Final version firmware released: 1.94 December 9, 2016, Now Interim 2.08 March 9, 2018

Looks like version 1.94 has worked well enough to be released. I hope you’ll enjoy its changes and improvements as much as I have. I believe this should be the final version we start shipping products with.

I’ll be shutting down the Beta Bugs list forum today. We’ll leave the review forum up and this one. Please use this forum as a fresh start. Let’s focus on any problems you might still have that we did not catch. Let’s leave features and functions we might want for the future out of the discussion for now.

We want to make sure this release is solid enough to begin shipping. I believe it to be.

Let us know, and again, thanks! You can download version 1.94 by clicking here. You know the drill already.

Thanks again for ALL the hard work. Betas always have issues and tweaks, which is why we do them, but this has been particularly trying. But the results are well worth it! Thanks again for your dedication, hard work and contributions to making DMP the greatest disc player yet made.

Thanks, Paul.

We should retain our DISC_DATA folders, correct? Or does that automatically repopulate?

Paul, is there a list of issues addressed in this update?

Paul McGowan said Let's focus on any problems you might still have that we did not catch. Let's leave features and functions we might want for the future out of the discussion for now.
I understand completely why you want to do this and I will respect your wishes in this thread. I do have a couple of items that I have not posted about -- I didn't expect them to be addressed immediately since they aren't actual bugs. I will go through 1.94 very thoroughly this weekend and may find more such. This is the time when I am thinking carefully about how the DMP works and I don't want to lose sight of these things completely. Others may be in the same situation.

What would you like us to do? Email you individually or start a separate thread? We could wait until after the New Year just to let you get the DMP out the door and enjoy the holidays!

Hi Paul,

To me still (even after 1.94) the big issue is that I’m not able to smoothly switch between DMP and Bridge. Every time I play DMP and go back to Bridge, I need to reboot DS.

This is a big issue to me and I feel many of the DS owners who use (or plan to use) both DMP and Bridge may like to get this issue fixed at earliest.

To me rest of the operational issue are surely nice to have. Not many people using DVD-A or BD disks etc. But Bridge is probably cherishedly used by many DS owners.

Regards,

Sourav

Sourav Mazumder said
Paul McGowan said Looks like version 1.94 has worked well enough to be released. I hope you'll enjoy its changes and improvements as much as I have. I believe this should be the final version we start shipping products with.

I’ll be shutting down the Beta Bugs list forum today. We’ll leave the review forum up and this one. Please use this forum as a fresh start. Let’s focus on any problems you might still have that we did not catch. Let’s leave features and functions we might want for the future out of the discussion for now.

We want to make sure this release is solid enough to begin shipping. I believe it to be.

Let us know, and again, thanks! You can download version 1.94 by clicking here. You know the drill already.

Thanks again for ALL the hard work. Betas always have issues and tweaks, which is why we do them, but this has been particularly trying. But the results are well worth it! Thanks again for your dedication, hard work and contributions to making DMP the greatest disc player yet made.

Hi Paul,

To me still (even after 1.94) the big issue is that I’m not able to smoothly switch between DMP and Bridge. Every time I play DMP and go back to Bridge, I need to reboot DS.

This is a big issue to me and I feel many of the DS owners who use (or plan to use) both DMP and Bridge may like to get this issue fixed at earliest.

To me rest of the operational issue are surely nice to have. Not many people using DVD-A or BD disks etc. But Bridge is probably cherishedly used by many DS owners.

Regards,

Sourav

Try as we might we cannot reproduce your issue and I don’t know anyone else that has it. Perhaps we should get your pair back here. Would you be willing?

magister said
Paul McGowan said Let's focus on any problems you might still have that we did not catch. Let's leave features and functions we might want for the future out of the discussion for now.

