DSD 256 on GCD?

Are you certain the Cambridge streamer is sending something higher than 44.1 over COAX?

James,

How can any Stellar Gain Cell DAC owner be really sure? - What is certain, is that Stellar again Cell DAC owners can never really confirm that because the Stellar Gain Cell DAC does either display file formats unreliable or not at all.

Apparently PS Audio is not able to fix this, which is rather unpleasant news for SGCD owners.

So please stop doubting other brands equipment or your customers feedback. It simply doesn’t matter anymore, because the Stellar Gain Cell DAC, is never going to provide those answers. Unless PS Audio is going to provide us SGCD owners a piece of equipment that helps us providing you 100% confirmation about the file format. Which is what we have expected the Stellar Gain Cell DAC would do in the first place.

I should have added in my post that I did try DSD 256 output on my NuPrime transport, going to the SGCD I2S input, and the sound quality was fine, but it was subject to random split-second dropouts. Sometimes a whole disc would play flawlessly, sometimes I’d get 5 or 6 of these hiccups in each track. When I posed the question in a NuPrime forum someone pointed out to me that the 256 setting was exceeding the SGCD’s capabilities as they’re represented in the written specs. So I dialed it back to 128 and it hasn’t happened since.

I had the same experience when accidentaly feeding DSD 256 files via BitPerfect from my iMac into USB, which however seems perfectly reasonable since the SGCD is specified PCM 24 bit 283 kHz, DSD 128. I was even surprised to get (pieces of) sound at all when it happened.