fuse swap out in Stellar DAC/S300 combo

Hi,

I have been reading online and in Paul’s posts about replacing fuses with better ones. I have both the Gain Cell DAC and the S300 I got as a combo. I have upgraded my power cables and outlet with PS Audio already and they run through a passive line conditioner power box. I saw a picture of the inside of a S300 on one of the posts and could see a fuse on the PS board right by the incoming power connector. I was looking to see if you could answer these questions for me please.

1. Do you know if anyone replaced the fuses in the Stellar DAC and Stellar S300.

2. If so, did they say it make a difference?

3. What are the sizes and VA/W specs of the fuses in the Stellar DAC and Stellar S300?

4. Can you suggest a fuse to get that would work best?

5. Will this void my warranty?

6. Have you thought of having a “special fuse” as an option when ordering PS Audio devices? This maybe just too much trouble to have a separate line of manufacturing and storing? Now that I have been bitten by the PS Audio bug with the Stellar line, I hope to upgrade to other PS Audio devices in the future. It would be a nice option to have the ability to add to the ordering process and come pre-installed.

Sorry for all the questions, but I don’t want to just grab a screwdriver and tear open the covers without asking you some questions first.

Thanks,

Scott Moore

The S300 doesn’t have a fuse.

SGCD is 1.6A small slo blo. You access in the back with a flathead (no need to take top off).

I have tried the SR Black and SR Blue.

Blue is better, Black is still very good. The stock fuse is warmer but a little blurry in comparison. Everything is defined better with the SR fuses and clearer imaging. The changes you hear should be consistent but they will still depend on your system tuning (speaker wire, interconnects, power cables, etc…).

$150 for a tiny fuse? If you have a power surge and the fuse pops, there goes $150. I hope the investment is worth it.

Many feel the investment is well worth it. The amount is small for the reported improvements, particularly when one considers the price of cables, vibration control, etc.

The very purpose of a hobby is to waste time and money. Replacing a fuse fits well.

I was looking at these PADIS’s ones that are just under $35 to see first. I have heard good things about them too. I was looking for the spec on the fuse, something like this from PS Audio: 15A 250V 5x20mm

Also hard for me to believe I have a fuse in my SGCD, but not the S300 amp? Why would PS Audio do that?

Thanks

Scott

120V 1.6A slow blow

230V 1A slow blow

100V 2A slow blow

Although not in my PS Audio equipment I’ve used “boutique” fuses in my amplification and pre-amplfication components for over five years with not a singe blown fuse.

cxp said

120V 1.6A slow blow

230V 1A slow blow

100V 2A slow blow

Thanks CXP, do you know the size by chance?

lonson said Although not in my PS Audio equipment I've used "boutique" fuses in my amplification and pre-amplfication components for over five years with not a singe blown fuse.
They should, of course, not blow any more often than a regular fuse.

I have often wondered how effective such fuses are protecting equipment but I have yet to hear any horror story of a specialty fuse failing to blow with resultant equipment failure.

smoorenc said

Thanks CXP, do you know the size by chance?

Small.

They come in two sizes, small and large.

Elk said

The very purpose of a hobby is to waste time and money.

You funny guy Mr. Elk!