ENO/MUON Ethernet Filters for Streaming Audio

I thought I was a pretty ordinary reader. I’ve probably read more of Andrew Everard because I’ve subscribed to Gramophone for 35+ years and he’s done the audio for most of that. It was also thanks to him I put in fibre. I tend to note reviewers by exception, avoiding the opinionated ones. I just scan most review to find out about products and what’s going on. Only when I’m after something do I scrutinise them carefully. The last significant product I bought had a relatively poor review in The Ear.

I just wanted to point out that I don’t buy everything that gets a rave review in the audio press, but I do pay attention to positive reviews - especially if they are backed by practical feedback from customers. I decided to try the ENO filter and cable because of several very positive comments from people I respect who tried the filter and really liked it. If you care about that kind of info regarding the ENO, take a look at a thread started by Grannyring over on the Audiogon forum in the Digital section. I thought that some folks here on the PS Audio forum might be interested as well, which is why I started this thread. And I didn’t run a background check on Steven before I read his comments. Was that irresponsible of me? :grinning:

4 Likes

Al,

Did you notice much of a difference when going from the stock power supply on the EE 8Switch to the SGC linear supply? I’m thinking about getting an EE switch to replace the Netgear I’m using right now just prior to the ENO cable and filter that then connects to my Innuos Zen.

A review sets the scene and presents the product to be considered, exactly like an open home. Due diligence, assessing budgets, system matching, and making sure the product does what it says on the can is the responsibility of the buyer. A good share of responsibility rests with people like John Atkinson, Jason Kennedy, Robert Harley, and Paul Miller (all of whom I believe are decent and credible) for having credible reviewers and credible reviews in the publications they oversee.

Why are you planning use an EE8 and an ENO thing? Whatever the ENO does, the EE8 probably does it as well - 8 times.

There is no mystery about what the EE8 does, everyone seems to agree it is a Thunder Data unit and they provide a full specification here:
http://www.thunder-data.com/n8
There are three features: Clocking, filtering and a quality power supply, plus EMI rejection.
There is also a spec sheet here:

The EE8 website provides exactly the same specification and even the same artwork as Thunder Data. There seems no doubt it is the same unit.

It does not come with a stock power supply, it comes with a high quality low noise switch mode unit. Switch mode power supplies have advantages, the main disadvantage of the wall wart type is high frequency noise and the Thunder Data units are designed to significantly reduce high frequency noise (see noise isolation on the spec sheet). So a linear power supply may overall be worse.

A tip from Andrew Everard, this stuff does the EMI isolation very cheaply. I’ve used it on a Cisco switch and under my phono amp that was getting interference.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dodo-Mat-deadening-proofing-vibration/dp/B07NDGC8J4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dodo%2Cmat&qid=1615497600&sr=8-3

Do you have an ENO feature list, pictures of internals etc?

I researched these products because I bought one. For the previous 3 or 4 years I was using a Cisco switch, a lot better than the standard Netgear switch, with added EMI insulation.

I was interested by the Melco S100 as they are a serious technology company who have pioneered routing and wifi and have been around for almost 50 years. It has a fibre output, and I use fibre.

Innuos told me about their PhoenixNET last November, it turned out to be more expensive than I was expecting.

So I went for the EE8 because it’s been around for a few years, is very clear about what it does and is a fairly modest price, and no one has a bad word to say about it. The Melco S100 is still on my radar.

Steven,

Thanks for the additional info.

In answer to your question, yes, I am planning to use the ENO filter and the EE8 together. Both of these units provide some reduction of Ethernet noise, but they are not identical in their functions. From everything I have read and heard, reduction of noise from all sources is critical for optimal sound, and neither the ENO nor the EE8 provide complete reduction of noise. The folks at Network Acoustics recommend using the ENO filter as the last piece of equipment before the server and after a basic network switch. When I first got my Innuos Zen (and your comments about the Zen helped convince me to take the plunge, by the way), Innuos recommended that I terminate my 50-foot run of Cat-6a Ethernet into a network switch and then use a high-quality Ethernet cable from the switch into the Zen. The comparable recommendation from Network Acoustics is to use a high-quality Ethernet cable (which could be the Ag streaming cable they make or any other brand) out of the switch and into the ENO filter and then connect the short built-in cable from the ENO output to the Zen input. I have heard the improvement in smoothness and quietness from adding the ENO filter after my current Netgear switch, so I’m hoping that replacing the Netgear with the EE8 will move those positive effects up another notch. The comments from people on the Audiogon thread I mentioned earlier suggest that the effects of the EE8 and ENO are additive and produce great sound when used together.

