Al was pretty lame and very much out of the tone and profile of this forum, especially from our Leader.

You have lots of knowledge and experience to contribute to this forum and perhaps your efforts might serve the “collective” better by sharing more of those rather than appearing to pounce on virtually every thread and post while imposing your personal view of the necessary flow and etiquette. Leadership is a different skill than “hit man” and, as has been previously suggested, perhaps allowing the already empowered “community leaders” to be more involved in any necessary policing might spread some of the maintenance burden and broaden the acceptability benchmarks as well. This worked very well in the past and did not inhibit shy or sensitive posters… We rarely needed to move any posts and if I remember accurately, the only posts I ever deleted were yours when you insisted on litigating your paradigms ad-nausea.

Gentle Teasing aside, my comments are meant to be constructive and for the good of the collective so perhaps just read and take a deep breath so as to avoid the l-t-g-t-o-n thingy.

I think there is a difference between brief detours and hijacking a thread. It’s not always obvious which is which, though. Having contributed one of the comments about the restaurant which seem to have offended ELK, I’m not totally objective. To me it was pretty obvious that was a brief detour that would quickly burn itself out and also did not deserve it’s own thread. A change in amplifiers that is not obviously related to the Yale topic may be a closer call. I think it was reasonable to move it but if it had been my decision, I would have let it go for awhile to see how far off topic it went. I think ELK was reacting to what he viewed as repeat offenses and that context needs to be considered as well.

Btw, not all New Yorkers claim to be thick skinned. Conversely, I have heard the claim from others, including mid-westerners.