Fuses for the BHK Preamp

I will add that the difference was noticeable within the first minute of auditioning the same track across both fuse orientations. In other words, it was a very obvious difference

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Ok here is a new one: The new HiFi Tuning Supreme3 vs SR Orange fuses.

Anyone here tried the new Supreme3 yet?

This kid has and also very familar with the SR Orange sq so comparisons
in sq can now be shared.

So here is the info regarding the new Supreme3

HiFi-Tuning, of Berlin, Germany, has released a new higher performing version of their industry-leading fuses called ā€œSupreme.ā€

The new line of Supreme fuses is made, tip-to-tip of 99% Silver impregnated with 1% Gold, similar to the material used in the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold Capacitors.

Mundorf also developed a special Copper/Silver/Gold solder for use in the Supreme fuses called MSolder SUPREME. Due to its remarkable conductivity, this Mundorf-manufactured solder is second to none.

HiFi-Tuningā€™s99% Silver + 1% Gold melt wire used exclusively in the Supreme fuse sis resonance-optimized, and the fuses are housed in a black ceramic case, which is also optimized to control vibration.

To understand the advantage of the 99% Silver + 1% Gold combination, think about silverā€™s crystalline structure. The drawing process for silver(or copper) wire causes micro cracks in the surface of the wire. The cooling process also results in imperfect crystal grid structures.Both of these ā€œdeformities,ā€ relative to the ideal of a perfect conductor, result in surface distortion when current flows through the wire. The addition of 24K gold fills the micro cracks and the empty spaces between the crystal boundaries to improve transmission properties, while also inhibiting the surface oxidation and tarnishing that will occur over time otherwise.

These custom, precious metal fuses are also cryogenically treated using Europeā€™s only cryo system from Cryogenics International. Finally, the Supreme fuses are treated with a proprietary quantum level process.

The new Supreme fuses answer a frequently asked question about which is better: Original Gold-plated or SilverStar. The new HiFi-Tuning Supreme is the best fuse in the world.

The above information is from the manufacturer.

So now how do the new Supreme3s compare with the SR Orange fuses sound
qualityā€¦

Here we go:

As many of you have found out the SR Orange fuses are very detailed with
great layering detail, speed, transient clarity, depth, width and height (x,y,z axis).
To some may sound thin to others exactly what the doctor ordered

The Supreme3s on the other hand yield bloom, blossom as in vintage tube gear
in a good wayā€¦not the derogatory tubey connotation. The Supreme3s have good
detail, layering and quickness. Bass is some ripe particularly compared to the
SR Orange.

Yet the Supreme3s are very pleasing in so many respects that I am considering
keeping them in my Emotiva XSP1 Gen2 preampā€¦The richness in instrumental,
and vocal music gives a very inviting glow on program materialā€¦but does not
tend to be intrusiveā€¦just there. The ripeness in the bass seems to be tightening
up as the hours of use increase.

While I really like the SR Oranges, and what I have just described about the Supreme3s
is in a way frustratingā€¦because how do you roll these 2 up in one combined package.

Am thinking of getting the Supreme3s for my P15 and my JC5 ampā€¦and play around
with which to use in preamp, power amp, and P15ā€¦ Ought to be interesting.

So hopefully this sheds some light as to fuse choices.

Best wishes

2 Likes

I compared the hifi tuning, the SR orange and the Audio magic beewax fuses directly. It was really no competition. The Beewax are way better in every category and they lift the BHK preamp in another league. After this experience I changed all fuses in my whole system.

Iā€™ve found the Beeswax to not be directional, how about you?

I only have one in the analog supply for the DS, lowly SR Blue in the preamp. SR Blue and Orange are directional to my ears.

I only used them the way my dealer told me. I will change direction tonight and will give you a feedback.

@brett66 I figured it out and found them to sound best with the inscription ā€žSHDā€œ facing into the preamp. There is definitely more bass slam.

1 Like

David,
How long did you let each fuse break in? If at all? Do they improve with longer break-in?

My SR Black in my BHK Preamp blew last week after Iā€™d wiggled the power cable connection down at the P10 (Now I know not to do that . . . . :slight_smile: ) The Oranges went off sale at VH Audio a week ago, so Iā€™ll just get another Blue for the time being and either wait for the Oranges to go back on sale or wait for the Supreme3 to get shipped across the pond.

One of the things I noticed with my BHK 250 amp is that there was a big jump in performance when I replaced the stock rail fast-blow fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes. I never was able to convince Paul to try it, but then again he had the BHK300 monoblocks and never bothered to try the better rail fuses on the BHK250 (or for that matter, the BHK300) I wonder, tho, if it matters on the BHK300. Because for the same volume level driving the same speakers, each half of the BHK300 Igain power output circuitry has to work half as hard as the BHK250, ergo, each rail fuse has at least double the current (maybe?) as the BHK300ā€™s. So going to a better fuse on the rails may have more significance in sonic quality on the BHK250ā€™ than the BHK300ā€™s.