I agree completely that the guts of the EE8 (and NuPrime, Silent Angel, etc.) appear to be based on the Thunder Data switches, with only minor changes in the color, case, and a few other things. My sense is that the EE8 (and similar units) is kind of in the mid range of quality (and cost) for audio switches, with basic computer network switches being at the lower end and super switches like the Melco, Paul Pang Quad, and Innuos PhoenixNET being at the upper end.

As I’ve learned more about audiophile switches, I’ve come to understand that the quality of the power supply can greatly affect the quality of the sound produced by a network switch. As I understand it, you’re using the power supply that comes with the EE8 (which is what I meant by “stock”), while Al is using a linear power supply with his EE8. It does appear that using an upgraded power supply can produce better sound in the EE8, but it’s hard to justify spending more on a power supply than on the switch itself, and linear power supplies have limitations on switches - as EE emphasizes. (The YouTube video test of switches and different power supplies by Alpha-Audio is very long but quite interesting, and it includes the EE8 and NuPrime in the listening tests.)

The tip from Andrew Everard is interesting. Are you using those mats under any of your Ethernet components?

No sir, I did not notice a difference when I replaced the wall wart power supply with the SGC for the English Electric 8 Switch.

I did not notice a difference when I replaced the Tenda 16 port switch with the English Electric 8 Switch.

I did not notice a difference when I replaced a $25 ethernet to fiber adapter with the more costly SGC device.

And I did not notice a difference when I replaced the switching power supply with a linear power supply on the EtherREGEN. I talked to the designer of the EtherREGEN and he shared with me his belief that power supplies don’t make an improvement over what he ships them with.

I’m not saying there is no difference, whatever difference there may be is subtle. This is why I have problems with the claims folks have made for the sonic differences they have heard with some very expensive power supplies with the Matrix. I am sad that I don’t believe it. Sad I say.

I don’t mind having all this gear though. I bought it in good faith and I enjoy the process.

6 Likes

I used the Dodomat to line the inside of Cisco switch. It’s self-adhesive, so pretty multi-purpose.

There are so many amplifiers, DACs and the like, and opinions are so subjective, you can drive yourself mad. With digital, I’ve found it a lot easier to go on specifications, and so far I’ve never been disappointed. I’m glad you went for the Zen and are happy with it. It’s a bit of a no-brainer really, especially if you can make use of the ethernet output. I was speaking to them in November as I am considering upgrading mine to a Zenith, which they can do locally in the UK, also presumably in Portugal if you live in the EU.

Jason Kennedy reviews an Ansuz £2,000 switch and compares it to a Cisco 2960. You can pick these up for £100.
https://it-planet.com/en/p/cisco-ws-c2960c-8tc-l-1579.html?number=2049009000.1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oCj77Sp7wIVg8vVCh1eDQZPEAQYASABEgKLOfD_BwE
I used an older version that cost me £50 and some Dodomat.

The Ansuz and Melco both run off mains power and have sophisticated internal power supplies, like the Innuos devices which all use the same linear power supply modules. It is a bit of a mystery what else the Melco does, but it does have FTP sockets.

I also have a 75ft run of CAT6a (AQ Pearl, as I can get it professionally terminated locally) and am not convinced the fibre optic is better.

Seeing the ENO is a passive device, I just don’t see what it can add to what the EE8 does. What is in the box? As it is passive, I can’t imagine it is anything more than a passive filter and you can get those for $50 (or £50).

I suspect that’s what it is. I’m not saying it’s snake oil, it may just be a £50 filter.

What piques me about Network Acoustics is £600 for an ethernet cable. Whether you think it matters or not, even for the leading cable brands that’s absolute top dollar.

Hence, other than keeping Network Acoustics in business, I cannot see why two filters in line are better than one.

