ENO/MUON Ethernet Filters for Streaming Audio

Except with the MUON Pro System of course. I am using the included MUON cable.

2 Likes

vsrrr,

You might want to send an email to Network Acoustics. Rich or Rob typically respond quickly to questions.

Did that. They responded on Sunday, this past labor day weekend. They are wonderful to deal with. I am a fan.

With my network issues solved the MUON Pro shines bright!

9 Likes

@dchang05

My SW6 arrived. I put it infront of my SW8, so my current streaming network chain:

Roon Server on an Synology NAS—>(multimode finisar)—>10GB Unifi Aggregation switch—>(single mode finisar 10gb)—> Microtek 10gb switch with ifi elite power supply + a decent power cord—>(single mode finisar 1gb)—>SW6 sfp port---->(isolated ethernet port)---->SW8---->streamer. Ether cables if used are AQ cinamon.

Right off the bat, I’m hear positive differences, but given the ocxc in the unit, I’ll let the sw6 settle for another 48hrs.

I have a feeling the SW6 is a winner. Also it weighs more than a couple bricks, very solidy build.

3 Likes

Pleased with mine. Give it a good week to settle in. Mine, SW8, was gently used and thus broken in for the most part. Its addition has taken my mind off adding the Phoenix Net.

4 Likes

So, the 2nd switch improves the sound more. That’s good to know. I will probably add a SW-6 in front of SW-10 later. But first I need to compare Omega ethernet against fiber optic.

I sent out DS Mk2 to JR yesterday to do the transformer upgrade. Luckily I have a B&W Formation backup. Still, I missed my main system already. Hopefully I’ll get it back soon.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say improve, it’s more a tilt towards one way or the other. The only minor improvement I can say for sure is more resolution in lower mids, and upper bass.

2 Likes

In my system it could help more because I can use fiber optic direct link from both to isolate noise. Both switches have BNC connection for clock sync too. In addition, it has an isolated ethernet input that SW-10 does not.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes (and curiosity too).

1 Like

The isolated port is definitly doing something. I’m hearing the “space” more, this is even true when I’m just sitting in my office desk that’s opposite side of the house. If I didn’t know, I’d thought I had a lot bigger living room lol.

If someone told me a year ago stacking good quality network switches would do this, I’d roll my eyes. who KNEW?!

2 Likes

Are you still in love with SW-6? Did it need some break in time?

Donald,

It’s still in front of my SW8, The breakin is only about 48hrs if that. haven’t triedto take the SW8 out of the chain and just use SW6 yet. That’s on my to try list for the next couple weeks, but I just ordered some supposely awsome ox chips to go with my streamer, so the SW6 swap will happen after I’ve experimented with the new clocks. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Ox chips for snack? Sounds tasty. :grin:

Interesting to know how SW-6 will sound by itself. Let me know if you like it better w/o SW-8.

Rolling tubes of the digital world I suppose

3 Likes

Very interesting! It’s too complicated for me if I have to replace a part inside :roll_eyes:

Just took the SW6 out of the chain this morning, the difference is immediate.

It’s not only the music itself becomes looser, the biggest difference is the sense of space. With the SW6 infront of SW8, the space is a coherent whole. without it, the stage becomes loose and jaggy and full of spots that’s sounds like a hole in the space that’s less natural, only way I can put it. This doesn’t take careful listen, it’s very obvious and I can hear it right away.

If you still have the SW8, you might want to put that in front of your SW10 and see what you hear.

1 Like

“the space is a coherent whole”

I understand exactly what you are saying as
I experienced the same thing when I finally got my Ethernet chain optimized. I think what you described is one of the ways to tell that you’ve ‘got it right’!

1 Like

Thanks! I do not have SW-8 anymore, But I am contemplating to get a SW-6 in future. That way I can use both fiber optic link and sync clocks with both switches.

