Fuse Question DSD

Thank you Elk.

I will be replacing my DSD and BHK Pre fuses with SR Reds or Blacks.

SR just came out with a Blue fuse that may be worth considering. Supposed to be their new top of the line.

Perfect! I think we have the perfect tester!

Managed to open my DSD DAC today for upgrading the fuse.

There are 2 pcs T 1A fuses, only the digital fuse is in use, analogue is spare with 120 vac present at the clip on fuse holder.

I have now upgraded the digital fuse with the SR Red T 1A slow blow.

Here are some pictures: IMG_51151.JPGIMG_51181.JPGIMG_51191.JPGIMG_51171.JPG

Terryakhan,

Out of curiousity, you were able to remove the analogue one and it stopped working? My understanding has always been from every post I read in here that the analogue is not used in the DSD Dac.

The Analog fuse isn’t used and is indeed a spare. The “Digital” fuse protects four supplies, one of which is used for the analog card. Feel free to test by removing the “Analog” fuse.

My apologizes Veneet and all please, my mistake, corrected my post.

Yes only the Digital fuse is active, the analogue fuse is spare. I just double checked and will be labeling it for future owners.

Measured 120 vac on the analogue fuse, surely, I thought it was in the circuit.

No apologies required at all!

I am actually happy that you checked, its been in the back of my head forever, wishing that I tried taking it out when the cover was off!!

Hi, guys.

I’m thinking about replacing my DSD’s fuse but I got confused because there’s no outside fuse holder and no fuse indication in the manual too.

Could someone please tell me what’s the fuse characteristics and show me at least a photo where is it located inside DSD?

By the way, my mains are 220VAC where I live.

Thanks in advance!

Go here to our How To and it’s the same for DirectStream http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-change-fuses-in-a-pwd-or-pwt/

Not clear on how to tell which of the 2 fuses I should replace. Does anyone have an illustration or pic? thanks!

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-change-fuses-in-a-pwd-or-pwt/

I think he’s referring to the fact that the DS has two fuses but only one is actually in the circuit.

Steve, that’s correct. I’ll assume I’ll figure out how to get the chassis open and locate the fuses, but I wasn’t sure how to tell which is the active/used one to replace.

thanks!

My recollection is that the active fuse is the one closer to the digital and analog boards.
To be sure, remove the other fuse and apply power. The unit should still power up.

Jonm…I think the fuse holders are marked digital and analog beside their respective slots. The analog slot is for a spare.

2 Likes

Greetings,

What is the fuse specification for the Direct Stream JR?

Just ordered a JR this afternoon, and was curious as to (1) is a quality fuse used (even the $2 jobs are better than the 10 cent ones), and (2) what the fuse specification is?

Looking forward to receiving my new JR.

Thank you.

I’ve got an SR Blue fuse coming today, and I’m wondering about their statement that these are “directional”, and exactly what that means (if anything) on an alternating current line?
(It might be apparent that I am skeptical about the performance claims.)

Can anyone tell me what is the “correct” orientation for this in a DSD, or is that part just plain BS?

I’d just try it both ways and see if I hear a difference. If I don’t it doesn’t matter, if I do I’d know the answer. You won’t hurt the fuse or the DS in doing so.

This has always been the source of my skepticism of directionality of fuses in an AC circuit. But perhaps they operate as some sort of filter in one direction. Yet, if so, would not the manufacturer know and tell us? Regardless, as Ted notes, either it will make a difference, or not.

Please let us know what you determine.