Direct Stream Memory Player Cover Art and Meta Data related Qs

When I insert a disk the screen readout momentarily indicates that the player is downloading track info and album art but then I get the message “file r/w error.” This invariably occurs even though the readout also tells me the internet connection and SD card are both ok. The connection is via a TP-Link mini-router. Can anyone tell me why the downloads are not working? Thanks.

I just went through this. I ran out of ethernet connections so decided to add an additional network switch to my system. It appeared that everything was good (lights on the front of the switch showed correct values, etc.) but I could not ping the components plugged into the new switch. The DMP was one of these components. It showed “internet ok” on the front panel but I got the same file error message as you are getting. After finally solving the switch installation issue, everything is back to normal. So double-check your network; can you ping the DMP? Does it show up as connected using a utility like Fing?

You should see “Downloading track info”; if the info is not found in the PSA database, it will say “info not found” rather than “file r/w error.” Likewise with album art.

valschaffner said When I insert a disk the screen readout momentarily indicates that the player is downloading track info and album art but then I get the message "file r/w error." This invariably occurs even though the readout also tells me the internet connection and SD card are both ok. The connection is via a TP-Link mini-router. Can anyone tell me why the downloads are not working? Thanks.
I think there is problem with the database that has been present since Thursday morning. I can no longer get the DMP to connect to the database. This did happen at the same time I was deliberately trying to break the artwork downloads by interrupting them on my DMP, but I've restarted the DMP and and the router and everything in between and it still won't talk anymore. This is a new issue for me and I think it may be on the server side.
Peanut Butter said
For those discs that do not display art when they are playing, have you confirmed the cover art is stored on the SD card as a BMP file?
magister said This might be true the first time one plays a disc. But if one has an SD card in the slot then the cover art should be saved there (I guess) and in one's Playlist on the PSA site.

The art only gets saved to the SD card (and displayed) if it successfully downloads. If you interrupt the download, it doesn’t get saved. It doesn’t matter if the disc has been played before or not. You can get the unit to retry the download by stopping play, pressing play, then pressing pause. When the downloading artwork message appears wait for it to disappear before pressing play. If I allow the DMP to play before the download completes, I never see the artwork and the file never gets saved to the card.

I have also managed to create one entry in my playlist for an SACD with artwork that the DMP refuses to download. I’ve even tried replacing the image file in the playlist. The DMP does pull down the metadata for that entry. Even if it delete the metadata from the card and start over, it still won’t download the image for that one disc.

-Pb

Edited a few bits from the quote to reduce the size.

I currently don’t have many entries on my playlist so I’m hoping to get this sorted out before my playlist gets too long. Last night instead of listening to music I was experimenting with the DMP/cover art/playlist. I looked at the sd card as PB suggested - thank you. I found several albums .txt files without their cover accompanying cover art .BMP file. All the albums are correctly registered in my playlist along with cover art. I loaded up each CD in the DMP and waited (patiently) for the DMP to acknowledge the cover art download and partially played the 1st track verifying that the cover art displayed correctly. Thank you PB for that information.

However, one CD didn’t show cover art - it just displayed the PS Audio logo (wave/blue background). Download cover are did not report any error either. Checked the SD card and all album entries except this one had updated their respective .BMP files.

This CD is #2 of the Peter Gabriel ‘Secret World Live’ two CD set. CD1 works in the DMP and the cover art .BMP file is on the SD card. I copied the #1 .BMP file and renamed it to the same filename(but the ext is .bmp) as the CD2 text file (this appears to be how the tracklist/cover art is formatted for each album). Popped the SD card back in the DMP, powered up the DMP, re-tried playing CD#2 (again waiting patiently) for download cover art to complete before starting play - and the PS Audio logo appeared.

I have no idea…

Thanks for the advice. After reading magister’s post and checking the instructions for the router, I realized I needed to configure it in client mode. Now that I have done so, the setup is working correctly, displaying either track info and album art, or “info not found.”

frank7036 said Edited a few bits from the quote to reduce the size.
Thanks!

