FR-5 sighting?

Paul’s latest vid has an interesting speaker protype (I think…).

3 Likes

No, I think it’s a birdhouse

4 Likes

Birds living in a PS Audio birdhouse will sing better… :grinning:

Best wishes

1 Like

I wanna see just how Chris gets that woofer into the box!

3 Likes

Sideways? …. Dunno

Honey, I Shrunk the Woofer? :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, Chris showed me that FR5(?) when I was there this week.
And he has a couple of sizes of prototype woofers for the …… possible …… ?

REL Killer? :thinking:

Think TARDIS technology! For those not familiar, it’s a Dr Who reference …

4 Likes

That’s it, the FR5 is bigger on the inside than on the outside. Dimensionally transcendental.

1 Like

…and again…

2 Likes

We have made a couple of woofer samples for R&D in subwoofers. That one on the floor is an 18". Please excuse the mess.

I also designed up a differential (dual coil, dual gap) subwoofer as well. I was considering prototyping this as well and comparing (it would have less suspension travel but improved power compression and flux modulation performance). Others have used this approach (older velodyne, paradigm, JBL WGTi car woofers etc., Rockford T9). However, it wouldn’t be shared technology with our other speakers and, at some point, you need to pick a technical direction and just run with it. I do think that it looks cool though, with the additional rear coil and frame/suspensions.

differential subwoofer

We will get some FR5 pictures up, at some point. I’ll have some off tool samples in a couple of months, along with our custom stands and I’m guessing Paul will probably get a video of them set up in one of the listening rooms.

6 Likes

“…no replacement for displacement.”

18” drivers? Yes please!

Very exciting developments…

Looking forward to following your progress…

2 Likes

Ah yes, servo controlled in a transmission line enclosure. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Isn’t this speaker the FR5? And it’s supposed to cost $1000?

1 Like

I remember these back when, I think they were going to be matched with the Sprout100 and such. They seemed to have disappeared…

1 Like

@scotte1 @Chris_Brunhaver a PS Audio Subwoofer with an 18" driver!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

We are going to make a speaker for our sprout line in the $1000 dollar range (or a little under). Our FR series uses more premium parts and construction and paul has suggested that they will be around $3500 (though a bit lower in the states with our trade-in allowance etc).

11 Likes

Can’t believe no one’s posted about the first complete sighting of the FR5’s on today’s Paul’s Posts! They look sweet Chris! Love my FR10’s though. Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

FR5 pic

2 Likes