Anyway, really liked it when I put in the rail fuses in the 250 as it was a lot cheaper than two 300 monoblocks! :slight_smile: The reason I stuck with the 250 was that Iā€™d ordered it after waiting over 5 years for it to be developed, finally got S/N #9 of the 250, and then a few weeks later Paul announced the 300 and there was no real way to exchange the 250 for a pair of 300ā€™s. But, oh well.

So, yeah, let us know if the fuses sound better as they break in.

Thanks!

ā€“SSW

2 Likes

S/N 9 is rather fun.

Hey Streetsā€¦

I thought Paul did use non stock standard fusesā€¦hmmm

My Sureme3s new version of the Supreme has been fairly quick to burn inā€¦maybe
100 hours or soā€¦going in brand new (main fuse only not the rails) the fuses were
a bit congestedā€¦boomey bassā€¦but rather quickly opened up and bass tightened
up with better resolution in the entire frequency range.

Vis a vis the SR Oranges ā€¦the Oranges took about 300 hours to burn in

While the Oranges are highly detailedā€¦they donā€™t have the euphonic
body that the Supreme3s bring to the table along with beautiful spatial
detail that I much prefer to the Orangesā€¦

Howeverā€¦I do have the Orange in my P15, but the Supreme3s in my new JC5
and Emotiva XSP1 Gen2 preamp as of now makes a great comboā€¦

Now on to your questionā€¦yes indeed the Supreme3s benefit from burn in
and will open more. What I am finding are subtleties that were once there
with Oranges now becoming more spatially 3d and with better tone ā€¦my .02

Now Paul it is now time that you did if you havenā€™t done so yet.

Best wishes

1 Like

David,
OK, good to know that the Supreme3ā€™s open up with break-in. Maybe as good (or a tad better) than the Orange? I had bought my SR Black when they were on sale ā€“ 3 weeks before the Blue came out (which is why the Black were on sale! :slight_smile: ) Yeah, my timing is awful.

But it sounds like we can wait until the Supreme3 works its way to this side of the pond and I might pick up a set for the BHK 250 and preamp.

Thanks!

ā€“SSW

1 Like

Elk,

Yeah, until the binding posts got loose and I had to send it back. But itā€™s working fine now.

Gads I remember it took over 5 years to develop: I met Paul at a local store in 2010 when the PWD first came out and said I needed a replacement for my Streets 950, and the BHK didnā€™t come out until, what, 2016?

So, yeah the Streets was 32 years old at that point, hence S/N #9.

1 Like

David uses the Supreme 3S (Silver). I use Supreme3Cu (Copper). Both are great. Each shows the characteristics of is metal. The copper of the Cu fuses is supplied by Cardas and admittedly, took longer to burn-in.

1 Like

Hey Streetsā€¦

Whether the Supreme3 (au over ag filamint) or the graphene SR fuses Orange, Blue or Black
is betterā€¦is more a matter of taste and preferences in sound.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

1 Like

David,

It helps somewhat. ideally one would want to try both, let them burn in, and then compare. But that would cost quite a bit of time and money. It may just boil down to whichever is cheaper, go for that brand, and be done with it.

When were the Supreme3ā€™s released? Just recently? I see no mention of them on any USA vendorsā€™ websites. Are they packaged differently? or just new versions of the old Supremes in the same package? if itā€™s the latter, then Iā€™d have no idea if the fuse was the new or old version.

Thanks!

ā€“SSW

1 Like

Here you can find where hi-fi tuning fuses come from and all the info: āœ… HiFi-Tuning Feinsicherungen (Audio Fuses)

Hey Streetsā€¦the new Supreme3s are quite new on the market maybe a
few months ā€¦oddly the only way I found out about the Supreme3 was
through our bud Serhanā€¦

When I went on the US suppliers sites it was only when reading the
descriptor of the Supreme (not listed as the Supreme3) that then
I found outā€¦

When I spoke with my rep was surprised when
I mentioned the differences ā€¦he then went to the descriptor of the fuse.
He was surprised that he hadnā€™t been notified of the change!!

Yes the packaging for the new Supreme3 small fuse is a new packaging
the large one still comes in a tube

My fuse story starts with the original silver only Supreme on my then P12.
The improvement was a very pronounced improvement over stock.

Then came the SR Blueā€¦faster more dynamic detailā€¦then came the Orangesā€¦
like the Blue the Oranges needed a lot of ā€œsauteeingā€ timeā€¦

The differences were that while Blue was very good the Orange tops it in all
categoriesā€¦

My fav so far is the the new Supreme3 in my preamp and Parasound JC5 with
the Orange in my new P15ā€¦

Iā€™m still tinkering around with the position but it appears the Supreme3s remain in my pre
and power amp with Orange in P15.

So it pays to pay the price of ā€œtuitionā€ for the learning experienceā€¦

Best wishes Streets in your adventure

1 Like

And whatever you do, donā€™t try the Beeswax fuses. :innocent:

1 Like

Everybody talks about the beeswax fuses, but when I go to the website there are various flavors, so I donā€™t know which ones the discussion is about.

ā€“SSW

David,

I contacted Chris at VH Audio about the Supreme3. He said thatā€™s what heā€™d been stocking for years and showed me the invoice.