I understand completely why you want to do this and I will respect your wishes in this thread. I do have a couple of items that I have not posted about – I didn’t expect them to be addressed immediately since they aren’t actual bugs. I will go through 1.94 very thoroughly this weekend and may find more such. This is the time when I am thinking carefully about how the DMP works and I don’t want to lose sight of these things completely. Others may be in the same situation.

What would you like us to do? Email you individually or start a separate thread? We could wait until after the New Year just to let you get the DMP out the door and enjoy the holidays!

Sure. Email me directly and let’s get any issues sorted out.

Paul McGowan said

Try as we might we cannot reproduce your issue and I don’t know anyone else that has it. Perhaps we should get your pair back here. Would you be willing?

Hi Paul,

Dennis is able to reproduce the issue. I would send you a note offline regarding this as looks like others are not facing this issue.

Regards,

Sourav

Installed firmware version 1.94, then put the DMP through about an hour of paces. Sorry, but I am still seeing anomalous behavior and lags in response time of the display/touchscreen. I have mentioned most of these previously. And one issue is new.

First of all, while today’s firmware update has vastly improved touchscreen responsiveness (i.e., most taps to it are now finally registering), I can still run through a particular maneuver where all taps do not register. And it seems to be related to how quickly they are performed in rapid succession. For instance, when trying to rapidly get to a particular track and using the arrowed positions on either side of the play-progress bar to get there, rapid taps past about the fifth or sixth ones just don’t get through. If I were to slow-down my tapping – or if I only tapped the arrowed positions a couple of times – the DMP would be able to keep up. Otherwise it just bogs down, with no registering at all of inputs past the initial few. From my perspective, the performance of the DMP’s touchscreen still lags that of the PWT.

The DMP also still lags the PWT on the display-end of things. One behavior that it has had since the get-go that could mislead me into thinking I had reliably navigated to a particular track when I actually had not still remains. That is – after a fast migration through many tracks (in either direction) – the track number that first reads-out on the DMP’s screen does not necessarily match the one that starts playing. And as many as 3 seconds can elapse before the correct one finally displays.

On the other hand, when selecting a desired track from the track-listing screen (instead of activating fast-forward or fast-backward jumps from the remote or touchscreen), one always ends up with the correct track. But, perversely in this case, the track titles can vary from-visit-to-visit in the track-listing, and from the very same disc. Or it might take the main screen several blinks of other track titles before it finally displays the correct one. This afternoon I personally witnessed 3 different titles appear in rapid succession before the right one finally showed, up to 2 or 3 seconds after the track had already started playing. And in the track-listing for that disc, I have seen track #14 labeled variously with titles from several other track numbers – i.e., not always reading the same, subsequently, when I returned to the track-listing screen.

Another quirk that still remains is when fast-reversing within a given track, then initiating “play”, the scrubber on the play-point-progress bar continues to move backward for another second or two, even though music is by-then then playing.

Then there’s a brand new anomaly. When fast-forwarding or fast-reversing within a given track via the remote, sometimes one of the arrowed positions on each end of the progress bar will continue to indicate that the action persists, despite its termination from the remote and normal playback being well underway. The photo below shows what I am talking about. It was taken while the DMP was in normal playback of a track from a new play-point after a quintuple-speed fast-backward. Note how “x5” still appears to the right of the “<<” icon above the track bar:

DSC07983.jpg

When the integer-multiple of fast intra-track navigation appears like this despite initiation of play, it does not disappear when clicking the unit “on”, then “out-of” standby. And if I eject the disc, then insert it again, the same integer-multiple reappears again on the play screen. What does seem to remove it is re-clicking the same direction of intra-track navigation arrow on the remote, then hitting play again.

And finally, a note about something commented upon previously. Track titles and artist names are still truncated both on the main and track-listing screens if they are longer than so-many characters. Has it been decided that there will be no remedy for that? Thankfully, though, track numbers are back again on both screens.

Sourav Mazumder said
Paul McGowan said
Sourav Mazumder said

Hi Paul,

Dennis is able to reproduce the issue. I would send you a note offline regarding this as looks like others are not facing this issue.

