SURELY by now someone has heard the FR20 and FR30

…and can compare them and tell us about differences? Or does PSA never show them ‘together’?

I’m fantasizing about upgrading.

I heard them playing the same music at Axpona. The FR 20’s we’re playing first music was the pipe organ track off of one of the octave recordings. It sounded great! Paul said let’s pause the music and switch the 20’s out with the FR 30’s. The results are what you would expect from a speaker that size, deeper more articulate bass coming from the FR 30’s but the FR 20’s were no slouch.

3 Likes

Everyone at the show did when asked. :blush:

2 Likes

I heard them both as well, same music on both. Pretty much as paul172 said - the FR30 have a bit more of a wallop in the extreme low end, play a bit larger. But honestly I liked the FR20 more. Seemed just a bit more seamlessly linear from top to bottom. Whether that was due to the room, the setup, the FR20 just not being able to go as low and put out as much oomph, some other difference between the two, who knows? Maybe it was just me liking them better. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Maybe so, but they sure didn’t post those opinions here.

How about airiness of the treble that the rear tweeter is supposed to enhance? Or do I misunderstand that?

And are they different in warmth? That two-octave region of about 100 to 400Hz that makes music so rich and sttractive?

Several others have mentioned that they liked the FR20 over the FR30. I thought just the opposite, but like both FR20 & FR30. There was more of a richness in the bass with the FR30 over the FR20, leading to a fuller sound, but i already have 2 subwoofers, so am less concerned. Some music that I am familiar with were played on the FR20 on Sunday and they sounded REALLY good. So open, so clean, so magical, with wonderful female vocals. I am thinking about getting a pair of FR20 but am on the fence because of finally getting my current speakers (Sonist Audio Concerto 4) sounding just right.

1 Like

Visit the “Axpona” thread

2 Likes

I love them both and would be happy with either. The only way you are going to get a definitive answer is to listen to them both yourself. I have done this and for me the difference is who cares. Nothing we say here is going to be worth your consideration. Really.

6 Likes

I liked the bottom end of the FR30, but if I had the FR20, I would not miss it.
Not surprisingly, they both had the same character which I liked very much.
Aesthetically, I preferred the relative compactness of the FR20.

6 Likes

….and don’t call me Shirley! :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ve had the FR30’s for nearly a year, and they seem nice :slightly_smiling_face:. Subsequent upgrades in amps, DAC, cables, and yes, even fuses, have made them sound even better. The FR20 vs. FR30 debate is almost academic give what is in front of them will probably show more variance than what lies between the transducers. Throw on top of this the recording itself and your mood and who knows what you will get, especially if evaluating under show conditions. A good speaker gets your team in the ballpark but it’s the acquisition and shuffling of the players that support it can really make it great.

8 Likes

@straightwire Have you ever dialed down (or covered) the rear tweeter to hear what it adds?

I’d be curious.

I haven’t taken a deep dive on adjusting the rear tweeter output. It is set on the lowest “on” setting.
On occasion I have turned it it off and noticed little or no difference, so not enough data for a clear conclusion. I guess my set-and-forget status, or pure laziness, is driven by it sounds fine where it is.

1 Like

I’ve had “theoretical” responses to FR20 with 2 REL subs, vs FR30 with no subs - anyone actually heard these…I already own the subs…

Hopefully someone can chime in with actual experience specifically with the FR20 & subs. When at Axpona, the FR30 did sound better than the FR20 (to my ears, and was because of bass extension). Many of us (probably includes you as well) know how subwoofers help by opening up our systems. The midrange and tweeter are the magical components of the FR30 & FR20, which is why it is easy to talk in theory about complementing the FR20 with subs. I am on the fence regarding purchasing the FR20, which i would use with 2 SVS SB3000 subwoofers. Maybe I will be able to chime in soon with actual experience, unless you become able to chime in first :wink:

1 Like

Subwoofers are essential for my listening with my '20s, but that applies to ALL main speakers I’ve had for many decades (I’m 79 years old and have been an audiophile since age 14)… I use two sealed Rythmic 18"ers driven by the main-L/R signals, and I set the lo-pass filters to their lowest frequency of 25Hz and the level controls fairly low… The resulting bottom-octave bass is never directional, and with the 25Hz filter, the sound is never thick–that bottom-octave energy is just there in the room… I LOVE IT!

I’ve abandoned my lust for a pair of '30s and will use my '20s and SWs for a LONG time. :smile:

FWIW, my Oppo '205-based ‘direct-drive’ SACD-playing system continues to sound nothing short of fabulous, and I’m VERY happy with my 5(+ SWs)-channel audio system which quickly and easily turns into a 7(+ SWs).0.4 movie system.

4 Likes

Well, I heard the FR30’s again yesterday. To describe their sound I have to use my current speakers as a reference, and yes, I am sometimes strongly descriptive.
My Sonist speakers have a wonderful bloom with female vocals. Musical instruments sound realistic on good recordings. There is proper weight to each instrument. There is proper weight to male & female vocals. Songs like “Flying Blind” by Clandestine Amigo sound just incredible. Driven by the BHK pre & M1200’s and with proper speaker setup (location and just the right toe-in) the sound is wonderfully musical.
The FR30’s are just better, an entirely different level better. So much cleaner, even more musical and way more open sounding than my current speakers, and my current speakers are open sounding. There is an air with vocals and individual instruments with the FR30 that is simply intoxicating.

10 Likes

WOW! Thank you very much.

1 Like

(I think the same applies to the FR20)

4 Likes