DSD 256 on GCD?

Cambridge Streamer V2
Or USB TO Stellar pre from computer

Dr. Laurence Rosenblatt

While you’re using the Cambridge streamer, where are the files coming from? Local or from a streaming service?

Just trying to understand your setup and connections and maybe assist since I have a similar streamer.

On the Cambridge CXN C2 streamer, do you connect via a digital output (coax or toslink); or via the analog outputs (rca or xlr)?

Internet
Qobuz

Dr. Laurence Rosenblatt

Are you certain the Cambridge is sending files higher than 44.1/16 to the GDAC? The GDAC does not have the ability to up/down sample what it is receiving.

That’s where I was heading - also, check to ensure Qobuz is set higher than 44.1 (it took me a while to realize this when I first set up).

2 Likes

Yes I was told the Stellar does not change scale
Conversation with Cambridge support
Says they transmit higher than 44.1KHz

Paul from PS Audio told me the ESS chip inability to display correct sample rate is problem with Stellar preamp

However it’s a mystery to me
Many in this room have reported the same problem

I feel like I’m in a maze of information with no clear resolve

Thanks for your concern

Larry

Dr. Laurence Rosenblatt

I am afraid that you have the same problem as me, on USB input the Stellar Gain Cell DAC shows no bit rate, sample frequency or file format at all. We are told that PS Audio has bigger fish to fry than solving this problem.
If you switch to another digital input like optical Toslink or coax SPDIF as you play CD’s, it would show 16 bit 44.2 kHz, I’f you play a redbook CD. Funny enough the SGCD does show file formats on any other digital input than USB.

But when set to USB, the SGCD will accept higher resolution. 24bit 384 kHz, DSD 128 is max.
The stories that the SGCD plays DSD 256 are debunked by somebody else above as that Audirvana will adjust the file format to the max. resolution the attached DAC (SGCD) in this case. What I find funny or rather a pity is, that there seem to SGCD owners out there who’s display does show file format for USB input, but PS Audio does not (seem to be able to) fix this for those units where this doesn’t work.

Hi
Thanks for the response.

I was in communication with PS Audio support team and there was zero help! One person told me it was a Win 10 problem, another told me to call Qobuz, and another to call Cambridge Audio about the streamer.

Then I was emailed by Paul that I was told that it is a software problem that would be addressed in Jan 2012.I waited till mid Jan 2021 and wrote to Paul and he stated that the sample rate display problem was due to the ESS chip and that there is no resolve to this issue.

This problem has been mentioned on the PS Audio Forum by other as well dating to 2019.

Frankly, I’m a bit agitated by the total story! In addition, I have had the PS Audio S300 back for a faulty 12v trigger mechanism and in doing their final ck they discovered that the output boards on the S300 were faulty and had to be replaced.

I just wrote to ESS Technology for a clarification on their ESS chip that is being used in the Stellar pre-amp. I just wrote to them a few days ago and have not had a response as of yet. Either the chip is faulty, or the chip, as they made, it was used inappropriately.

I have had the Stellar and the S300 since June,2019. I began reporting, to PS Audio support team, the trigger problem and the display problem shortly after setting up the system and it took forever to obtain acknowledgment of the need for repair of the power amp; the “ESS chip story” is another mess.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Larry

I find the accusation to ESS interesting and am curious about what they have to say about it.

Too many problems with PS Audio!
Lots of Smoke

Yes I did find this screen
thx

I hope I get an ans???

many email requests are never addressed

I tried to find a direct call number but was unsuccessful

digital

One thing about PS Audio is, they do answer and try to tell you how it is, not what we want to hear. At least we know where we stand. Which is way better than hearing nothing.

Do you have it set to play the higher rates? Also, are you only using the USB in?

Yes to all

Dr. Laurence Rosenblatt

Does it display something different over COAX?

No

Dr. Laurence Rosenblatt

I don’t know if this will add any light to the question, or just muddy things up, but I have a NuPrime CDT-8 Pro transport, which will let you play at standard redbook rates, or upsample them to a wide variety of rates (PCM from 44 to 768, and DSD from 64 to 256), and which has connectivity via a variety of cable types (Toslink, coax, HDMI, AES/EBU). They claim pin-for-pin compatibility between their HDMI output and PSA’s I2S input, and several months’ use seems to confirm that.

I have it connected to my SGCD via both coax and HDMI. I use the coax output for listening to either straight redbook or upsampling to PCM 384, and the HDMI/I2S for listening to DSD 128, and it seems to be working great all around, thought I admit I tend to leave it on the DSD setting most of the time. Granted, the sampling rates aren’t confirmed by any information in the SGCD display, but I can attest they are all different from one another, either by the quality of sound they produce, or by the fact that some settings simply produce noise.