Regards,

Sourav

There are two separate issues with the Bridge you have reported. One, which Dennis reproduces, requires the reboot of the DS when switching back and forth. This has nothing to do with DMP. Dennis has told me this is a Bridge issue, nothing to do with DMP.

Secondly, you have reported some strange noises when switching between the two and this we cannot reproduce. Apparently it’s an issue exclusive to your setup.

The best thing to do is let us have your two units back and we’ll figure out what’s going on and whip them right back to you.

Rob said Installed firmware version 1.94, then put the DMP through about an hour of paces. Sorry, but I am still seeing anomalous behavior and lags in response time of the display/touchscreen. I have mentioned most of these previously. And one issue is new.

First of all, while today’s firmware update has vastly improved touchscreen responsiveness (i.e., most taps to it are now finally registering), I can still run through a particular maneuver where all taps do not register. And it seems to be related to how quickly they are performed in rapid succession. For instance, when trying to rapidly get to a particular track and using the arrowed positions on either side of the play-progress bar to get there, rapid taps past about the fifth or sixth one just don’t get through. If I were to slow-down my tapping – or if I only tapped the arrowed positions a couple of times – the DMP would be able to keep up. Otherwise it just bogs down, with no registering at all of inputs past the initial few. Unfortunately, from my perspective, the performance of the DMP’s touchscreen still lags that of the PWT.

The DMP also still lags the PWT on the display end of things. One behavior that could mislead me into thinking I had navigated to a particular track when I actually had not still remains. That is, after a fast migration through many tracks (in either direction), the track number that first reads-out on the DMP’s screen does not necessarily match the one that starts playing. And as many as 3 seconds can elapse before the correct one finally displays.

And finally, a note about something commented upon previously. Track titles and artist names are still truncated both on the main and track-listing screens if they are longer than so-many characters. Has it been decided that there will be no remedy for that? Thankfully, though, track numbers are back again on both screens.
DMP will always be slower than PWT and there's nothing we can do about that. Secondly, the truncating issue is unlikely to go away. Oppo only feeds us so much data and we display it all. I know, it's a bit maddening to see Shine on you craz... when only one more letter would at least finish the damn word. I am with you.

The problem on slowness relative to the PWT. What we have to do on DMP relative to PWT is very, very different. It is necessary when you insert a disc for the machine to actually read the contents in the header and then play a short portion of track one - all before we gather enough info to display it on the screen. This is what takes so long. We mute all that’s happening and when you insert a disc it just looks like it’s being slow. It isn’t. It’s just busier than hell getting data to know what kind of disc it is and what to do with it.

Paul McGowan said

There are two separate issues with the Bridge you have reported. One, which Dennis reproduces, requires the reboot of the DS when switching back and forth. This has nothing to do with DMP. Dennis has told me this is a Bridge issue, nothing to do with DMP.
Secondly, you have reported some strange noises when switching between the two and this we cannot reproduce. Apparently it’s an issue exclusive to your setup.

The best thing to do is let us have your two units back and we’ll figure out what’s going on and whip them right back to you.

Hi Paul,

The second issue is no longer there. I’m sorry if I have not updated that. With one of the last few firmwares it got resolved.

The first issues is the one what I’m referring here. And yes Dennis also informed me that it is Bridge issue, not a DMP’s issue.

And that’s what makes me more nervous as now I’m not sure what is the timeline for that got resolved and whether it can be resolved at all. Like the problem with update of album art in Roon’s playlist through Bridge.

The situation with me now is like this. Without DMP I’m absolutely happy with Bridge and DS with a very stable behavior ofmy system. But as I introduce DMP to that mix my Bridge+DS solution is completely instable - needing reboot every now and then.

I can surely send back both the units to you guys. However, at your end to reproduce this issue you also need to use JRiver running on MacMini. Alternatively I can also help executing any debugging/investiagation related steps if you guys want to send any special version of firmware (like we did for Roon testing). Would be happy to help you whatever works better.

