Qs on DMP Transport

have few Qs about DMP and future -

1. Is there any work going on in making the Meta Data access software better ? Right now I put all Meta Data in Music Brainz and it brings the same flawlessly. Only issue is if I have an album which has multiple artists, say 1 or 2 artists at each track level (and album artist is ‘Various Artist’), it does not show the individual artist name for the track. Instead it shows "Various Artists’. This should be something simple to fix as anyway it is getting all data from Music Brainz.

2. How long PS Audio plans to support current DMP ? And in the new version will PS Audio continue to support Cover Art display ?

Regards,

Sourav

1 Like

We do our best to support all our products for as many years as we can. Much depends on the availability of parts, which is a particularly difficult problem on DMP since it is based on the Oppo transport and Oppo no longer makes or supports the transports. Fortunately, the mechanism inside is excellent and we’ve had very few problems with them.

As for software updates we are no longer updating software for DMP. As I have explained in the past, since we have to communicate internally with the Oppo transport, we needed the engineering assistance of Oppo to make further changes to the system. When Oppo was in business this was an ongoing effort with our team. As they disbanded their team we no longer have access to the Oppo code source and thus are stuck with what we have.

The new transport will not support cover art. Its screen is smaller and supports only its operation.

Hey @Paul
It’s been quite some time since the DMP was discontinued. Can you give an update on the replacement including an ETA?
Thanks
Ron

@Paul.
Will the new Transport be similar to the PWT - reads the disc then places the data into a Digital Lens or will it read straight from the disc - same as the DMP.?

Thanks.
Dirk.

Hi Paul @Paul

The update I am requesting for should not be anything to do with Oppo to do any further change.

It is at the program level that goes to Music Brainz and populate the Metadata. It looks like while populating the Metadata it is not using the Track level artist level information. Instead it is using Album Artist for every Track.

BTW, wondering why PS Audio is not supporting the cover art in the new Transport. This is one of the unique features in a Transport that no other companies in the world (as far as I know) provides. And that makes the listening experience so complete for me. I would sincerely request you to reconsider that decision.

Regards,

1 Like

Let me check with Barry who is our head programmer.

We’re launching the new transport this summer. SACD ready.

3 Likes

Hi Paul @Paul I ask again. Will the new Transport be similar to the PWT in that it reads the disc then places the data into a Digital Lens or will it read straight from the disc same as the DMP.?

Thanks.
Dirk.

The issue you are seeing with the cover art is due to whomever datafilled the album never took the time to type the individual artists names. You can do that yourself if you like. go to your playlist. Be sure you inserted the disc you want to update with you DMP connected to the internet. Find the title and edit it. You can get that information from amazon or anyone else who sells the album. When I datafill my discs I always put the individual artists names in for each track. I than share my albums with the community.

1 Like

Dirk,
When Paul was talking about the next player not being SACD capable the plans were for it to be a true memory player like the PWT. Once the plans changed to include SACD playback and they have to use another manufacturers transport i believe it went back to being like the DMP with the small after the read buffer.

2 Likes

Thanks, John. Paul answered two out of three questions posted to him but not mine. That’s the reason I asked the question, Paul had intimated the next memory player would be in the same vein as the PWT.

But if it’s similar to the DMP then I will give it a pass as I already own two SACD players, DMP and the PWT. I fancied an all out statement Redbook only CD player - which is what Paul, (initially), said it would be. Anyway.
ATB,
Dirk.

2 Likes

@Paul. What will the transport cost?

1 Like

It’s a kind of hybrid between the two. Where the PWT had a long Digital Lens buffer (as much as 30 seconds) the new transport has a very short one (less than a second), but the concept is the same.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. It’s appreciated.

1 Like

Yes, this is correct, though we still use the same concept, just not the longer buffer.

I am guessing about the same as a DS, about $6K.

1 Like

Thanks.

Oh. In that case it wud be in same price range of DMP.

So it wud be interesting to see if would surpass sound of DMP or not.

Regards,
Sourav

The difference being it does not extract the data in advance it plays the disk on the fly the same way other players do.

1 Like

That’s our goal and mission. First listens I’ve had, though brief, would indicate a lot better than DMP. To be determined over time.

1 Like