Curmudgeons welcome

Okay, I’ll get in on this too. IMPACT IS NOT A VERB! PARTNER IS NOT A VERB!

Bug off; with your newfangled double talk/computer mumbo-jumbo.

I had about 7 or eight guys from the neighborhood (o.k., OLD guys…) over last Saturday night to watch a classic movie comedy, and beforehand everyone was sitting around eating & drinking. I had some tunes on, and one guy commented how good the music sounded. I told him that I had made a couple of tweaks since the last time they were over. A different guy says “Oh? What kind of tweaks?” I explained that I added a Matrix and an Uptone LPS. He asked me what they do, so I tried to explain. Everyone in the room just sorta looked at me with a blank stare after I explained…

1 Like

You guys going on @bout word use. Just the other day I wanted to ask my wife to pass me the syrup. But it came out “you b*tch you’ve ruined my life”.

An easy mistake…

10 Likes

TWEAKS. Not “tweeks”

I get the two-space vs one-space argument. As best I can tell, a lot of computers correct for it. But this is a source of deep upset on Twitter.

So are we going to talk about the Oxford comma next? It would prove to be a scintillating conversation.

Sounds good to me. The Oxford comma shall always be used. Lol.

I’m done. Mr. Grammarian is out.

I still remember the red marks on English papers in high school when I forgot it.

Red marks with what? A Pencil?
I still remember the first calculator I ever saw. It had the small 8 segment LED’s and plugged into the wall. Just barely one step above an adding machine.
That would be another good one. Give anyone under 30 an adding machine and a stack of receipts to add up.

1 Like

Yes, a red pencil. My father’s best friend got the first TI calculator in town. I think it was four functions and cost over $300. I learned to use a slide rule in high school.

I still use HP calculators with RPN logic. Once you get the thinking behind the stack, it’s hard to ever go back to a “normal” (algebraic) calculator.

Plus no one ever steals your calculator.

3 Likes

Tell them what RPN stands for.

1 Like

I think it’s “typewriter”

1 Like

Good catch.

And to post on topic: Task is not a verb.

@Gary_M do you happen to own an LG TV? That remote will do some “fun”, unexpected things to your BHK preamp (like turn it off, change balance adjustment, etc.)

I hate the formerly fake word “irregardless” which now exists in Webster’s because too many people used it!

3 Likes

RPN = Reverse Polish Notation. Kind of “racist”.

1 Like

It is named for the nationality of the man who invented it.

I got a little grief over the term in school as my nationality is very obvious even if you don’t know my name.