Direct Stream requires frequent reboots

My DS is connected to a PWT, an Oppo, a Bryston BDP-2 and a Sony XA777ES. I occasionally hot swap in a mastering deck or other piece of pro kit.

Rock solid stable.

As with all computers, it fusses when something is connected to it that falls out of spec.

I’m fairly new to digital audio, and have been enjoying my DirectStream DAC now for about 10 days. I have my SACD player connected to the optical input, my music server connected via the coax and a Windows 8.1 angry_gif Dell laptop connected to the USB. The other day the USB connection wasn’t recognized by Windows. Digging a little further, the driver for my old DAC (the one built into my amp) was also missing! After re-installing the one for the DAC in my amp, rebooting both the laptop and the DirectStream DAC (with the back panel power switch), all was well.

I have a feeling that Microsoft has issues with Windows 8.1 and USB, as I don’t do much with that laptop, have the DAC and an external hard drive connected via USB, only use it to stream music, don’t do much else with the unit, and get the “oops…something has gone wrong, I’m rebooting” message, even when I’ve just booted the laptop.

If it happens again, I’ll just reboot the DAC and see if the USB driver “re-appears”. But I suspect it’s Windows, not the DAC.

I have also noted that if I turn off my Sony laptop (using it as the server w/J-River) when I turn it back on the PS Audio driver has vanished. I have windows 8 (ugh) and have always blamed it on the OS. Now, after reading these comments at least Im not the only one. Initially I would waste a lot of time trying to figure out why I had lost sound, only to eventually discover the laptop was using the default driver again. I would turn the DAC off, then on, and then the driver would appear in the Sony. In a fees instances it indicated the driver was back, but wouldn’t work until I downloaded the driver again from the PS audio site. It’s an annoyance but at least I know what is going on and how to fix it although I wish it wouldn’t keep happening. Since I use the laptop for other purposes I don’t know if the driver would “stay put” if I didn’t turn there machine off and left the USB wire hooked up to the DAC.

Using a Mini and players like JRiver or Pure Music I constantly had disconnects but never had to mess with the driver to restore, it was such a pain I moved to a NAS/ Bridge which now is very stable. My theory is the players and the DS didn’t get along for some reason because now that I use the Mini just for streaming eg Spotify I no longer have the drops. Nothing else has changed to explain it. BTW when I used the Bridge with the Mini I also had the disconnects.

Godzilla63 said I have windows 8 (ugh)...
If you have Windows 8 but not 8.1 you might consider upgrading. Some have reported fewer USB problems with 8.1 than 8.0.

Windows 8 suspends operation of idle USB devices. This registry hack may be of help: click

Speaking from a different angle, I’ve had a lot of disconnects in foobar with the Bridge and UPnP/Wavestream playing PCM files. Can’t figure out if it’s the cable modem, router (next in the chain), computer operations, the music files themselves or the DS-related drivers that is causing it. However, since installing the PerfectWave DAC Control Point software on a lark a few days ago, I’ve rarely had to restart anything, although I’ve been tempted sometimes. Rebooting the computer definitely has no effect. I didn’t have any of this with USB (TotalDac1 cable), perhaps because I run Win 8.1.

Many have had Ethernet connection issues (but primarily with Internet access). This is typically resolved with rolling back to an older driver or downloading the latest manufacturer’s driver for the device.

Do you mean an older DS driver? The Linksys E1200’s driver is up to date (last was in March).

I’m completely puzzled at the moment. “Bridge” is no longer showing in either the Wavestream dialog or the PerfectWave DAC Control Point. And the latter has now disappeared from the sys tray and neither restarting it or rebooting the computer gets it back for long - it quits working in a few seconds. So far everything I’ve tried - reboots, driver/app reinstalls, resets of UPnP and the Bridge, including reinstalling its driver, haven’t fixed it. What the Wavestream dialog currently shows is “Perfectwave DAC010977,” which is also what foobar is showing with UPnP. That is, it’s playing on the lan line, I assume, but there’s no software mention of the Bridge anymore.

