DS, gap in corner of case

This is my replacement DS so not going anywhere. The corner piece on the left has a much larger gap than that on the right. The right is pretty much flush. I was wondering if there is any way I can adjust this? Or if it is just the very nature of the casework? It does not really bother me but if I could make it uniform without too much effort that would be nice. I was wondering why they did not use CNC billet Aluminum? It is not so expensive is it? I think I read that is one thing they did to bring it to us for $6k/$6.5k(bridge). Fine with me, it is the sound that matters.

Photos would be helpful. I’m not understanding what you mean by gap, or how one side is different from the other.

My DS has the same gap…but in reverse.The right side has an open gap while the left side is flush with no gap. 8(

The chassis are hand assembled and we do our best to make them even but it’s like a big puzzle. Get one joint perfect and the other will likely be out a tad. You can’t adjust these because they are hand assembled and then painted as a whole.

Brodric.here you go. Notice the gap differences…

1 Like

That does seem excessive. Let me check to see if that can be adjusted.

2 Likes

Unplug the device, tip it upside down, tell me if you can hear a rattle inside as you do so.

MR. McGowan, Mine is literally twice that much on one side. I guess you just said there is nothing I can do. It is okay. I am more interested in the sound.

I had the same issue with my DSD (same corner of the unit, no less, and about the same amount of gap). The service folks at PS Audio gave me advice on how to do it.

You’ll need to remove the top. There are instructions on replacing fuses somewhere on the PS Audio website that explains this. Anyway, not too difficult but you need to know what screws to remove on the bottom of the unit (there are a lot of them and only 4 hold the lid on). The top fit is very snug. I modified the instructions a bit by using a small drift pin punch through the screw holes (once screws were removed, obviously) to get the lid moving so it could be gently pried off without scratching the nice shiny top surface.

When you look at the corner pieces, you’ll see that they are attached to the side and front panels by two screws top and bottom. In my case, the screws had loosened over time. The corner pieces are a tight fit with the circuit boards so you’ll need a phillips screwdriver with a long shaft. Anyway, I backed off the screws, aligned the corner and re-tightened. I wasn’t able to get it “perfect,” but it made a big improvement - and not readily visible. I checked the other corner and those screws were loose, too, but the corner piece had not moved. If you hear something loose inside the chassis, I bet it’s one of those little screws. If this is the case, check for the lock washer while you’re in there. There is one on each screw.

Obviously, leave the unit unplugged overnight before you go rummaging around inside to make sure caps are discharged, etc.

I suspect thermal cycling might have loosened them. A suggestion to the PS Audio guys: a dab of Loktite during assembly would probably have prevented this.

1 Like

Or they might not have been tightened properly at the factory in the first place. My DSJ arrived brand new with 2 corner screws not fitted at all.

All chassis corner screws on DSJ built since April 2016 should already be using Loktite. I told them of this problem then, and I was to understand that the Director of Engineering had agreed to do this.

Indeed. I checked with engineering and this should not be a problem with moving. The instructions offered to fix this look to be accurate but they should leave the factory with tighter tolerances and customers should not have to do this. I am on it to see if we can’t do better in the future. Thanks for the help and good eyes.

If they can build one with perfect tolerances, I should think they could all be built with perfect tolerances. I’m guessing the assembled tolerances and fit is something that gets QC’d prior to leaving the factory.

If only manufacturing were so simple.

2 Likes

If the chassis was assembled in a jig then they should all be identical and perfect.

I agree Paul…customers should not have to do this… or any other fixes with kit when it comes with manufacturing defects.

If only manufacturing were so simple.

Exactly… Typically a lot of overhead goes in to Quality related processes- for a reason. If PSA made screws, that would be a different story. However hopefully there is an outgoing QC check for function, fit and finish. I’m sure Paul and Co. have something in place (hopefully separate from Engineering).

Good to hear, if they followed through. My unit predated the change.

It’s pretty important that metallic things like screws don’t unscrew themselves and thus become an electrical hazard. Imagine if an errant screw within the gizzards of the device shorted out an electrical thingy? The outcome might be very unfortunate.

This is why PSA has my Business for life. Instead of say screw the customer or who cares it is good enough. No, they strive to do better without adding any additional cost in most circumstances. They actually care what they make. A rarity today when everything else is made in China just to cut cost. Add to that as I have mentioned before, here we are speaking with the top people in the company in an open forum. Where they actually entertain our suggestions. It is like they wound back the clock 50 years but the products remain state of the art.

I have Parkinson’s disease and they just replaced this unit. I know to leave it alone. It does not bother me. It is fine. To give an idea, I did not even use the white gloves. I really do not care personally if it had Duct tape all over it. To me the sound is paramount. I could care less about cosmetics. I know others may strongly disagree, Which is why I am in fact glad that they always strive to do better.

However as mentioned, a loose screw floating in there could spell Boom. I really could care less but I bet if MR. McGowan saw this unit he would shake his head wondering how it left the factory I bet. It is right at the point where you can see inside it! They absolutely do not need to make any concession to me though. It is 100% fine with me. Especially now I have over 1,200 hours on this one. I had mentioned elsewhere 1,000 hours seems to be where the sound will change no further whatsoever with this unit. You hit 1,000 consider it broken in. Probably well before that but that is the absolute limit I would say.

Thanks to everyone at PS Audio and keep up the good work!

-Todd