ENO/MUON Ethernet Filters for Streaming Audio

To be honest I was thinking about an insane idea (I read from a few members on WTB forum): just the Muon Pro filter but with the Omega cable!

Have I really said what I said?

2 Likes

Insane? Sounds prefect for an additive audiophile to me. I wish you did not mention that incredible idea to me.

On the other hand, the two heavy dumbells on Omega is probably doing the similar filtering already. Maybe they will cancel each other and make the combo sounding like a $10 cable. :grin:

2 Likes

Make yourself a favor: donā€™t read online comments about that combo!

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

Luca & Donald,
Iā€™m still happy with my Eno ethernet filter from Network Acoustics, but that hasnā€™t stopped me from toying with the idea of upgrading to the Muon Pro. Iā€™m just not sure if the Muon Pro will be enough of an improvement over the Eno to make it worth the additional cost. If I didnā€™t already have the Eno, I would probably have purchased the Muon Pro by now.

At the same time, Iā€™m wondering if there are magical devices from Innuos that should be higher on my wish list. Iā€™ve considered buying the PhoenixNet to replace my EE 8Switch, and Iā€™ve also been thinking that a Pulsar might be a great streaming option that would also allow me to use my Innuos Zen Mk3 as a server. The Innuos Statement sounds great, but itā€™s simply too expensive to add to my wish list.

I canā€™t remember when I last played a record, and I rarely play CDs any more, so optimizing my streaming system continues to be a high priority. But Iā€™m pretty happy with how things are sounding at the moment, so Iā€™m not in a rush to make too many major purchases.

4 Likes

I would think PhoenixNet will be an obvious improvement over Eno, and likely over Muon Pro filter too. I also do not know if Muon Pro can improve much more if you have a PhoenixNet already (like Luca). They are doing the same thing really.

I can heartly recommend my LHY SW-10 switch, it is a great performer considering its price (Ok, it is not exactly cheap, but I believe you need to spend a lot more to get better SQ). It has a great clock too if you want to use it.

The SW-10 has a fiber optic output and that was what interested me. I am connecting it to my Lumin U2 with a fiber optic line without converters, and the SQ is approaching the PST level. The F.O. link supposedly eliminates all digital noise upstream. The bad news is I could still hear a difference from different ethernet cables upstream (a small degree). That was what prompt me to think about Muon Pro filter. But, I had a SoTM ā€œChristmasā€ isolator in the system before, and it didnā€™t do much with the above setup.

So, I am not sure a Muon Filter is the best way to go in my system. Then I am back to a better ethernet cable again.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had good results with a Pink Faun isolator. It makes a difference that is clearly audible with careful listening, although itā€™s not a game-changer or anything like that. And, of course, itā€™s cheap by audiophile standards.

3 Likes

Donald, I donā€™t have any direct experience with the LHY switch, but Iā€™d be surprised if it affects sound quality to the same extent as the PhoenixNet. Iā€™m hoping that Luca can provide more information about how the PhoenixNet performs in his system.

The fiber optic issue is one that I have not explored in my system. Things Iā€™ve read provide mixed reviews of whether FO is really a better option compared to a well-designed wired option. Innuos has tested FO and raised concerns about the noise introduced into a system by converting wire to fiber and then back from fiber to wire again. These conversions are needed even if the switch and/or streamer has their own connectors for FO.

Given your system, I wouldnā€™t automatically rule out the possibility that the Muon Pro could still have positive effects for you. No certainty, of course, but Network Acoustics has a 30-day money-back trial so thereā€™s not a big risk in giving Muon Pro a try.

1 Like

You gotta see the cable the MUON Pro system comes with. Itā€™s not subtle. It embarrasses Stealth Audio Ethernet cables in girth. Itā€™s no Omega, but itā€™s designed by the same fella who designed the MUON Pro.

By the way, I am not a big networking, network cables kind of guy. I keep testing new cables and devices and no matter what, the only thing I hear when a song ends is my bunny shedding hair. The MUON Pro made that seem louder.

4 Likes

You maybe right there, and therefore I want to try a well designed ethernet cable or a Muon Pro system to compare with F.O.

1 Like

magister, Iā€™ve never tried the Pink Faun isolator, but I did try the EMO Systems EN-70HD, which is described as a ā€œhigh-performance plug-in isolatorā€ that can be used for audio, medical equipment, etc. My problem with the EN-70HD was that it produced an overall softening of the sound in my system. It almost sounded rolled off, and it took the ā€œlifeā€ out of the music. In contrast, the Eno ethernet filter filtered out noise and produced a clearer, more dynamic and life-like sound quality - so Iā€™ve kept in the system just prior to my Innuos streamer/server.

2 Likes

Added to my list of ā€œAlā€™s Pearlsā€!

Thanks

1 Like

Some people like numeric indications of sound differences, ie ā€œIt sounds 3.06% better than the Mongo 2i Sonic Scrutinizerā€.

I like to describe differences in a more poetic way.

(By the way, for only $27,359 the Mongo 2i Sonic Scrutinizer is the deal of the century!)
(Sadly, it requires a Platypus to operate it)
(That requires a pond at the very least)
Audio!!

2 Likes

PhoenixNET is in my system since last summer, when I added it the first time was clearly audible the benefit. It brought a sense of realism to sound, smooth and pleasant making playback experience more involving. When I bought the Statement at the of 2022, Innuos highly recommended to keep the PhoenixNET in my chain, they were right once again. Since then I never tested with/without it. It simply stays on my rack and continues to bring me joy.

I just sent an email to Network Acoustics, asking suggestions about the Muon Pro filter in my chain, due to the presence of the PhoenixNET and Pink Faun LAN Isolator. Honestly I donā€™t expect they tell me ā€œdonā€™t buy our product you are already setā€ but, as usual, Iā€™m glad to share here their answer as soon as I receive it. Asked also confirmation about 30 days trial policy.

A very trusted expert like Scott from CAD, that I follow since years, is pretty sure that is hard to do ā€œtoo muchā€ to reduce noise on ethernet path, Iā€™m confident that it is a good premise.

3 Likes

Donā€™t know why but your criteria are more comprehensive to me! In both cases when something is good or bad in your evaluation.

1 Like

Al, Iā€™m pretty sure my system needs a Sonic Scrutinizer. I can always sell my car to fund it. I wonder if I could use some other exotic animal instead of a platypus. Whoā€™s your Mongo dealer?

1 Like

Maybe you just need the Central Scrutinizerā€¦

5 Likes

Zappa

1 Like

Interestingly, I sent my question to Network Acoustics on Muon Pro System vs. my fiber optic link between Lumin U2 and LHY SW-10 switch. They believe the Muon should provide more benefit.

4 Likes

You got me into trouble, and I may have to find out if fiber optic link is the best in my Lumin U2/LHY SW-10 link. Both companies promote to use FO link because they think it is superior. Maybe they design these gears differently.

I may have to try the best ethernet cable such as a Shunyata Omega RJ45 to compare with my ā€œaudiophileā€ $250 fiber optic setup, at a considerable higher cost of course. :thinking:

I have a Omega USB already, with two in the chain I hope the combo will beat FO. On the other hand, do I want to spend on a cable costing an AirLens plus a A6?

3 Likes