Regarding my comment last night (and Ted’s prompt response)I have checked my laptop and it is Windows 8.1, not 8 as I had recalled when writing my comments. So my comments about the driver issue do apply for windows 8.1. It may well be a problem that I wouldn’t have on an Apple but I have sunk the money into this laptop and ripped my collection of cd’s so changing machines isn’t really an option for me.

As I previously posted I cannot get the PS Audio driver to remain on my laptop (Sony originally windows 8) after it is turned off. The factory driver always returns.T ed suggested Windows 8.1, which I have downloaded. No luck. Another person suggested the USB driver “power” setting in windows. Adjusted those. No Luck.

Hoped the new Pikes Peak download might improve the situation but it hasn’t.

Since Ted is a Microsoft guy…is there any hope Windows 10 will be compatible? The constant reloads are making me less likely to use the DAC as it is a hassle to do this every time I want to listen using my server.

I left Microsoft in 2002 (or something like that :) ) so I don’t have much insider information re Windows 10. Still they did a lot of USB rework in Windows 8 so there were a lot of USB bugs, Windows 10 will probably be much better for USB re power on/off and suspend/resume, etc.

When you say “factory driver” do you mean a Microsoft Windows 8 driver or a Sony specific USB driver?

Have you tried a different USB port? (I know it sounds silly but it’s helped a few people.)

FWIW I had a problem that sounds like what you are talking about just yesterday: I thought that my new scope was broken (lots of capricious disconnects.) It took me a while to figure out that the problem was with a specific USB cable which had always worked on my older scope but not on the new one. I naively moved swapped that cable with the USB cable on the DirectStream to get the scope working. Later I noticed similar problem to what you report on the DS. I trashed the cable and now things are great again. I’m pretty sure that the cable couldn’t provide the 500mA needed for the scope but I don’t know why it caused problems on the DS, but it did.

Hi Ted. As always thank you for replying to my post. The driver I have mentioned is a RealTek that came with the laptop and is for the factory chosen sound card. That is what I have referred to as the “factory” driver.

I have tried using a different USB port and so far this seems to work!!! I have turned the machine off several times and on restart there is the PS Audio driver. That’s a first. Over the next few days of course I will repeat this and use the laptop for the usual mundane tasks in my office. However, if it turns out to be something that simple it will make me feel even more foolish for not trying that initially. I thought one USB port is the same as another USB port. Why in the world would that make a difference? The more I dabble with computer audio the more I find I know very little.

I will let you know if this works over a period of time, and I certainly hope it does. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and those of others on this site. I have come to conclude that you and Paul really support this product 100% and that every customer matters. That is an unusual attitude in today’s high end world.

I’m glad it worked so far. Why a laptop should treat one USB port differently than another I don’t know, but you aren’t alone.

After much testing, suggestions from people etc I admit defeat with Windows 8.1 and keeping the USB driver working (I.e. Installed) It still disappears when the machine is turned off and must be reloaded to use the DAC. I know Vade Forrester (reviewer) and others have not had issues with Windows 7. I am seriously thinking about buying Windows 7 Pro and removing 8.1. Anyone done this? I have never gone “backwards” on a system OS but am really tired of constantly reloading the driver for each listening session. Wondering if I may have unintended consequences from this action. Or, any idea if Windows 10 will solve these USB issues and I should wait. Tough decision, but 8 & 8.1 have made this an unpleasant situation for over one year. Enough.

Godzilla63 said After much testing, suggestions from people etc I admit defeat with Windows 8.1 and keeping the USB driver working (I.e. Installed) It still disappears when the machine is turned off and must be reloaded to use the DAC. I know Vade Forrester (reviewer) and others have not had issues with Windows 7. I am seriously thinking about buying Windows 7 Pro and removing 8.1. Anyone done this? I have never gone "backwards" on a system OS but am really tired of constantly reloading the driver for each listening session. Wondering if I may have unintended consequences from this action. Or, any idea if Windows 10 will solve these USB issues and I should wait. Tough decision, but 8 & 8.1 have made this an unpleasant situation for over one year. Enough.
I'm having the same with W2012 so not sure if it is a Windows 8 issue - maybe an interaction with PWD firmware? I never had this with my NAD M51 on the same hw/W2012 environment. Very annoying issue....