COUNT DOWN TO FEBRUARY 26th

alrainbow said: Have you looked at my new avatar

Holy crap, you're Miles Davis! :D

Do you see the dirty look miles is giving Kenny g

Al

I am surprised that Miles would cast his gaze in KG’s general direction. I have heard that KG is actually quite talented but chose to go commercial. I can’t confirm this. Nor do I care.

You guys are getting way off point. Back to the new product…my educated guess is that it is a kit that connects between a digital source, such as a cd player or server, and an amplifier and it functions to improve the sound of the source above and beyond the improvement made possible by a dac. More specifically, it could be connectable between the source and a dac and has an input for receiving the source signal and a DIGITAL output for sending to the dac (which of course converts it to analog for passage to the power amp)

Alternately it could also function as a dac and do its magic in conjunction with, or in addition to, the D to A conversion before outputting an ANALOG signal to the power amp.

Just my thoughts

I should add to my previous post that, in view of the fairly high cost of the new kit, it could be the alternate guess set forth above and combine the new technology with a dac, such as the PWD

warrenkice said: the fairly high cost of the new kit

The triangulator is made from unobtanium with a cryovacuum coating. And the bag it comes with is a Birkin one. Hence the high cost.

Well, for instance my favorite toy, the PWD Mk II is expensive, no? Would you choose another manufacturer’s DAC at this price over the PWD? How about twice the price? OK… there are some competitors at 2X the cost but at $3995.00 it represents a certain value relative to other units in the marketplace. I really am not sure what devices will be fair competition/comparison for the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator but my guess is that it represents a much higher value for the money, even at almost $5K. If you saw the design of this thing, and you will, you would realize that there is nothing else like it out there. Later there will be.

I tend to look at cost as a relative term.

Often It “costs” more to get more when we consider RnD, parts, distribution and marketing.

When considering a new purchase I usually look for the BEST out there and WHY it is considered the BEST.

THEN I look at the features and subtract what does not matter to ME and start looking at my budget.

If I can find the features that I want and within my budget, then I am a potential customer.

Warranty, upgrade ability, customer service are also a consideration.

Most of us have systems that PLAY to a reasonable satisfaction level. Since we are rarely fully satisfied, there is usually one component, amp, pre, dac, computer, etc that might be our PRIORITY #1.

This is why my original post was about SQ. Other than the temp glow of a new gizmo in our rack what we really want is enhanced SQ and evolvement. Cables, pucks, stones, fuses, chips etc often tend to be subjective and their effects system sensitive.

When and IF a new gizmo change or upgrade provides a quantum leap in “direct” SQ, then it should be considered a COMPONENT upgrade and not just a tweak.

In fact it may be wise to simplify our set ups and reintroduce our tweaks only after listening to the pure nature of the new gizmo.

March 1 is getting closer.

If I had to guess (and I don’t have to but will anyway) I would say a PWDII, possibly with an upgrade path from the PWD (like the Mk II upgrade). That said, I fully expect to be proved wrong.

Well, Paul said in his post yesterday:

"But there’s a lot of music buried in those little silver discs you’ve not yet heard.

You have a library full of buried treasure.

And soon you’ll have a treasure map that will unlock those secrets. it would improve the sound of silvery discs. "

So it must be something that decodes the digital data better (and differently) than previous products. I wouldn’t say for certain its a new PWD, but that’s an easy jump given the many references (both real and surmised) to a new PWD. Paul has also made reference to the “perfect library”, so it could be a server of some sort. Doesn’t seem logical a new PWD would be built in though. Especially for the price. Then again, a short while back Paul was talking about a “magic DAC” so he might have come up with a whole new concept for a server/PWD that fits the economics. The plot thickens …

Ah, unobtanium. That explains. Isn’t it around $24MM an ounce these days?

Maybe Paul made a better offramp USB converter

What ever he Made he seems very glad he has it

So it must be a really good product. As he has the best stuff to hear it.

Every device I have purchased is a great product.

The only item I used that really did not cut it for me was the bridge

So I spent the money on an offramp. This made the pwd a perfect audio solution for me.

And regarding price there is audio devices way more expensive and not as good

Al

Ah, unobtanium. That explains. Isn't it around $24MM an ounce these days?

Is that 24 million M&Ms?

:)

--SSW

Thanks guys!

Good humor makes this all really FUN. As it should be.

Frustrating at times perhaps, but Mucho FUN.

WON’t be long now.

Doesn't seem logical a new PWD would be built in though. Especially for the price.

Agree. This will probably kill todays PWD and this would not be a smart move I think.
It cannot be the Silent Server if it costs about the price of a P10.

Gordon said: I tend to look at cost as a relative term

Exactly. I got my Martin Logan Summits for less money :D

@frode said

probably kill todays PWD

It might kill a lot of options out there.

OR…

It will hopefully KILL our olde benchmarks.

Hopefully that Spherical Knight in Vacuum will not need any external software :smiley:

Or a fancy power cord hahahaha

… For $5K+ It likely will kill today’s PWD, and that may not be a bad thing. But at that price point there is allot of competition, so it ought to be AMAZING. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed that whatever IT is, is field up-gradable into the existing PWD chassis. If its a device that works in conjunction to the PWD or other DAC than I’m probably out at this juncture. New baby on the way, so I need to save some pennies while my wife is off work come May.