Regards,

Sourav

Forgive. Another niggle that is new; and an old one that hasn’t gone away.

The new one is an occasional, one-time stutter of a new play-point which one has just navigated-to within a given track. When getting there via the touchscreen, then hitting play, music will indeed play for about second, stop momentarily, then replay from the same beginning, only without stopping. As best as I can tell (with no more than an hour-or-so of experience with the new firmware), it seems to be happening about 50% of the time.

The old one that hasn’t gone away is that I am still experiencing up to 15 seconds (I would say), after coming back from standby or loading a disc, when the hitting the play button or navigating to a new track doesn’t always result in any action by the DMP.

Paul’s explanation for the the DMP’s sluggishness makes sense. It doesn’t help me like it any better, however. And it doesn’t explain behaviors that are new as of the 1.94 update.

Paul McGowan said Secondly, the truncating issue is unlikely to go away. Oppo only feeds us so much data and we display it all.
Nutty. I would like to hear from Oppo what they are thinking.
Paul Simon's "Songwriter" CD is showing on the DMP - albeit with wrong track listing - but nothing showing on Playlist. Other annotated discs that are in my Playlist are not recognized as being played but show up correctly on the DMP.

Another bug noted in the new firmware that seems to still be present - the small but notable pop/transient zap that appears when hitting play to start the first track of a SACD after it loads. This has happened on Ella’s Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie, Allison Krauss’s A Collection, and Getz/Gilberto w/ Jobim.

JM said Another bug noted in the new firmware that seems to still be present - the small but notable pop/transient zap that appears when hitting play to start the first track of a SACD after it loads. This has happened on Ella's Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie, Allison Krauss's A Collection, and Getz/Gilberto w/ Jobim.
I hear this on occasion, too. But it is limited only to some recordings. Moreover, it happens on my PWT, too, for identical recordings and tracks.
Rob said
JM said Another bug noted in the new firmware that seems to still be present - the small but notable pop/transient zap that appears when hitting play to start the first track of a SACD after it loads. This has happened on Ella's Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie, Allison Krauss's A Collection, and Getz/Gilberto w/ Jobim.

I hear this on occasion, too. But it is limited only to some recordings. Moreover, it happens on my PWT, too, for identical recordings and tracks.

Something to address, either way.

I have taken photos this morning of the erratic track-title-listing behavior that I mentioned yesterday. Of note, I still do not have the DMP connected to the Internet, so all track titles (when available) are being read off discs by the DMP.

The recording in the photos is from a Redbook CD that has 16 tracks. And the correct titles for the last 4 tracks follow:

13. Menuet sur le nom d'Haydn

14. Prelude (1913)

15. Piano Sonata No. 5, Op.53

16. La valse

Below are images from the track-listing screen of the DMP from several different visits over a period of less than 2 minutes and during which I had directed the DMP to play a different track from before. Please note how the DMP confuses the track titles differently on each visit:

DSC07985.jpgDSC07986.jpgDSC07987.jpgDSC07989.jpg

Furthermore, when I would tap one of the selections from the track-listings screen to begin playing it (and the display then changes to the active-track playing screen), the title that first appears will not necessarily have the correct number (or title text) of what has actually started playing. Below is an image of what first showed when from the last track-listing screen above I tapped Track No. 16:

DSC07988.jpg

Note that it gets the title correct here but not the right track number to go with it (which should be “16”). In other instances the DMP can first display the track number correctly but not the title. Within a few seconds, however – sometimes blinking several different tries in rapid succession – it will finally arrive at the correct track title and number.

Elk said
Paul McGowan said Secondly, the truncating issue is unlikely to go away. Oppo only feeds us so much data and we display it all.

Nutty. I would like to hear from Oppo what they are thinking.

The truncating issue is sad. I hope there is a future fix for it.