COUNT DOWN TO FEBRUARY 26th

louawalters said: For $5K+ It likely will kill today's PWD, and that may not be a bad thing. But at that price point there is allot of competition

Again, the EU price makes the list of competitors much longer. Think of used dCS, Nagra, Burmester...
alrainbow said: Or a fancy power cord

A fancy power cord is something what PSA already have or can beautifully forge (someone mentioned batteries?) . But software is another story.

@louawalters

Congratulations! Is this your first? Been down that road 3 times. One tends to forget what is the root cause of that occurrence and makes the same mistake again, and again. Some of us are just slower to figure it out… =))

My son is getting married in June, my youngest daughter graduates H.S. in May and both my girls have birthdays bookending the week before and after my sons wedding. Me thinks this is gonna be an expensive spring and summer. 8-}

Why wait to march 1?

http://www.audiostream.com/

Why wait to march 1?
http://www.audiostream.com/

Oh, thanks much!

Why all this secrecy then?

So, it’s something what was done by dCS years and years ago. And we discussed it here many times.

The question is how it’s going to play a network stream. Via USB?

Thanks, Stig

And, indeed, done before - unless there is something I am missing.

I am gently amused it is done in a FPGA. This allows for multiple, different sounding firmware!

Elk said: I am gently amused it is done in a FPGA. This allows for multiple, different sounding firmware!

Yes, indeed. Different algorithms, different sound, more firmware wars :D

I wonder about the details, of course. I take it PWD is obsolete now? So is the Bridge? Is an external network player the new approach? What did Gordon mean by saying that it comes in a bag?

You have in the past been a proponent of DSD. Does this product intrigue you? Is converting PCM to DSD inherently desirable?

Of course, all that matters is the sound/$, but I am having trouble getting enthused.

Alekz said: What did Gordon mean by saying that it comes in a bag?

Deliberate misdirection.

You have in the past been a proponent of DSD. Does this product intrigue you? Is converting PCM to DSD inherently desirable?

Of course, all that matters is the sound/$, but I am having trouble getting enthused.

Alekz said: What did Gordon mean by saying that it comes in a bag?

Deliberate misdirection.

Not if the bag is big enough. :)

--SSW

Oops. It slipped out. I see the press release was sent out this morning.

Hmmmm. What this does is inherently desirable. If you were to take PCM and simply convert it to DSD you’d wind up, with, something pretty unexciting. No, it’s MUCH more than that. ;:wink:

@alekz It isn’t even remotely close to what DcS did in the past.

This is good to hear.

So far it is a bit of a snooze, but we cannot necessarily trust third-parties to tell a complete story.

Back to patient waiting.

Elk said: You have in the past been a proponent of DSD. Does this product intrigue you? Is converting PCM to DSD inherently desirable?

Yes, this is what I proposed in one of the PCM vs DSD threads to get rid of the harmful filtering and referred to the dCS solution. They did that first in 90s, as far as I remember (I need to check that).
Paul McGowan said: @alekz It isn't even remotely close to what DcS did in the past.

The idea is (from what I read in the article) the same, the implementation can be different, of course. But it would be nice to have a detailed description and the list of features.

+1

Yes, the implementation is different, would you expect less? It has discrete architecture on the DSD side and careful separation of the power supplies between the incoming and outgoing products. I don’t want to misspeak here due to my technical knowledge gaps, but this is how I interpret it. We A/B’d it with the PWD MkII a number of times using the PWT as the input. No contest. It’s not even a fair comparison and a different animal altogether.

Attached files

So the comparison testing was done with PCM ?

That’s good to know. Was any testing done with DSD

Al