Mark your calendars - America's return to the Moon!

Alright all you PSA community space cadets and science lovers … heads up! Mark your calendars for 12 February 2022. NASA just announced the first launch window for Artemis 1. The SLS/Orion stack is complete in the VAB at Kennedy. Initial testing of the four RS-25s (Aerojet/Rocketdyne) done. Rollout to the pad for final wet dress rehearsal and test in January. Can’t be more excited and proud of the renaissance of US space across the board, manned and unmanned. Have whatever space music you like most cued up on your rig and ready to go in February.

NASA targets February launch for Artemis 1 mission on its 1st first moon rocket since Apollo | Space

12 Likes

As a kid who watched with great amazement the Gemini and then Apollo programs I thought for sure we’d have stations on the moon by now, hell I thought we’d be the Jetsons by Y2K. I will be following very closely the Artemis missions. I hope politics and budgetary nonsense doesn’t interfere with the great endeavors NASA and their private associates can attain

3 Likes

Someone once said if you’re not impressed with America landing a man on the moon, stand in your backyard one clear evening during a full moon, look up and ask yourself, “where would I start?”

5 Likes

I’m really looking forward to viewing the event live in HiDef, as opposed to this 50+ years ago.

image!

The James Webb telescope is the current NASA project that has me waiting anxiously.
If successful, it will be an absolute gamechanger for Science.

1 Like

So we know a tremendous amount about the moon so I’m 100% on board if the missions and science are supporting going elsewhere or natural resources. If we are going to start moon missions just so we can, then I’m skeptical.

I’m one of those deep space guys who thinks we should be spending money on a tremendous number of un-manned missions to everything imaginable.

1 Like

I’m fortunate enough to have been involved with New Horizons and Parker Solar Probe. I’m now working on Dragonfly. Knowing first hand how challenging those missions can be, my hat’s off to the folks working manned missions. That’s got to be a whole different level. I’ll be following the moon missions closely as well. Amazing stuff!

3 Likes

Nearly my entire career has been unmanned space. Civilian science and currently spaceborne PNT (position, navigation, timing). I write nearly because for a span of about six months I worked on development of a micrometeoroid and orbital debris shield for ISS. We presented our concept at JSC and toured the hyper-velocity impact testbed built from scratch to test materials and design options for the shield. That was my first introduction to the reliability requirements for man-rated systems. Since then I’ve never complained about the on-orbit reliability requirements we are obligated to meet for unmanned systems. Quite an eye-opener. Big thumbs up indeed to those who have worked the Orion capsule. Respect!

In reference to my wishing to see the next lunar landing in HiDef, this popped up quite coincidentally on YouTube. A fascinating bit about the history and science involved with devising a “live TV” feed from the moon.

Moon landings didn’t happen. Even the moon itself is a giant special effect created by Hollywood. How can you land on something that isn’t there?

Kyrie, is that you? :laughing:

The time has finally arrived to resurrect the Artemis thread, instead of hijacking the JWST thread. NASA is committed to 29 August for the first Artemis 1 launch window. All testing of the SLS is complete, NASA is scheduled to roll the stack out on the CT to historic Pad 39B tomorrow. Kennedy begins real time coverage of the roll out at 3 PM Eastern.

Artemis I Moon Rocket Ready to Roll to the Launch Pad – Artemis (nasa.gov)

As you watch the SLS/Orion stack roll out, keep in mind the crawler-transporter alone is the largest tracked vehicle on the planet. Imagine the weight of the CT plus the stack. Wow.

Light that candle!

Wait, what? NASA has previously admitted that they can no longer go to the moon because they destroyed that technology.

Gary, for our sanity, please let us know about this post:

A) I’m serious
B) I’m just kidding around (posted it as humor)
C) I’m mocking you fools’ belief in this latest edition of the fake moon stuff
D) Something else

2 Likes

My sanity is intact. My calendar is marked on the 29th. Can’t wait to see Artemis 1 soar.

1 Like

Make of it want you want, I just posted something that came straight from the horse’s mouth.

SMH and LOL!

Gary: you keep doing you.

Cheers

2 Likes

Muffled snicker here. Looking forward to witnessing destroyed technology fly again in 14 days. :+1:

2 Likes

So that’s A. Thanks👍🏼

1 Like

I know your intention is to ridicule me, but I can are assure you, I in no coerced the NASA official into admitting that they destroyed the technology to go to the moon. If that somehow rubbs you the wrong way, you should take it up with NASA.

No - it is to try to understand when you’re joking and when you’re serious.

Thinking this statement has something to do with a current mission is like saying, “I scrapped my '65 Mustang because it was dated and dangerous, however cool it once was. And therefore - no one has made a viable car since.”

4 Likes