I’m glad that what I went through pointed you in the right direction!

Since Thursday morning l cannot get any disc I haven’t played on the DMP or PWT before (and was never added to My Playlist) to be added (even as ‘unknown’) to My Playlist. I’ve wiped my SD card clean and if I load a disc I’ve previously played and is already in My Playlist, the existing artwork and metadata will download and that entry will move to the top of My Playlist and the number of plays will increment by one. If it’s a CD that never made it to My Playlist before, I get the artwork and metadata (if it exists) but no Playlist entry. For SACDs that aren’t already in My Playlist nothing happens - no metadata or artwork is downloaded (of course) and no new entry appears in My Playlist. Is anyone else having this problem or have I managed to mangle my account somehow?

Me too — since last night no entries for discs not previously played, including ‘Unknown’ for discs it can’t find.

Yep, there was definitely a bug on the server preventing new discs making it to the Playlist. It is now resolved.

Thanks for letting us know, and for your patience!

-Tyera @ PS Audio

The problem of no new entry / update to my Playlist (including “Unknown”) still persists since I first registered the DMP on Jan 14. What happened to the server?

• Chaz

The server has been working for me during the last couple of days. I’m not sure what’s going on in your situation. My only suggestion is to check your network. I recently had a situation where the front panel of the DMP said “Internet OK” but nothing in fact was getting through due to a problem with a network switch. Can you ping the DMP using a utility like Fing?

Chaz-

Magister is right - check your network. Also verify that your unit has an ID assigned. Do this by touching the row of three dots (…) in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to access the status screen. The very first line of that screen is Unit ID which should have a six-digit number visible in the right-side column. If there is no number or it’s something like 000000, PS Audio has a fix. That ID is key to your playlist and the DMP talking to each other.

-Pb

question about the finding disc data the upc code box when blank you see a layout like this ##### ##### ##, is this the way the number should be put in or should be like # ##### ##### # as typically shown on the back of the disc, again for SACS’s mainly

I’ve had pretty poor results from using the code field. Like badbeef, I’ve found that just using the title and maybe the artist field works best. Generally I’ve had better results supplying less information rather than more. For instance, I just added the SHM-SACD of Black Sabbath’s Heaven and Hell by entering “Heaven” in the title field and “Black Sabbath” in the artist field. “Heaven and Hell” by itself in the title field returned a lot of results I didn’t want. Since you seem to be limited to only a few pages of results, that wasn’t going to work. The UPC code returned nothing, but the combination I supplied returned exactly one record and it was the one I wanted. If you get to the end of the returned pages, click the X at the upper right corner rather than ‘search again’ as ‘search again’ seems to really mean ‘I can’t find what you want, get lost’ because the page usually refuses to let me do another search. Clicking the X allows me to run multiple searches.

I’ve also found that it’s much better to chose a result that has the right track titles and the wrong artwork as it’s much easier to load a new image than it is to edit the track titles.

All very good advice from PB. I don’t think that trying a barcode has ever worked for me, whether for SACDs or for Redbook CDs.

Thanks to Tyera for the clarifications also!

Punctuation of the barcode should not matter. 123456789012 will bring up the same results as 1-2345-67890-12 or 1 2345 67890 12.

However, the reason the barcode search is so spotty with SACDs is that the barcode ties the search to the specific format, and the public music catalogs have very poor SACD representation. An artist/title search can pull data from all disc formats, so you can find CD versions of the same disc and use the data for your playlist.

In the meantime, we are working on a way that PS Audio community members can share disc information, so that SACDs will have better performance automatically finding track data and cover art.

Hope that helps!

-Tyera @ PS Audio

Thanks Tyera, yes it seems easier to just type artist name as I just did with Tiny Islands it found it right away

See this new topic for some improvements to the Playlist feature!

Hey Magister I finally had a barcode actually find an album for me today! I’m new to the Playlist feature but the dozen or so discs I tried up to that point didn’t work so at least I can confirm that it does work. I guess it just depends on the disc.