1 Like

Luca, I hope you can help me with a compatibility issue relating to the PhoenixNet and Network Acoustics ethernet filters. As you may remember, I mentioned in the second “Upgrade” thread that I had decided to order a PhoenixNet switch to work with my Innuos Zen Mk3 server and PhoenixUSB reclocker. Well, the PNET arrived a couple of days ago, and I’m just starting to figure out how best to fit it into my streaming system.

My streaming path before the arrival of the PNET was Netgear modem > (Blue Jeans 1m 6a ethernet cable) > Netgear Router > (15m 6a ethernet) > English Electric 8Switch > (Eno streaming ethernet cable) > Eno ethernet filter > (short fixed Eno ethernet cable) > Zen Mk3 server/streamer > (Shunyata Alpha USB) > PhoenixUSB > (Eno USB III) > DS Dac Mk2.

When I first replaced the EE 8Switch with the PNET switch, I had trouble getting the Sense app to find the Zen server on my network. After rebooting the modem, router, and Zen, I finally got Sense to recognize the Zen. For a new PNET without much break-in, the initial sound was excellent - very relaxed, 3-dimensional, and natural. However, the Sense app was less stable than I was used to, and it would often lose connection with the Zen and then have difficulty reconnecting with it.

I emailed both Network Acoustics and Innuos to see what might be causing my problems. Innuos wasn’t sure what was going on, but Rich at NA thought he knew what the problem was. He said that “the filtering action inside the Eno does slightly attenuate the amplitude of the analogue signal that carries the Ethernet data. This is an effect of filtering out the RFI. The reduced level of the signal seems to be the problem here. On rare occasions internal tolerances of components in switches/streamers/servers give rise to the issue you have. We have many customers using PhoenixNet with Zen with no problem. It seems your PhoenixNet has a weaker output than the EE 8switch.” I don’t think that Innuos would consider my Zen to be defective, but it certainly exhibits some incompatibility with the original Eno filter. With the Eno filter removed from the system, the PNET and the Zen server have been functioning normally.

Rich mentioned that the new Network Acoustics switch, called “Tempus,” would be on the NA website next week and start shipping in early November. Not surprisingly, the Tempus would work optimally with the NA ethernet filters, and Rich reported that it would outperform the PNET. He also noted that the new ENO2 filter (due out in a few months) should work with the PNET because it does not attenuate the signal as much. When I asked him about using the 1Gb/sec Muon Pro with the PNET, he said that they will work together although the Muon Pro works best with a 1Gb/sec switch. He also mentioned that the ENO2 will be a 1Gb/sec capable filter.

At this point, I don’t know whether to consider getting a Tempus switch to replace my brand-new PNET, waiting for the release of the ENO2 filter, or even considering a Waversa EXT-2 as an option. I asked Rich about the EXT-2, and he said that it sounded dull and muffled compared to the ENO2. I hope you can give us some additional feedback on that comparison as a beta tester for the ENO2.

Any insights or suggestions regarding the PNET and the Network Acoustics gear would be greatly appreciated. I like the sound of the PNET and the original Eno filter together, but this configuration appears to create too many operational problems to make this a practical option for me.

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for your message, having had a few emails with Rob of NA, I confirm the coming launch of their switch (soon) and their new ENO2 filter and cable (later on 1Q 2024, not so soon) that I should receive as beta tester early in 2024.

As for the PhoenixNET, I simply love it and I often recommended it during last months. In my system it works flawlessly, using Sense App since 1 year or more I’m used to occasionally disconnections even without a filter in the path: IME it can happen when my controller (iPad) goes in stand by mode after a few minutes, or I’m using another app during playback sessions. It doesn’t bore me because my habits are related to play only entire albums, it means that I always click play and until the end of the entire album I don’t use Sense App anymore (using iPad just for internet - chatting on this forum for instance). Each time I simply re-click on the name of the server and I’m back at the album I was listening to. Important: during these occasionally disconnections of the app, the music always flows continuously without any interruptions, that is the reason why it’s not a problem for me. It means that the disconnection only occurs on the iPad screen, it’s not an audio issue it’s more a software issue. If I need to change the song or album or searching on Qobuz via Sense App during the music playback, before the iPad goes on stand by mode, I have never had disconnection issues. In my opinion is more a software issue of the app, a sort of “instability” of the app so to speak.
Another factor could be the presence of separate Modem and Router upstream, I’m not an expert but my set up is simple: I have only a single device, FritzBox router, with a dedicated fiber line input from the external internet provider, exclusively used for my music room, and the only router output that I use is a 100 Mb/s port, dedicated to digital rig.
Have you tried in Sense System Setting enabling Keep Scrren Always On?

