Forum members' careers

As long as I’m not at the sharp point of their stick, I’ve found their legal bombast hysterical at times.

1 Like

When there are no readily available new bikes (particularly of the “meat and potato” $500-1500 variety), then its a seller’s market for those with well maintained used bikes @weedeewop.

1 Like

Another cyclist here… between myself and my wife we have about 20 bikes. Road bikes, Tri bikes, gravel bike, a couple of MTB’s

1 Like

Here’s something I guess they don’t teach in school. Don’t build nuclear power plants along major fault lines.

Computer scientist with degrees in computer science and electrical engineering. Been working for 30 years in the very specialized field of electronic design automation. The software is used by all high performance semiconductor companies to design their chips—Intel, Apple, Samsung, Google, on and on etc.

Basically the brains of every computer, phone, servers powering the cloud, SpaceX and the billionaires’ space planes.

2 Likes

Mentor?

I think that where there are so many engineers, it is necessary to write much more carefully from now on.

5 Likes

Born ’51, studied computing, joined 200 strong successful UK systems house in 1973 (my only employer until I retired in 2003). Programming mainly in minicomputer assembler (typically DEC or DG, or high level such as Fortran, Algol). Worked on many systems over thirty years. Computing was fun in the early days. Most useful project was 2.5 years on the EMI CAT Bodyscanner. Another system that used DG minis processed lots of interrupts but would fail after a few hours, went to Data General’s office and looked at the assembler code of the OS – the programmer had enabled interrupts one instruction too early. I was a workaholic. Worked on word processing and later on ATM/POS card acquisition/authorisation. I was always on the technical side typically running small but complex projects. Was born into hifi and like transmission line speakers run actively. Built a large room (by UK standards) to house a unique active system. Also love cars and am on my third live-in girlfriend, no kids.

4 Likes

I’ve repaired many DG’s CPU boards.

2 Likes

One of the projects was a typesetting VDU input system running on a 112k DEC PDP11 (a large machine at the time). We had two intermittent problems. The first was a cracked optical grating on a disc drive (one of those the size of a fridge with 30mb in it on two 15mb platters). The second was much more difficult - luckily an engineer spotted an earth lead flapping around and occasionally hitting the side of the cabinet. Those were great days, when a software guy could understand what every instruction did and every feature of the OS.

4 Likes

It was a fun time for me using a Logic Analyzer, chasing 1’s and 0’s around with the micro code .

2 Likes

@vkennedy61 no. Synopsys since early 90s, mixed signal startup in the late 90s, back to Synopsys in the 2000s, took a break from the rat race for a few and now at a startup for last few. All in the SF Bay Area.

In my area of expertise (logic verification) Mentor is pretty much non existent. We at Synopsys ate their lunch during the Great Recession.

2 Likes

“high level such as Fortran”

Love it! First language I learned, haha

5 Likes

I don’t have the computer or engineering background that many of you have but I am happily
speeding to retirement as a general contractor on the north side of Chicago. Please, no home
improvement questions, and with the expertise of guys like Cardi, there would be no need.
My audio journey started early and I was listing to my modified Daulquists thru tube ARC via
an LP12 in college. That passion lead to a job at Paul Heath Audio, selling all the latest, ARC,
Levinson, Magnapan, B&W, etc., and getting visits from the company gurus, all madly driven
toward sonic excellence. Later I flipped to the pro side of audio and was national sales manager
for Neotek recording consoles and Panasonic Pro digital and sound reinforcement division.
Pushing products for live and studio use gave me a different perspective from that of the audiophiles’ chair, but the goal remained the same…how can l make it sound even better. This forum is the
embodiment of this quest. All (likable) Bozos on the same Bus.

10 Likes

I see there are cyclists in our tribe and I still do it on a full carbon Kestrel.

4 Likes

I used to bike race in the youth, including a year of racing in Italy. After I stopped racing my time on a bike was mostly commuting. I only have two bikes, my road racing bike from back in the day (Vitus frame with mostly Dura-Ace) which is hooked up to a trainer in my workout room, and a 26-year old Specialized Rockhopper (the commuter bike and occasional mountain bike).

I should probably buy a new bike, but that might mean postponing audio purchases…

7 Likes

It is interesting to see a large percentage of audiophiles have engineering background. Throw one more in here, but mine is a Master degree in Civil Engineering. I have been working in both private sectors and public agencies for 39 years. I have been working on designing underground utilities, streetscapes and building constructions as a project manager in Northern California for the last 10 years. I just recently retired.

The first thing I did was upgraded my 20 years plus audio system to pretty much all PS Audio system now that I have more time to enjoy it.

7 Likes

I’ve been an avid and not-so-avid cyclist all my adult life, though my very brief time racing never took me beyond Citizen’s Class contests in the midwest and once in Georgia. These days just about all of my riding is done on a Catrike, though I still have three two-wheelers in the stable. Here’s a photo of me from a Tour de Cure ride at the IMS about 8 or 10 years ago (I’m among the standing, second from far right).

12 Likes

This strikes me as well, but I don’t know if it is somehow related to Engineers of various sorts being More willing or Able to express themselves online, vs. All Others.

There are no statistics in this regard, AFAIK.

I’ve known and met a lot of intelligent people who read and follow these Forums to one degree or another, but have never had any desire whatsoever to post online. So - we know nothing with regard to the proportion of those willing to post vs. those refraining from posting.

Do the…utterly unavailable math.:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That’s a good point. I probably would not post any if I am still working. Now I have too much time. I know some friends in the business field working long hours; they only turn on their audio gears occasionally.