DSD modded vs DS mk2

It’s probably been already asked and answered but has anyone compared the fully modded DSD with APS transformers and VOCM mod and external analog power supply and power supply board against a new DS mk2. I am enjoying a full mod mk1 as stated above and I like it but I wonder how it would compare to the mk2.

I’ve seen “both sides now” on this forum regarding these two DACs configured. . . it may be system dependent.

It would be easy for me to believe that the results are very close or that one would prefer one or the other. I have a DSD Mk II and an original DSD with the Edcor transformer mod and the outboard power supply board and a Farad Super3 (no VOCM mod) and the two are different, and in my main system I prefer the Mk II but it’s certainly a subtle difference in presentation and my wife prefers the sound of the original DSD (she likes a slightly more forceful sound than I).

Here’s hoping you get conclusive impressions and opinions posted here of direct comparisons.

1 Like

For me the MK2 was a step up from the (almost) fully modded MK1. I think the MK2 has about double the processing power and Ted was able to get more performance using the newer tech.
Either one are good choices especially from a value for money viewpoint.

2 Likes

I have a modded MK1 with the APS and VOCM mods. I compared it to a MK2 and I liked the improvements the MK2 made, but they were very subtle. After the MK2 left, I noticed it’s absence but only briefly.

1 Like

I heard that at Axpona 2023