Fuses In the DirectStream Question

ksalno said
assisi said
Which is the active fuse or is it obvious by looking? From memory there were two fuses in the DS upgrade kit. Was one just a spare? If so it is a generous gesture by PS Audio. John

According to the recent article in Stereophile, the fuse in position F1 is the active one. They used HiFi Tuning Supremes and according to Robert Deutsche, it improved the clarity of the DS + PW combo he was testing. (He upgraded the fuses in both).

Yes he did use supremes. However as I previously noted the SR Red fuse will be a noticeable improvement as everyone who has used both will attest. Read the reviews of the Red fuse and you’ll see. In my system I have replaced all my supreme fuses with Red except my PWT which still has SR20 fuses and have noted an obvious improvement in all areas. Give them a shot. With 30 day money back guarantee you’ve got nothing to lose and all to gain.

Odd

Anyone know the rating of the one in the PWT?

tony22 said Anyone know the rating of the one in the PWT?
Exactly the same as the DS fuses. 1 amp slow blow short fuse.
Paul McGowan said
Dragon Leader said

Does opening the DS void the waranty?

Since I bought the DS as a complete Unit I don’t have the all-thread screws to open the DS yet. I’m living in Japan therefor I’m not sure if I can get them here. Does PS Audio sell those seperately?

Best Regards

Hi Dirk. You will not void the warranty unless you damage something, which is unlikely. Some companies are weird about the warranty, penalizing you for even opening the unit, that';s not our style. We want you to be happy. You don't even need all thread, just a two inch long screw will be ok, once the top comes off you can then carefully remove the screws before removing the top cover. All threads are just easier. I am sure we can mail you some if you wish, contact us via email. If it were me, I'd just go to the hardware store and get some super long screws - but I am impatient.
Thank you for your answer. I will send an E-mail about the srews later.

I would like to ask another question. I would like to register my DS but I’m not entirely sure which company to choose. As you allready know I live in Japan, and I bought the Direct Stream at a company called Biccamera which is a bigger electronics store chain in Japan. This store is not in your list, but the company where the DS originally was imported by Kanjitsu Denki is in it. Which company should I choose for the registration?

Further more I have a question about the serail number. On the Kanjitsu warraty card there is at the end of the serial number (which is of course the same as on the unit) a “B” in brackets added, like this “(B)”. I guess this is just the info about the color, my DS is a black one. How shall I enter the serial number with the “(B)” or without?

I’m sorry for causing so much work, just want to do the registration right, to get the waranty.

Best Regards

Dirk

Yes he did use supremes. However as I previously noted the SR Red fuse will be a noticeable improvement as everyone who has used both will attest.

Odd

could you say more about what improvement means to you? more relaxed, better bass, more transparent? thanks.

PYP said
Yes he did use supremes. However as I previously noted the SR Red fuse will be a noticeable improvement as everyone who has used both will attest. Odd

could you say more about what improvement means to you? more relaxed, better bass, more transparent? thanks.

I agree that would an important thing to know. Depending on the system the fuses could also have a negative effect. For example if they tend to improve the bass and your system has allready a good bass it might be too much.

Dragon Leader said

… I would like to register my DS but I’m not entirely sure which company to choose.

You can register the DS on this (the PSAudio) site. Click on “My PS” in the top menu and then on “Register products”. I’m also in Japan, and that’s what I did.

You have probably noticed that the warranty card from Kanjitsu says “1 year warranty”. PSAudio supports the DS for three years, so there is no reason for Kanjitsu to do less, even if the first year has passed.

Wim

That’s not necessarily the case. Outside of the US warranty work is handled by the distributors (which is one of the reasons costs are higher). I don’t know if they always follow the PSA domestic warranty policies. Hopefully somebody from PSA will chime in.

PYP said
Yes he did use supremes. However as I previously noted the SR Red fuse will be a noticeable improvement as everyone who has used both will attest. Odd

Exactly. Plus more detailed and far more balanced not tilted as the supremes are. Read the reviews and you’ll know exactly how much better. My sound stage is huge and open, airy with the Red fuses.

