Florida International Audio Expo reports

I truly never heard them (various models up to the biggest) different at shows, also in Germany from MBL headquarter staff. Still keen to hear them better some time, maybe at a good dealer. It seems to me the mid/highs energy by the omni radiation as well as the low end are hard to tame and control in a room.

Yes, I’ve heard the Extremes. They are quite something else. :smile:

1 Like

MC Audiotech

They are no longer selling direct, but are in the process of establishing a dealer network. As part of that, they are introducing this new model that is a bit more “friendly to a larger customer group” than the clamshell shaped model (which they are still producing). This new model sounds great. Whatever these guys are doing, they know how to do it.

3 Likes

Check out the LCH Audio room on the 9th floor if you’re interested in subwoofers. Their subs are not internally powered and have unique crossover and cabinet design. Their system was painfully bright for my tastes but the subwoofers were well integrated and had very clean, crisp reproduction. Borresen is showing smaller speakers in three smaller room this year as compared to the big room downstairs at last years show. My wife and I were very impressed with their M1 and Z1 Cryo speakers.

Yep, I was in the LCH room. Kind of had the same impression. A good concept but poor overall execution given how painfully bright the rest of the sound was. Haven’t hit the Borresen rooms yet.

M-101 Cables

These folks make all kinds of cables. When I was there they demoed their Ethernet cable against some generic. Yes, their cable produced a more musical, more detailed, yet not aggressive improvement. Frankly with the supporting gear I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the Paradigms sound better.

Hey, look. I’m here, @Photon46 is here, @RonP is here, @akro will be here just for today. Is there no way we can all touch base to say hello in person?

2 Likes

On the road, will call

Tony. I gave you my phone number. I can’t find yours.

1 Like

We were only there for opening day.

MoFi SourcePoint 10

Another WTF! moment. For $3700 these speakers were probably the best value speaker I’ve heard in many a year. Beautifully musical, great placement, great (and articulate) low end. Going to listen to them again tomorrow. Being run with a HiFi Rose all in one (also $3700). I’ve heard plenty of systems for even twice that price that are miserable compared to this.

9 Likes

They were wonderful. I listened three times. I probably will listen three more times.
If these are flat and dull, I wouldn’t want more detail. They sound highly resolving and lively to me. Maybe it’s because I trimmed my ear hairs before I came.

6 Likes

I agree, Tony. They are amazing speakers, especially that they were driven by a midfi, one-box front end. The bang-for-the-buck best in show, in my opinion. Andrew Jones really knows what he’s doing. And what a pleasant personality.

4 Likes

Did you happen to hear Andrew demo them at a lower volume? I ask because when I was listening to them someone else asked him to play something at a lower level. He chose John Mayer’s “Gravity.” My wife and I thought the speakers rather lost their charm at lower levels and changed character to a great degree. Rather flat, lifeless, and grey in comparison to how they sounded at “show db levels.” Most speakers display that trait to some degree but those seemed more susceptible than most (at least on that track.) I would liked to have had the option to hear them with a better front end and amplification and source. That said, I agree that system was leading contender for best sound for the money.

Only needed two hours at the show, my first-ever audio show. (although I was well steeped in audio during what folks call the ‘vinyl’ days, long before digits

Met with @tony22 and wife as I signed in. Nice intro.

Virtually all the rooms were small with small systems. My two favorite rooms were Suncoast Audio (the Clarisys Auditorium speakers were mighty and gave what I most enjoy, vertical stage/height of sound; I was probably biased because one of my aerobatics students from 30 years ago was performing). MBL was the other room, my first meeting with their speakers, although not the Extreme biggies. Nice, playing Santana, though not as good as the Clarisys playing Pink Floyd.

My primary objective was accomplished, speaking with Koetsu distributor, who among others, was blown away with what I was carrying, my vintage Koetsu Onyx, sn #1. “That’s the long body,” they all said. And made by Sugano-san, senior, himself. Alas, it needs the $5,000 refurbish (cantilever suspension is shot).

Also, appreciated the discussion with the two Aurender reps, knowledgeable. They explained why some DACs producing popping sound going from one resolution to another. And, they said something else quite correct: the difference between USB and IIS is more a matter of taste rather than absolutes.

Headphones were plenty, and the only real opportunity to A-B equipment. Didn’t do.

My $25 spectator fee was worth it.

3 Likes

Well, it depends on what you consider lower levels.
I often measure what I’m listening to and the Mofis were averaging in the mid 80’s, which I never reach at home.

I’m going down there again in a bit. I’ll ask Andrew if he could play something at a lower volume.

I listened to all three Borresen rooms. I liked the M1’s the best, but honestly I really don’t think any of them “sound like music”. They’re technically perfect, check all the boxes, yet draw no emotional interest out of me. Don’t ask me why. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think you nailed it on the Borresens, Tony. I found them “lab-grade” proficient but cold.

1 Like

It really does pay to listen several times as you audition a new Thing in your system.
Today, I listened again to my show favorites, the MBLs and I found myself missing the lower mid/ upper bass definition that I enjoy with my Wilsons.
It was with every track, streamed or reel to reel.
I have no idea what link in the long chain to the speakers or the speakers themselves that was holding that information back. But I felt it. It might not be the speakers at all.

1 Like