I would add that Mr Kelly reviewing the ENO had a Netgear GS105, so even a £50 filter would have been an improvement, and a Cisco a big improvement.

What surprises me is that, given these components are supplied with power supplies appropriate to their price point, people assume it must be upgraded. Could it possibly be the case that the switch was designed to be used with the power supply included in the box? Some people just like to tweak for no good reason.

I’m glad to hear my $25 TPLink adapters are fit for purpose. Thank you for the research.

Steven,

Have you decided to upgrade your Zen to a Zenith? I still think that the Zen is the value leader in the Innuos line-up, but most audiophiles online seem to have either a Zenith or a Statement. I’m hoping to add a PhoenixUSB to my Zen, which should push the streaming sound quality to Zenith level or better. My focus right now on optimizing the Ethernet side of things should prepare my system for a nice PhoenixUSB upgrade. I know you don’t use USB for streaming so this approach wouldn’t fit into your upgrade plans.

Regarding the ENO filter, Rich and Rob at Network Acoustics describe the unit as a passive noise filter that uses hand-wound precision tuned chokes to reduce high-frequency noise (including electrical switching noise and other RF noise). Apparently, it can be difficult to tease out the noise from the Ethernet signal without degrading the signal in any way, but that’s what they say their filter does. My guess is that it’s more sophisticated than the inexpensive filters you mentioned but not at the level of the active Tesla coils used in the higher end Ansuz switches. But that’s just a guess on my part.

I came to the view that the Zen is a happy medium. I now have an 8TB SSD Qnap and I could use it for reserve storage, especially if fed through the EE8 switch. The Zen to Zenith with 1TB SSD is £900. I’m waiting to see the new Innuos operating system first.

I use the usb output in my office system, the ethernet goes downstairs to the main system. Using the Innuos as a Roon streamer saved my having to buy a separate streamer for the office.

If you buy am EE8, I suspect it’s filtering will be as good as the ENO thing. The Ansuz, Melco S100 and PhoenixNET all seem fairly similar in function, the Melco has the best features.

1 Like

I don’t use Roon so I’m really hoping that Innuos 2.0 turns out to be great. Does the Zen to Zenith upgrade focus mainly on more expensive caps and HDD to SSD replacement? I hope the cost of the upgrade won’t be affected by the Innuos price increases on April 1.

I think it’s an extra power supply, SSD and caps.

Innuos 2.0 is a full meat and two veg streamer. Given how good the server side is already, it should make it very attractive. Of course you can use it as a streamer with Roon, but there are things about Roon they don’t like, not least it is very power-hungry and they can optimise their own streamer better.

There’s a blog with quite a lot of detail. It’s not far off at all, maybe a month or two.
https://innuos.com/inn-sights/

It will be interesting to see if you can use the streamer and Roon at the same time.

1 Like

Hans Beekhuyzen made an excellent review regarding ENO and also goes through their experience with ethernet cables and why they make such a bid difference.

And finally “silences” naysayers in the most appropriate way. Just watch it !

4 Likes

Seems he liked Eno better than EtherRegen but did say if your already tricked out your systems improvements are not as noticeable but still worthwhile.

1 Like

So he did and said ENO was more analogue sounding and all round better than ER. But he uses LPS1.2 to power EtherRegen.I know it´s not too good and Farad works much better. He should have used same ethernet cables with both and then test them separately too for best results and to see how much a difference that ENO cat cable made vs. his Audioquest Diamond.
Interesting that ENO is more about taking care of RF/EMI and Etherregen is about MOAT and phase noise.And now it seems that taking care of RF/EMI is a bigger benefit. One would think that both combined would yield to best sound,but he said no.

Time to go shopping again… :joy:

1 Like

Just as a brief update, I continue to be very pleased with the ENO filter and cable in my system. The ENO results in very smooth and natural sound, while not sounding rolled off or dull in any way.

Old thread I know, sorry for asking after all this time: still happy with ENO filter or did you upgrade to Muon Pro?

The Muon Pro filter is one thing, but they also offer a Muon Pro system that includes the filter and their ethernet cable. Together it is still cheaper than one Shunyata Omega RJ45.

I am not sure I can wait until Winter for Al to tell us how great the Muon is. :thinking:

2 Likes