Odd

Hallo, I have a 230V version, does anybody know if it is also 1A slow fuse for 230V?

In my system I have replaced all my supreme fuses with Red except my PWT which still has SR20 fuses and have noted an obvious improvement in all areas.

Odd

How does the SR20 compare to the reds? I tried both SR20 and Furutech in my previous DAC and preferred the Furutech - a warmer presentation compared to the just-the-facts SR20. Thanks.

PYP said
In my system I have replaced all my supreme fuses with Red except my PWT which still has SR20 fuses and have noted an obvious improvement in all areas.

Odd

How does the SR20 compare to the reds? I tried both SR20 and Furutech in my previous DAC and preferred the Furutech - a warmer presentation compared to the just-the-facts SR20. Thanks.

Read the reviews on the Eed fuses. Says it all. Not the same animal. Also it’s possible you had the SR20 in backwards. That does give an in your face presentation. Properly aligned they are extremely musical and natural. The Red more so with more meat and even more balanced. Reviews are spot on.

Having replaced the factory fuse in my Directstream with an SR Red fuse (F-1 only) and approximately 40 hours of “run time”, I have experienced the following:

1. Dramatic expansion of lateral soundstage but shallower depth.

2. Dramatic expansion of frequency response at the extremes, but seemingly “tipped up” on both ends.

3. A loss of the only thing I can describe as the organic, visceral, “this performance is here and now” sound that preceded the fuse change.

4. A sound now that has a seemingly sterile, rigid, and, as someone else has described, an “in your face” component that makes me remember my Magnavox CD-650.

What in my system (Proac Response 2.5, Kimber Bifocal XL and Select 1030 inter., Van Alstine 400R, Oppo 103-D and Bryston BDP-2) may have “reacted” to this fuse change or could the fuse be defective?

Many Thanks in Advance, John

Which direction did you put the fuse in?

The written letters on the body of the fuse are oriented in line with the path of the initial inflow of current (i.e., back to front).

jedi1 said The written letters on the body of the fuse are oriented in line with the path of the initial inflow of current (i.e., back to front).
That is the correct orientation. Wow. Mine sounds the exact opposite. I have Red fuses in both F1and F2 slots and sounds magnificent. Also in both P10's. So much better than the SR20 fuses which were my reference. Visually my Kuro Elite plasma is stunning since I replaced my P10 fuse that powers that side of my system.

I am at a loss as to why yours would sound like that.

Much more depth, layering, width , air spaciousness, air and voices and tonal color with the Red fuses. Bass has even more solidity goes lower with more heft and cleaner so much so I hear bass details on upright bass I never heard before.

Odd

Thanks, Odd…beats me, too. Really did not expect this. I am going to pop the top one more time and make sure that it is in the “correct” direction, check cable dressing, etc before giving up. Thanks Again, John

jedi1 said Thanks, Odd.....beats me, too. Really did not expect this. I am going to pop the top one more time and make sure that it is in the "correct" direction, check cable dressing, etc before giving up. Thanks Again, John
Good luck John. Hoping this corrects somehow.

How many hrs do you have on it now?

I’ve noted over the weeks mine seems to get better and better. HT system powered by P10 with the Red fuse is getting really amazing as well.

Hang in there.

No one has mentioned the Furutech fuses. Don’t know how they compare to the SR Red, but they were a noticeable improvement over the everything else I’d tried - Acme, Audio Magic, Hi-Fi Tuning Silver and Supreme, and a couple of others.

highstream said No one has mentioned the Furutech fuses. Don't know how they compare to the SR Red, but they were a noticeable improvement over the everything else I'd tried - Acme, Audio Magic, Hi-Fi Tuning Silver and Supreme, and a couple of others.
They are excellent fuses certainly. Better than HFT Supreme. Just not quite the equal of what the Red's can achieve all things being equal.