Desktop Powered Speakers - Recs? What do you use?

Adam’s cheapest is $400… $200 ea. They are very highly rated… been reading up on them… hmmm…

I listened and compared monitors at a guitar center in NYC a few years ago but only listened to their top-shelf units (was looking for a pair for my keyboard rig). I was surprised, as always, at how differently all these monitors sounded. They all purport to be ruler-flat but as we audio nerds know, that is pretty irrelevant. The best sounding monitors in their collection were the Adams… by far. I compared Yamaha, Focal, and others I can’t recall off hand. The Adam units were the top of the price range on display at the store $2000 for a pair IIRC.

So… if I were to pull the trigger without listening, the cheapest Adams appeal to me most due to my experience listening at the store. My biggest disappointment at the store, based on my biases, were the Focal units… they sounded not that good. The Yamahas sounded dead… just all sounded odd in different ways. I suspect any of them would be OK as your ears adapt and you learn with experience, but the Adam units sounded darn good to me.

To see what I did for my keyboard rig, check out my post here are Piano World below. BTW, musicians are really ignorant of high-quality audio and some are just anti-audiophile and can be aggressively negative. Interesting…

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

I use Adam’s in my studio. They are excellent.