Crappy Audio Day

Man, what a crappy audio day…

Managed to break off the stylus tip from my < 1 yr old Lyra Kleos; now one of my BHK 300s won’t power on.

Think I’m going to lock up my listening room, lest I knock over one of my speakers and then spill wine all over my Dac and Pre and fry them.

I love my system, but today has me considering unloading it all in favor of an integrated and sticking to streaming only…

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that man. I can’t tell you how many times things just didn’t go right. I tend to be influenced by Father Murphy far more than than average audiophile - at least that is how it seems sometimes. I have a lot of equipment and I would not consider it simple. And when you have more stuff, the points of failure increase proportionally.

Yep, I have had a handful of moments where I was ready to $hit can it all. But the reality is, the satisfaction of doing such would be short lived. If that was not the case, we would have never gotten to the point where we are today with our systems. For folks like us, mediocrity is not an option.

The good new is, a stylus can easily be fixed and breaking one is almost a right of passage. It is par for the course when dealing with delicate gear. Yes, it blows to break one but it is certainly no rare occurrence.

Write off today, get back in the saddle tomorrow and you’ll be happy you decided NOT to unload all of your gear.

Cheers!

2 Likes

@Jbearthma

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

If it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone. I just broke the stylus on my denon 103r last week. While it’s not a lyra, I can tell you some choice words were said.

@JeffofArabica is right, let this day go and get back on the saddle tomorrow. You’ll be tapping your foot again soon.

Ryan

1 Like

I have had excellent luck reaching out to the manufacturers of some of my cartridges when bad things happen. In one case I was trying to look at the tip of my brand new cartridge under a microscope and i cleaned the tip right off the cantilever. They replaced it for me and said “Just this once”. On my just out of warranty Ortofon 2M Black one of the pins in the the back just pulled out. I took it to the Needle Doctor where I bought it and they sent it to Ortofon who sent a brand new one, no charge in response.

What have you got to lose? Reach out to Lyra. You are not the first to have this happen.

When I heard that Ortofon replaced my out of warranty cratridge at no cost I was moved. Yes sir, moved.

3 Likes

Glad that Ortofon did right by you. In reality the pin should never have pulled out of the cartridge body. They recognized that for sure.

Thanks all. Think my frustration boiled over last night after a week of stuff breaking on me (brand new car has been in shop more days than I have driven it, irrigation system, then part of my audio system).

Woke up this morning, read the news, and realized these are all definitely “first world problems.”

The stylus was a bummer (and will probably eat up some of the money I’d allocated to having a custom rack built and my end-game phono stage—last two system-related purchases I had on my list), but the 300 is under warranty and I know I’ll get good service from the PS Audio folks. Plus, I’m local, so don’t have to go through all the shipping hassle.

Thanks again, and stay safe and well.

Ben

4 Likes

I had a wine catastrophe, red wine all over my marble countertop, white cabinets, in the drawers, floor, shards of glass still after washing, mopping, vacuuming, etc.
All that said and I’m not giving up wine.
Hang in there! Good times a comin’

3 Likes

Be thankful if a crappy audio day is the worst of your frustrations. For me it’s a crappy work day when everything seems to cascade. I’ve got an eruption with broken flight hardware on one of the programs I’m supporting and another with a development roadblock on the next generation flight program I’m working. My team has our prime contractor in our faces over failures and development bottlenecks on two megabuck hardware programs and the government customer in everyone’s faces. Days like that are when I consider fiddling with my audio rig to fix a problem, most recently one channel of the Sutherland DUO phono pre I’m using in my second system getting sick, a welcome respite from being barked at for a minimum of 40 hours a week.

1 Like