DS Jr. running Snowmass freezes

I had the same “freezing” problem. I’ve given up on Snowmass and ‘am back on RedCloud. There were some things I liked about Snowmass but overall, RedCloud sounds better in my system so no complaints… :wink:

This is a new one to me. I have posited the question to engineering but unfortunately everyone’s gone for the new year holiday and not back until Wednesday.

It happened a few times now. On the last occasion I had visitors so I felt too embarrassed to do the hard reset. Therefore I kept playing and used the remote volume control function on my Audionet DNP preamp so nobody noticed… :blush:
Because of this I found that after a while the volume in Roon was working again so somehow the connection was restored. It happened to all of us after we’ve installed SnowMass. But probably also when we’ve installed the update of the bridge. Could it be related to the bridge?

same trouble here, since snowmass or has it to do with the bridge update?

Is anybody having the DSJr display freeze up that is NOT using Roon? I was using Roon last night with the DSJr and my laptop outputs linked together (for headphone and or speaker playback). Switching back and forth between DSJr output, Laptop output, and both. Using both the Roon on screen controls and PSA remote to control volume and mute functions of the DSJr. One of the combinations got the display to freeze but I didn’t notice for a few minutes so I don’t know which combo did it. Seems like a Roon / Bridge II handshaking issue now? Restarting the DSJr always fixes the issue here. I have not tried restarting Roon to see if that works. Next time I will restart Roon first and then the laptop. Dang computers anyway. :thinking:

I am not using Roon but am getting The Freeze!

@FMaximus Are you playing back thru the bridge II or a different input?

My DSJr froze once right after I did the Snowmass upgrade. I use Roon with a QNAP NAS and Mac Mini for my Roon Core. When I went to play some music Roon didn’t see my DSJr as an endpoint. I then went over to my unit and noticed it was froze. I rebooted the DSJr and life has been good ever since.

Spotify via Bridge II. Will now try itunes/Audirvana via usb. The other issue i’ve had is the input selector changing from Auto which is where i generally leave it. Will be on holiday in a few hours so will do some more investigating.

Yep happens to me with a certain frequency. No Roon.

@FMaximus I tried using the USB input today still using Roon and didn’t have any trouble but probably did not use it long enough to find out. It is the first time I have used the USB input as a Roon endpoint and it did sound pretty darn good. So far no issues today and its been playing all day although just a half hour or so thru USB.

DSJ freeze has happened twice now to me since upgrading to SM and the Bridge update. Posting to confirm I have the same symptoms as others and corrected with a back button power down. Problem occurred both times after many hours of continuous playback. Shorter sessions do not seem to be affected. I run Roon on a mac mini and notice the freeze when the output volume does not change when changing the iPad Roon volume slider.

I hadn’t realized that but … yeah, in my particular setup it also seems to happen after a session of say longer than an hour, hour-and-a-half.

DISPLAY freeze when playing back thru the [bridge II](USB no problem).

Yep it happened again today, Bridge while running Tidal. It froze leaving just the volume number (96 in my case), track info disappeared and so did the “*” (asterisk) indicating that there was a signal being received. It still played beautifully though, changed tracks, worked through playlists etc only the DSjr screen was frozen.

@attmci Thanks for letting me know. Must have something to do with the last Bridge update if USB does not cause the same issue. This weekend I will try playng thru USB for a few hours and see what happens.

1 Like

DSJ froze today, same symptoms as reported by others.

I have not updated the Bridge.

I am using Roon as the source.

Mine just froze for the first time today. Same effect described by others. Can’t even control the volume manually. Glad that at least I’m not alone. I’ve been running Snowmass since very soon after it came out. Nothing else has changed in my system.
I reinstalled Snowmass which did not help. I’ve restarted the DAC and Roon many times. Sometimes things will work normally for a very short period of time.
I haven’t done anything to update the bridge separately. Would’ve happened during the Snowmass install, right? The first time I installed this version I did the long button push for the Bridge update but nothing happened. I posted about that and didn’t see a response so I assumed it wasn’t an issue.
Before this I occasionally had an issue where Roon’s volume control wouldn’t work. That’s the only glitch I’d ever seen. Restarting different parts of the chain was always enough to solve that.
Probably going back to Redcloud until a fix is posted.

What’s your “Menu View” setting?

Can you try to set it to “Sample Rate”?

Snowmass doesn’t upgrade the bridge. That has to be done separately unless something has changed. Now I could be wrong but I did mine separately. You can look at the version of bridge code to see if you are at the latest.