FR20 vs FR30

Paul said in his as-usual great video yesterday that he didn’t think that he could tell an audible difference between them with his eyes closed.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them in a home environment?

1 Like

Not owning either one I cant give a hands on review but I am sure that the very bottom end would be less present in the FR20.
Other than fewer woofers I think the performance would be very similar as the components for the most part are the same.

1 Like

Since the question was smart phone recordings on youtube, I couldn’t be sure if Paul was saying he couldn’t hear a difference in actual room, or on youtube/smartphone recording…

my FR20’s will arrive this week, but I have a pair of REL subs…

2 Likes

Sort of yes. I have the FR20 at home and absolutely love them. I have heard the FR30 and FR20 in the same environment at Axpona, and have heard the FR30 in a house environment, but not the FR20 and FR30 in the same house environment.
The bass seems fuller and deeper on the FR30 versus the FR20. I have 2 SVS subs that I use with the FR20, but have the subs set with 30hz as the upper cutoff point and have their volume set at -25db to -30db. While the FR20 sounds better with the subs on, the subs are there only for the lowest frequencies.

4 Likes

FR20’s arrived yesterday…first CD sounded incredibly open but a little rough…been streaming Haydn Symphonies past 20 hours and will listen to CD again soon…but very excited based on initial listen…

7 Likes

only 35 hours on the speakers, but I just put in a Chesky jazz CD and I’m very extremely impressed…

3 Likes

anyone in Sarasota area with FR speakers?

would like to hear

1 Like

Yes! Thanks for sharing. Keep us in the loop and post a picture when you can!

5 Likes

9 Likes

waiting until speakers fully broken in to fully adjust room and finalize setup, but they are sounding great this morning with now about 45 - 50 hours of playing music

5 Likes

I guess they sound good with Pass pre and power amps?

1 Like

Absolutely…Pass Labs XA160.8 Class A mono blocks, and XP-22 Pre…PS Audio digital…

2 Likes

:drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

2 Likes

close to 100 hours now and the FR20’s are amazing and totally wonderful…

4 Likes

Excellent!

Go, go, go! Thanks again for keeping us in the loop.

1 Like

I think they might be even better again this morning…I’m extremely pleased Paul, they are everything I hoped for and more !!! … and they replaced excellent speakers, Dali Epicon 8 that I had for 8 years, the longest of any speaker in my main system…I will slowly tweak placement, the room, and subwoofer settings overt the next few weeks…again, many many thanks…and James was totally awesome as always in getting this all done…

4 Likes

Anyone in the NYC area willing to show off their FR20s?