Countdown to rewriting the textbooks again - JWST launch imminent

https://www.quantamagazine.org/webb-space-telescope-snaps-its-first-photo-of-an-exoplanet-20220901/?mc_cid=423654fe62&mc_eid=0c2028f290

3 Likes

While awaiting other developments on the current space front:

Reading this article from a year ago, I realized Iā€™ve been laboring under a possible misapprehension. Back when I first learned of Cosmic Inflation - which may have been as early as college - IIRC there was first the Big Bang, which was THEN followed by a period of Inflation. Weā€™re talking First-Second-of-the-Universe stuff. This article is saying that it was likely the other way around. I dunno if I just got it wrong at the time or it was taught differently then.

If this stuff makes your head hurt, just skip to the last chart and three paragraphs for why there may not have been a singularity at the beginning. Inflation canā€™t get us there, and inflation plus Hot Big Bang currently wins over a HBB alone as a theory.

1 Like

More stuff to ponder on. :thinking:

My prof in college built a very similar style 26m radio telescope in Ann Arbor to the one Frank used in Green Bank, W VA to make the discoveries that made him famous. Though that was 90m and later 100m. Fame didnā€™t happen for my prof.:man_shrugging:t2:

Constructed in part from Navy scrap. They would park it facing east until one morning when they showed up and the rising sun had set the electronics in the focus on firešŸ˜

This dish did at one point lay claim to being the second largest steerable radio telescope in the world.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been to Green Bank and itā€™s a fascinating tour. Thereā€™s no cell service (intentionally) for many miles around the facility.

1 Like

I thought the Air and Space Museum fall programs might be of interest. Next Tuesday is JWST night with senior project scientist and Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist John C Mather.

2 Likes

Thanks! Now my brain hurts. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I enjoyed learning that significant adjustments need to be made for the James Web to peer at Mars; the planet is too bright otherwise.

@badbeef: Do you happen to know if Inflation is considered ā€œacceptedā€ science/theory?

I would say, yes it is. Much as the Big Bang Theory is. Been around quite a while and is generally accepted. It is just the best way we have at the moment of expaining what we see now. Itā€™s tough, because weā€™re inferring something back billions of years. But again - when you get an explanation that fits the actual data that you have - you go with it until something else does a better job of explaining it.

As I mentioned, if Iā€™m remembering correctly, inflation USED to be AFTER the first instant of the Big Bang. The piece above seems to be suggesting that ā€œthe inflationary periodā€ - time being very, very, relative at that point - happened PRIOR to the hot big bang period. This is all within what we would call ā€œthe first secondā€ from our perspective 13+ billion years later. But the ā€œit started with a singularityā€ thing is fraught with irreconcilable maths and so on (Iā€™m not a math guy, but so Iā€™ve heard). Perhaps others who know more will weigh in.

Much of this is based on the WMAP data. Hereā€™s some info about that.

2 Likes

10-4ā€¦will do the follow up reading laterā€¦

Thanks for the link.

SEE

And the hits just keep on comingā€¦

3 Likes

Wonder if I can book some time to get some images taken to align my cartšŸ¤”

3 Likes

2 Likes

In a few hours, live on cameraā€¦

1 Like

Is Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis piloting the spacecraft?

:wink:

1 Like

More important, are they wearing the new Apple Watch Ultra, so it will automatically call 911 when they crash?