FR30 Set Up, Tweaks and Burn In

As there seems to be limited information on setting up, tweaking and burn in time for the new FR30’s on the internet, I thought I’d start this thread for FR30 owner’s to share their experiences.

I just got my new FR30’s 4 days ago (along with new BHK pre, 300 mono’s and P15) and have been playing them 24 hours a day. They are decent out of the box but I am noticing some changes in the positive in clarity and detail each day but it seems to be changing slowly.

What are other FR30 owners experiencing in burn in time and changes as time goes on?
How much toe in are you using on your speakers?
Anyone tried after market footers? If yes, which brand and what are the effects?

4 Likes

Excellent idea.

1 Like

agreed - good post. Sounds like you have a great group of new kit burning it, i am sure it will take a week at least.

I have question on footers also - my FR30’s are on uneven hardwood floor, so i removed the end cap spike on the included feet. I have moved around and messed with bottoms, but still a bit wobbly just on the plastic included puck (footer without spike). I was going to try Herbies, and put the cap spike back on- concern is the spike provided isnt a real spike as the end is flattened out. So - i am not sure how it will work with a footer made for a spike. Thoughts or other suggestions?

I would hope they get better than that!

Most new stuff takes quite awhile to break in so be patient

I have been using their supplied “carpet” mover pads (which may be your plastic puck) on the bottom of my speakers on a hardwood floor so they are easier to move around as I fine tune the speakers as they burn in. I had no issues in levelling the speakers and getting them quite stable with these pads. Once they burn in, I’ll try going directly on the plastic footers in which the carpet movers are currently screwed in and then maybe try aftermarket isolation footers which I’ve had great success with my past speakers.

It would be interesting to hear (including from Chris or Paul) if anyone has tried any of the isolation footers (such as Isoacoustic GAIA 1’s) and their affect on these speakers.

With all that new gear, it’s probably more than just the speakers changing with time.

I replaced the supplied FR30 points with Isoacoustic Gaia Theis and it made a huge difference. The bass is much tighter and defined, and the soundstage became much more focused and deeper. I found similar improvements when the Isoacoustic isolators were used on my other speakers.

11 Likes

PSA should supply Gaia feet as standard! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Curious to see if anyone tries Townshend Podiums.

I am a big believer in the IsoAcoustics products, but have been curious about the Townshend.

I am bi-footer curious.

3 Likes

Glad the new feet worked for you. In my situation, the FR30’s are on thin carpet over concrete and the stock spikes contact the surface pretty well. In addition, the stock feet allow me to tilt the speaker down for better tonal balance. So, I don’t know if they would improve things but you’ve peeked my interest. Time to tweak!

Will get my Podiums in the end of September for my Sopra 2, will share an experience.

4 Likes

I went from Gaia 2 to Townshend Podiums on my Kanta 2. Similar effects but the Podiums were quite a bit more effective. At the time I thought sort of 50% better. At the changeover I thought I had spent my dollars well.

3 Likes

If possible, it would be great to see some pics. Thanks!

1 Like

Uploading: image.jpg…