FR10 Speaker

My thoughts as well. Should do acoustic jazz ensembles just fine.

3 Likes

And seeing the height of the FR10 should make them easier to get magic out of them, with the tweeters at a good height. The FR20 & FR30 sound just wonderful, and I have a feeling the FR10 will sound fantastic as well.

I would add that a review of the FR20 is pending!

2 Likes

The FR20’s are fantastic!
I was hesitant to pull the trigger on them (big purchase) but so glad I did.

5 Likes

I’m sure they are fantastic and I would love to join you and the others, but “disposing” of my old speakers (Vandersteen 5) and the big financial leap are holding me back so far.

3 Likes

…and then there’s the Kentos. :wink:

Actually, I heard the Kentos at a local dealer last summer and was not impressed, especially given their price ($42k). Richard has been diverging from the sound I like since the 5A Carbon. Not sure what’s going on since he says each new model is more accurate. I like the FR-30 and FR-20, but those were heard at PS Audio and AXPONA respectively so hard to judge. I would save shipping if I could trade my 5s to the local dealer, but it would be for Quattro Wood at best.

2 Likes

I agree about the height of the tweeter. When I first got into high end audio about 40 years ago, one of the important principles of speaker design was the location of the tweeter and mid range should be at ear-level from the listening position. It was argued that
two-way stand mount speakers generally produced good imaging because they could more easily be placed in this way.

3 Likes

Just published yesterday: a wonderful presentation by Chris. Very insightful, as always. Highly recommended!

9 Likes

Great video but just waiting for the youtube replies “I can make a speaker just as good with an Ikea shipping box, a few sheets of tin foil and some duct tape!”

2 Likes

So true!

1 Like

He’s got an amazing way of communicating really complex stuff, which is really hard when you’re a techy, takes a special kind of person not to just naturally talk too complicated and make no sense.

2 Likes

Indeed, and react very responsive to random questions from the audience as well!

1 Like

It’s easy to see that Chris is very well educated, experienced, and fluent in his chosen field of speaker design. And he is also very talented in communicating the pros and cons of the designs. Bravo!

8 Likes

Well said. I enjoyed Chris’s talk. He stays well bellow the techno stratosphere so we can easily understand how complex systems become a marketable reality. Looks like the FR10 will follow this lineage and complement the line strengths and tighter budgets.

4 Likes

To follow up that tech talk on our speakers, here are some measurements showing our 6.5" midwoofer. Note the very linear and symmetrical behavior and so it doesn’t reach it’s “Xmax” distortion limit until it’s moving nearly 3/4" peak to peak. This puts it in a pretty elite class of performance (low distortion and high output) for a 6.5" woofer and compares favorably in displacement limited output to a lot of high performance 8" woofers.

displacement limits
BL(x)
Kms(x) FR5
Le(x)

10 Likes

And @luca.pelliccioli likes symmetry

1 Like

Your hard work and dedication shows up in the end product.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m excited to get some ears on these!

6 Likes

I can not wait for them to come out!