My guess is that this issue could be mitigated by the PhoenixNET vs a different switch, because doing so you are running the Sense App into an Innuos environment in general. You had the proof of it, if I understand well, in this configuration:

Netgear Router > PhoenixNET > Zen Mk3 > PhoenixUSB > DS DAC MK2 (without any filter and without any other switches)

MKII has a really improved USB input, I had the MK II but actually I’m using a different DAC and a MSB USB Pro external module, with fiber wire, so it’s a different approach. I’m pretty sure the PhoenixUSB is doing well its job in your system. I’m using the Muon2 USB cable.

Having said that, my opinion is that both a switch (PNET) and a filter (Waversa and/or NA) can improve the sound quality, acting together. Sorry Vince this time “Less is NOT More!” They do different works cleaning the signal, this is also the opinion of Rob from NA. I’m following this set up and I’m very happy with it:

Router > PNET > Muon Pro or Waversa > Statement > MSB DAC (using my best cables)

Sorry I have no experience with the ENO system in particular but I can confirm you that the Muon Pro filter sounds really nice and without issues compared to my previous system network configuration without it.

Next days I’ll do an experiment, removing the PNET from the path in order to confirm you what the single Muon Pro filter can do by itself and consequently how the PNET is really crucial, at least my system.

My plan, at the end of the day, is to use the PNET and I need just to find out if I like more the Waversa EXT-2 or the Muon Pro passive filter (or if they could be used also together: one upstream close to the router and the other downstream close to the streamer). Let me a week or so to do my homeworks.

Sonically speaking, meanwhile, I suggest you to keep the set up:

Netgear Router > PhoenixNET > ENO Filter (short cable close to the streamer) > Zen Mk3 > PhoenixUSB > DS DAC MK II and experimenting with different ethernet cables before and after the PNET switch. If the disconnecting issue is not a so unacceptable problem for you during your usual listening sessions.

For instance I was using also a Pink Faun LAN isolator (it means 2 passive filters together after the switch and before the Statement) and actually I removed it, because the sound is better to my ears. IMO this is due to the Pink Faun ethernet cable that I really love. The other ethernet cable(s) I’m using are Sablon.
To complete my network journey, later I’ll test also the Stealth Ultra cable and the Muon Pro cable.

Right out of the box I’m liking the Muon Pro filter (same cables as before to get a fair comparison) because of its ability to bring life to voices and the openness and naturalness of the musical representation, on the other hand the Waversa EXT-2 brings a lot more of body and 3D holographic image. Which one I’d keep if I had to decide today after only a brief critical listening? The Muon Pro! Without any doubt.

Last but not least: I found useful also the Purple fuse into both the Statement and the PhoenixNET to fine tune the sound.

Let me know after your experiments.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Luca, you’re saying even with the 100mb limitation from PhoenixNET, you still prefer Muon Pro in the chain, right?

Your comment on the passive filter will work with the switch, but two passive filters may not work together makes sense. When I first got the Omega USB with two filters built-in, I had to remove the SoTM Cat7 filter from the chain because it didn’t help the SQ. So that’s another example of two passive filters did not like each other (even though one is used before the streamer, one is after the streamer).

So, the Muon Pro could have issue working with Omega too. Does Rob offer demo on Muon Pro? Looks like yours is a new one, not a demo.

3 Likes